PDA

View Full Version : Foam Rubber Texture?

Tony3d
05-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Hi all, Having a real challenge right now trying to make a good looking black foam rubber texture. any ideas?

MSherak
05-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Hi all, Having a real challenge right now trying to make a good looking black foam rubber texture. any ideas?

Got a link to some sample images that you are thinking about since there are many ways this can be harded into a surface.

Tony3d
05-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Here's a portion of the product.

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 03:17 AM
Here's a soft packing foam rubber I made the other day. I used IFW2 for the surface bump texture, but you might well be able to knock something up with the standard nodes if you don't have it:

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Here's a soft packing foam rubber I made the other day. I used IFW2 for the surface bump texture, but you might well be able to knock something up with the standard nodes if you don't have it:

That looks really good! I have an older version of the texture program, but it no longer runs on my OS. I tried to make it with nodes, but I just don't have enough experience with them. How much is it to upgrade?

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 04:54 AM
I'm exactly the opposite, I just can't get the hang of layers! :)

Not sure how much an upgrade would be, best bet would be to drop Richard a message, he's a nice chap and I'm sure he'd sort you out.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 05:13 AM
Here's something I did in layers, but it just doesn't look right. needs those specular highlights I just can't seem to push up without brightening the whole object. Can anyone produce this effect with regular nodes perhaps?

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Can anyone give me an example using Lightwave nodes or layers?

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Busy now, will later. Post your demo object so I can get the scaling right.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Really not sure I can post the entire object, so 5" w X 2.25" deep X 5" H should be fine. I really appreciate this. never did foam before.

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Quick play,here you go:

You'll need to add an image world lightprobe, (I used the kitchen one from the demo content), to get the reflections right, as with all materials like glass or chrome they need something to reflect to work properly. You can use luminous polys or similar in your final scene if a HDR isn't appropriate.

The sigma material is key to this, as you need to get some translucency and internal reflections going on to get the foam to look right. If you want to play, unplug the bump network from the material, that will speed up the VPR.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Wow! That looks great! I already am using I think the same Lightprobe in Image World. Let me plug this in and have a look. I'll post me finding a bit later today. Thank you so much! I Really need to learn these nodes. Just seems so complicated. If I want to adjust the bump where is that done?

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
The multifractals set the bump, I used two to break up the texture a little more. Unplug the Material, and just connect the bump straight into the surface for testing, (again, speeds up VPR). I set up a couple of Scalar constant, S1 and S2 for the texture scale, and S3 for the offset of the second texture, but if you want, you can unplug them and just tweak the settings inside the MF nodes, (double click to open node CP).

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Ok I loaded your scene, and saved the settings in the preset panel. Loaded my scene, and a lot of adjustments will probably be necessary. I'll post something soon. You Don't happen to live in Orlando LOL!

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Sorry, no. Chatham in England. :D

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 10:37 AM
oK, Here is my first test. Looks better than what I had, but needs adjustments. I really no very little about nodes, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great! I really hate to burden you with this. Looks way to dense.

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Hmm, you could scale up the texture in S1 and S2, (wouldn't go above 0.2), and possibly increase the translucency a bit in the Sigma node. The surface texture will also render better if you download TrueArts free nodes, and use his Bump to Normal after the Add node and plugged into the Normal input.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Hmm, you could scale up the texture in S1 and S2, (wouldn't go above 0.2), and possibly increase the translucency a bit in the Sigma node. The surface texture will also render better if you download TrueArts free nodes, and use his Bump to Normal after the Add node and plugged into the Normal input.

Thanks. I will post another one soon. Probably won't add TrueArts nodes. Don't have the time to start all over. Keep checking back. I think this will work fine.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Ok, Did what you said, but still can't seem to get that look. Not sure what to do next.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Not sure I'm using the Image world image. Can you post yours?

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 03:00 PM
The HDR is too big to attach, but it's in the 11.x demo content, called "kitchen_1_9.hdr". Without the scene in front of me I can't really help any more, other than just suggesting playing with settings. This sort of surface is so context dependent to get looking right with LW's renderer. What colour space are you using?

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Found the HDR. I'll find out the color space in a moment. I actually have it looking pretty good. I'll post a pic, and you can give my suggestions.

Tony3d
05-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Here's the latest. Color Space everything is set to linear.

MSherak
05-08-2015, 04:31 PM
A quick layer surface I did during lunch.. Use CS sRGB. All procedural. Turn off the first layer of bump if you want it to wash out more.. Sure it could use much more refining. But should be the size of real foam rubber. Also if you wanted it as a matte finish. Just place and control the overall bump.

-M

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Here's the latest. Color Space everything is set to linear.

Looking good!

Try increasing the bump in the Sigma node, and you could also increase the distance a bit as well, that should give you a bit more depth.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick layer surface I did during lunch..

Looks nice as well, though without the sigma it looks a bit more like the harder foamed polyethylene type material.

MSherak
05-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Looks nice as well, though without the sigma it looks a bit more like the harder foamed polyethylene type material.

http://www.foambymail.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/DSC03844.jpg

what was shooting for.

pinkmouse
05-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Yup, exactly what I thought! :D

Tony3d
05-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Ok, I think I have something that looks pretty acceptable. Still looks very dense, but more like foam. I wish I could get it looking airier. I think the problem is the bright background, but that's what the customer wants. Any input would be great, and by the way, this Lightwave community is the best! Thank you all for helping me through my many sticky situations!

daforum
05-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Looks good Tony3d :thumbsup:

Do you have any screenshots of the surface setup?

