PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica: The Lowdown, and lightwave

TSpyrison
12-03-2003, 03:50 PM
If anyone is interested, they are going to show this show about the making of the new Battlestar Galactica show tonight (wednesday) at 8:00pm on the sci-fi channel. Last time i watched.. they briefly showed the ships in what im 95% sure was Lightwave.

Im going to record it this time...

:D

cresshead
12-03-2003, 04:32 PM
let us know if it's lw models/scenes...i don't have sci fi channel...

amorano
12-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Yeah they are LW.

I know offhand that Lee Stringer and Matt Steward did a lot of the modeling work. They are LW lovers and definately masters at pushing modeler.

SLAYER
12-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Yep, it's LW.

Just watched it and they had some nice up close screenshots of layout and Modeler showing some ships and one of the new cylons.

Looks pretty good, but I am not so sure I like Starbuck as a woman. Nothing against women, I love women, but Starbuck?
Also the cylons have evolved into humans. They will be kind of Terminatorish.

At your command.

TSpyrison
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
The starbuck thing doesn't bother me, but I would rather see an updated version of the old cylon..

Gabe
12-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Just watched it and.... yeah, I don't get some of the changes... Starbuck a woman? Why? And why do all the women in this series have to look like super models? *yawn*

What bothered me most was that there was absolutely no mention of the cool myth stuff from the original series.

and... and... the cylons were supposed to be created by an alien race we fought a long time ago who had now died out but who left their machines behind to continue fighting. I always thought that was such a cool idea. Now it's just another 'man creates technology - technology turns on man' story which is fine but that shouldn't be the premise of Battlestar Galactica.

I do like some of what I saw though. I guess I'll check it out and see how it goes. I don't know though, normally I'm not too critical of remakes but Battlestar alway had a special place in my heart.

hehe.... well, if nothing else it's got to be better than those horid comics that Rob Liefelds company did several year back... yuck...

And, is it just me or didn't Battlestar Galactica air more than one season? Tonights show claimed there one only one season so I guess that must be right but I thought it was two or three seasons. And no I'm not counting Galactica 1985 or whatever it was called.

retinajoy
12-04-2003, 04:15 AM
There was a 2nd series called Galactica 1980 which was very bad. Lacked budget, Apollo and Starbuck. That's why you won't hear much about it. The possible new galatica was going to be a continuation of the 1st series and totally bypass the awful 2nd. As it turns out, they have done the whole remake thing. Got Lightwave in it at least.

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I find, that ill look forward to shows like this just to watch the CGI. And if the story and acting is good, then thats an added bonus

:D

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 06:45 AM
If anyone is interested.. Here is a grab or two from the show..

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Another..

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
ANd another..

TSpyrison
12-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Last one

retinajoy
12-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for those tv grabs. I have watched a few of those promos from the official Battlestar Galactica site and the Lightwave animation looks very good. The jury is out on the story though, but they are using some good actors.

retinajoy
12-04-2003, 07:16 AM
For those interested, here is a reasonable lengthed quicktime interview with Gary Hutzel on the effects. No lw screen shots but some good eyecandy.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/trailers/bts/bts_tech_320.html

SLAYER
12-04-2003, 08:04 AM
From what I gathered, this is going to be a mini-series and not a new show series.

Awhile back though I heard that FOX wanted to make a new series of the old Battlestar Galactica I believe with Jerry Bruckheimer involved. It was to be a new version of the original with Apollo, Starbuck and Muffet.

Remember Muffet?

retinajoy
12-04-2003, 08:27 AM
There have been several attempts the past few years to bring it back. The main three previous attempts were by Glen Larson, Richard Hatch (Apollo) and also Tom DeSantos with Bryan Singer (x-men). This mini-series is supposed to be a pilot for a full series. Wished I had cable to watch the sci-fi channel when it is shown on th 8th.

Lightwave is also being used for the game version by Eden FX

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=2190

prospector
12-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Why couldn't they just say it was later years in the Galactica saga and make the new people grandkids of the original..so much more beleiveable.

