PDA

View Full Version : Using the mouse for viewport naviagtion

BeeVee
05-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey all,

I've used the keyboard shortcuts since forever to manipulate the viewports in Layout and Modeler, but yesterday an idea occurred to me (don't know why I didn't think of it before). I have a Logitech Performance MX mouse and an Anywhere MX for when I'm using the laptop. Both have Forward and Back buttons on the left side of the mouse. I have had Deselect for Modeler and VPR for Layout assigned to the Back button for a long time, but the Forward button gets used on an as-necessary basis for making oft-repeated commands a bit quicker, but it's not permanently fixed like the Back button.

I decided to try assigning Alt to the Forward button in Setpoint, the driver software for Logitech mice. This now means that I can zoom with the Scroll wheel in Layout, when pressing Fwd at the same time, and also translate orthogonal viewports in Modeler or rotate the perspective viewport, without needing to use the keyboard at all (if you want to pan the Perspective viewport you still need to hold Shift on the Keyboard obviously).

You can also use it in Layout to snap items together by moving one item, holding down Fwd when you get near another item and bop, the two snap together.

B

PS. The Anywhere MX's Fwd button isn't as comfortable to use, but the Performance MX Fwd button feels very comfortable for me

spieluhr_x
06-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Nice, I own a Anywhere MX but haven't used the FWD/BCK buttons so far for anything, gonna try this :P

Markc
06-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Ben, as your looking for a solution to navigate viewports with your mouse, seeing as your part of the Lightwave Development Team, It would be nice to get the 3D Connexion mice to work once and for all (i.e. 3D Coat works perfect) :D:rolleyes:

BeeVee
06-29-2015, 02:23 AM
Hi Mark,

I find the 3D mouse navigation much better now in 2015, what particular issues are you having?

B

Markc
06-29-2015, 01:54 PM
It's just not as fluid in LW as 3D Coat (unless there are certain settings I need to enter).
Without any configuration in 3D Coat, when you move the 3D mouse, it's like your holding a virtual camera, i.e. Pushing/pulling the mouse zooms in/out, rotate the mouse, rotates around the object. I just can't seem to do this in LW!

jeric_synergy
08-14-2015, 02:46 PM
(i THINK there was a more recent thread about mouse navigation, but I couldn't locate it...((thaannks, forum Search)):

I'm using a wireless Logitech (yay Logitech) mouse, very simple (LX8), but it DOES have Forward/Back buttons. I can easily program the Back (thumb) button to emulate the ALT key, but what I'd REALLY like it do is emulate the ALT key plus the LMB(down). This would allow extremely easy viewport panning/perspective rotation. Thumb+LWM is an unpleasant 'pinching' action which I certainly do not want to do a lot.

Anybody got input on how to get a logitech mouse button to do a keypress AND a mouse button emulation???

(Kudos to Logitech® for their clean hardware and software. I wuvv ooo.)