Tony3d
05-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Actually got the surface from Pinkmouse. He was nice enough to get this node up, and running for me. You can download it up in this thread.

pinkmouse
05-10-2015, 03:23 AM
You can disconnect the bump stuff for speed in VPR, turn off all everything apart from the background, then play with the Sigma settings to get it to look a bit more translucent and lighter. Distance, absorption, gamma and internal colour all have an effect. If it doesn't muck up your pipeline, you could also try using sRGB colour space as well.

inkpen3d
05-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Sorry, no. Chatham in England. :D

Hey Pinkmouse, totally off topic: I went to the technical college that used to be at Fort Horsted way back in the 70's when I studied for my A-levels before going on to uni.

From Google maps street view it looks like the college has been demolished and is now a big new housing estate!

djwaterman
05-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Hey Pinkmouse. Do you want to submit this to 3dxyz.pro (http://3dxyz.pro/) ?

JoePoe
05-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Your best best for a more light and airy feeling (imho) is sub surface scattering (settings listed above).

How close do you really need to get in a render/animation?
You might not need bump at all. A good thing cuz SSS and bump seem to fight each other. Pump up SSS and the bump goes away....
If you don't need to be millimeters away in a shot let surface color and SSS do all the heavy lifting.

This has no bump.

Tony3d
05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
B
Your best best for a more light and airy feeling (imho) is sub surface scattering (settings listed above).

How close do you really need to get in a render/animation?
You might not need bump at all. A good thing cuz SSS and bump seem to fight each other. Pump up SSS and the bump goes away....
If you don't need to be millimeters away in a shot let surface color and SSS do all the heavy lifting.

This has no bump.

Hi Joe, what settings are you talking about?

JoePoe
05-10-2015, 04:15 PM
You can disconnect the bump stuff for speed in VPR, turn off all everything apart from the background, then play with the Sigma settings to get it to look a bit more translucent and lighter. Distance, absorption, gamma and internal colour all have an effect. If it doesn't muck up your pipeline, you could also try using sRGB colour space as well.

... and I will add Translucency.

Also this is an excellent breakdown of Sigma node (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih1l7atK_wI).
(four 10 minute vids)

JoePoe
05-10-2015, 09:47 PM
In addition to my last post (I hope you watched those vids)....Here's another little wrinkle in order to add to an "airy" material.......

I added a second object. A duplicate of the first just slightly bigger (point normal move).
On that object I used the same procedural (used for the color input in the node) as a clip map.
It breaks up the silhouette edges and (i think) helps with the illusion of a material that's pocked with air.

Tony3d
05-10-2015, 11:16 PM
That looks really good as well. I should be getting samples of the actual product in a day, or two. I'll then have a good idea wish technique should used. Thanks for your input Joe, you know it's always appreciated! I will watch those vids tomorrow.

pinkmouse
05-11-2015, 04:24 AM
Hey Pinkmouse. Do you want to submit this to 3dxyz.pro (http://3dxyz.pro/) ?

Feel free to add it, (and anything else I put up), but bear in mind it was just a quick test. ;)

Have you actually worked out what you want there? The last time I looked in on that thread you were still bogged down in technicalities!

- - - Updated - - -

... and I will add Translucency.

Also this is an excellent breakdown of Sigma node (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih1l7atK_wI).
(four 10 minute vids)

Nice links, ta!

I think I mentioned translucency previously. :)

pinkmouse
05-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Hey Pinkmouse, totally off topic: I went to the technical college that used to be at Fort Horsted way back in the 70's when I studied for my A-levels before going on to uni.

From Google maps street view it looks like the college has been demolished and is now a big new housing estate!

Quite possibly! I'm up by Fort Pit, near the arts college. The worst redevelopment is down by the old dockyard though, miles of "executive" homes, far too expensive for locals and in the dreariest architectural style you can think of.

inkpen3d
05-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Quite possibly! I'm up by Fort Pit, near the arts college. The worst redevelopment is down by the old dockyard though, miles of "executive" homes, far too expensive for locals and in the dreariest architectural style you can think of.

Well I never - Fort Pitt was the other branch of the technical college - that now looks like it's the Fort Pitt Grammar School - which was where I took my O-levels before going up to Fort Horsted.

Sadly, it seems that the most of new housing being built at the moment in the UK is priced way beyond what people on an average salary can afford thus forcing them into the clutches of landlords who are free to charge exorbitant rents. And yes, the architects who design these new housing estates filled with generic tat need stringing up (along with estate agents and bankers of course)!

Tony3d
05-11-2015, 11:00 AM
In addition to my last post (I hope you watched those vids)....Here's another little wrinkle in order to add to an "airy" material.......

I added a second object. A duplicate of the first just slightly bigger (point normal move).
On that object I used the same procedural (used for the color input in the node) as a clip map.
It breaks up the silhouette edges and (i think) helps with the illusion of a material that's pocked with air.

Joe I sent you a Private message.

JoePoe
05-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Tony, I PMed you back.... but the forum was acting a bit.... odd.
Hope you got it. If not, hit me back.