Whats next..a remake of ToraToraTora with some woman as John Wayne?????

LW shots nice tho

I think I will just boycott the show tho.

anieves
12-04-2003, 10:45 AM
here are more viper renders

viper (http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/index.htm#)

A Mejias
12-04-2003, 02:51 PM
I did see a "making of" for the new BSG. (I'm not sure if it was the same one you're talking about.) They said the main reason they changed the Cylons to human form was because of "production costs."

meshmaster
12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
thing seems like old hat - seems a whole lot like the idea behind original mechanoid series from palladium books out in early 80s.. http://store.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=400&Category_Code=M400

Elmar Moelzer
12-05-2003, 05:42 AM
I remember Muffet!
I am not sure I like what I have seen of the new series.
I really loved the design of the old series and I am not sure it was such a go idea to redesign so much, what already worked quite well with the audience.
I would have probably preferred if was done the way Richard Hatch imagined it. With a very nice transition from the old series to the new one (many of the old actors still appearing in the show.
Cylons that look like humans is cheap IMHO and destroys a lot of the original atmosphere. The design of the original cylons was cool.
From what I have seen so far the LW- stuff in the new series is top- notch though!
That allone will make it worth watching IMHO.
CU
Elmar

PS, from what I have seen the stuff Eden has done for the Galactica- game is excellent as well and the game seems to stay more true to the original series.

prospector
12-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Is the bio-mec #6 a rip off of the even better looking Bio-mec 7 of 9?

retinajoy
12-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by prospector
Is the bio-mec #6 a rip off of the even better looking Bio-mec 7 of 9?

I think so. Ronald D. Moore the creator of this version has been involved in Star Trek. Ain't It Cools News has seen a rough cut without the effects and implies it is more about sex in space than telling a good story.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16490

Looking forward to those Lightwave rendered battles though.

toby
12-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by A Mejias
They said the main reason they changed the Cylons to human form was because of "production costs."

production costs? half a dozen robot costumes?

It's Sci-Fi for christ sake, make a freakin' soap opera or a cartoon if you're so worried about cost. obviously just banking on the popularity of the original

adrian
12-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Well I haven't seen the show but I certainly don't like the idea of the Cylons being more human. They were my favourite things of the original!!

Starbuck a woman? Hmmm.... does she get naked? It's worth it if she gets NAKED!!!!!!

Who was that sexy woman in the original....? I always wished she would get naked but she never did. Mind you, she had a nice smile :-)

Adrian.

retinajoy
12-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by adrian
Starbuck a woman? Hmmm.... does she get naked? It's worth it if she gets NAKED!!!!!!

Adrian.

I read that she does have some fun. :D

3D|Dave
12-08-2003, 04:51 PM
When I was a kid I met Lorne Greene (Commander Adama). As a kid it was fantastic.

This was in Tahoe where he lived many many years ago.

mlinde
12-08-2003, 09:28 PM
I just watched part 1.
I thought it was well done. As a re-creation (not a copy or a follow-up) of the Galactica concept, it was well-thought out. The interpersonal conflicts are more interesting in this story, everyone isn't so happy-go-get-along-little-spacemonkey. I still don't think I like Starbuck as a woman, although it does add a new dynamic to the story. The elimination of Athena and Cassiopia could have been a conversion to pilots, and I would have liked it better. I wonder if Serina (the hot Jane Seymour character) will make a showing as an Apollo love interest.

Viridian
12-08-2003, 10:15 PM
I thought the space scenes were excellent.

The starfield was beautiful. The engine flares were perfect. The physics seemed fairly realistic, and the slightly muted sounds when in space were an excellent touch. The models looked great too.

As far as the changes from the original... I thought this first installment was well done.

And anyway, I watch it for the same reason I watched the original in the 70's: the ships! the combat! :D

Does anyone know just how much of the space scenes was Lightwave? Most? All? If so, it's an impressive example of what Lightwave is capable of in the right hands.

-Cheers!

toby
12-08-2003, 10:18 PM
And who's doing the VFX? EdenFX?

sketchyjay
12-08-2003, 10:50 PM
I liked it overall even if the humnoid sex cylon was a waste to me. Why not show her doing something at a defense complex instead of doing the generic villian reveal the plan thing.

Also the baby scene bothered me as much because of what happens as the unneccessity of it. I mean she is a cylon we know she's bad. Unless the mother turns the cylon in later in the story the scene shows nothing more than some

The tone is alot harder which is cool and the FX are pretty good. The camera work reminds me of Space Above and Beyond. Kind of hand held.

I look forward to the rest of it. I can understand them wanting to add some more female leads as the original had pretty much all male leads and a few woman for them to chase when they got back. Luckily it's been so long that I don't mind the change in characters from male to female long as it makes the story better. Long as there are no robot monkey dogs I'll be fine... :D

Jay

retinajoy
12-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by toby
And who's doing the VFX? EdenFX?

Zoic studios who did the Firefly FX are doing the Battlestar Gal FX
http://www.zoicstudios.com/

toby
12-09-2003, 12:09 AM
cool! the fx superviser there did star trek too - he did the enterprise crash-landing in the snow -

CB_3D
12-09-2003, 06:47 AM
you mean Voyager.

toby
12-09-2003, 08:42 AM
oh

i never watched those dumb shows anyway - poor stories and poorly directed

Captian Kirk all the way

Miles
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
:D Well, poor stories and poorly directed, yet never watched those dumb shows pretty much says it all...:rolleyes: ;)

beverins
12-09-2003, 10:53 AM
I think they could have made this a sequel, what with all the teaser shots from the old show, and hints thrown about (like the Mark II Viper)....

Perhaps a clunky expositional scene, like they used in the beginning, could have had the orginal Galactica leaving, the 12 Colonies rebuilding as the Cylons followed them, thinking the 12 Colonies are dead... but then they return, and you pick up the story with a remade Galactica as a tribute to the original one... Galactica-B or something... ah well. LOL

I didn't like the stupidity of Adama's lines - "we will have NO networked computers on board this ship!" which of course plays into the plot element that the Cylons can hack into their mainframes and render all the ships useless..... well, there's a major problem here.... the Galactica has to have networked computers on board too, otherwise how are they using computers to run Galactica....? The computers use MIDI to eventually end up running motors that turn on mechanical pistons, levers and gears? Stupid plothole.

Loved the CGI, very intelligently thought out... but I have to say I disliked the Cylon Raider ship design - looks too much like a Romulan Warbird. What was the matter with just tweaking the original UFO design of the 1970's version? They pretty much "tweaked" until it looked like something from Babylon 5, and completely unrecognizeable (except of course, that its all sharp and pointy, and of couse all sharp and pointy ships just *have* to be evil, right?)

KillMe
12-09-2003, 11:27 AM
hmmmm haven't seen it or anything jsut those screen grabs but damn they have ruined the battlestars - they were awesome ships that looks like a moel of it was made and someone hit the tab button by mistake and thought oh why not make it a bubble version of the original =(

CB_3D
12-09-2003, 03:06 PM
One thing i learned from Star Wars, Batman, Matrix, Terminator, Star Trek...you name it, is never to expect too much from sequels, prequels or remakes.

Itīs the only way to enjoy genre stuff these days. Ahhh, why donīt they make more seasons of Lexx? THATīS imaginative sci-fi (if you can look past the constant sex-babble;-))

prospector
12-09-2003, 03:38 PM
But Lexx had original ships
not pointy and sharp ones:D

As for muted explosions, there would nor could be no sound in space.

Because in space, no-one can hear you scream.

Andf from the how it was made video that's been showing, it mentiones that there are no Farah Fawcett type girls.
:mad: What's wrong with Farah Fawcett type girls:confused:

The girls in the original looked fine
they flew the fighters (tho the new makeup video mentiones that these new ones are the first women to fly the fighters)

I don't want to look at a girl that looks like an overly plump beer drinker.Her weight compared to her height would not allow her into todays military.

And what's with the new viper pulse cannons??? the shots look like little BBs compared to the original.:confused:

A Mejias
12-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Within the first 5 minutes you could tell that is was going to be pure CACA! Man, when will they learn? Hire GOOD writers!!! Oh yeah, and a good director would help too.

spikey
12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
I get an awfully bad itch every time people compare new things to the "goold old xyz" .. Come on. I think the new Galactica is pretty damn good - better than I dared to hope, actually. No happy-happy joy-joy hey-ho heroics, but a dark and gritty sense of taking heavy punches in without any defenses. Yes, that means I like the story as well. It works, and it had some neat surprises (to me, anyways). Period. Same goes for characters - most of them are played pretty good and the same "on the wrong end of the stick" -thing fits here as well.

New ship designs look good, as well. If the producers decided to stick with ALL the old designs, the show would look plain silly, I believe.
Some people still prefer the old TOS Enterprise with it's funky dish up front .. Personally, I get a nasty itch from that too ;)

I do have my limits, though. ST: Enterprise didn't get good before 3rd season..

And darn, Cylon armours look good!

In the end, it's all a matter of taste .. I try to look at each installment of every re-make at it's own values, not sticking to the goodieoldies as I don't think that's really the point.

I'm off my soapbox now. Don't flame me too badly :D

TSpyrison
12-09-2003, 08:48 PM
I gotta say.. After watching the second part of the show..
I Loved it.

Hope they turn it into a series again.

The entire space sequences were beautiful..

(and as far as the story.. they didn't pull any emotional punches.. damn..)

Chris S. (Fez)
12-09-2003, 09:58 PM
"they didn't pull any emotional punches.. damn"

Yeah. Like the director dooming that little girl with the doll. Hardcore.

I thought the Cylon missle sequences were well staged: Have a fleet of human ships floating helplessly. Cut WAY back and cue the drumbeat as those white hypervoxel trails streak sloooowly across space toward their targets. Cool stuff.

Somehow I missed that it was a "Mini" series and not a series. I was looking forward to next week's episode.

RorrKonn
12-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Really enjoyed the 2003 BattleStar Galatica.

Ravenn

mgrusin
12-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Absolutely. I liked it a lot more than I usually expect out of such things. Very stylish, subdued, and dark (correctly, given the storyline). No beam weapons; just bullets, missiles, and nukes (how cool is that?). Realistic SF physics (nice use of thrusters!). Gorgeous animation and models (that kind also ;) ).

The SFX were outstanding, and very well-integrated with the live action (I was wondering if they used the same "shakycam" filter on both the live action and rendered footage? If so, what a clever way to create a uniform look.) And I was wondering if Zoic was involved, since my CGI jaw hasn't dropped like that since Firefly.

Kudos to all involved. I hope the ratings inspire a full series for you to work on.

-MG.

prospector
12-09-2003, 11:37 PM
white hypervoxel trails streak sloooowly across space toward their targets. Cool stuff.

Looks like the old Japanese 'Starblazers' trails
Why would a rocket curve into a target in space that isn't moving?

toby
12-09-2003, 11:54 PM
well if it's a homing missle it probably wasn't aimed very well because you don't need to

"Because in space, no-one can hear you scream." :D :p

'On a Forum, no one can hear you laugh'

If Sci-fi was totally realistic it would be very boring -

Gabe
12-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Well, despite my previous post and despite my love of the original series.... I rather liked this new version.

The original was more mythic, what with the more standout heroic characters and the whole enphasis on the twelve colonies/tribes/whatever but the new series is cool in it's own way.

One of the things I don't like is the new take on Baltor and his relationship with the cylon. Anyway, the original series wasn't perfect either so I guess I'll just enjoy the show for what it is. It would be cool if they turned it into a series though and followed their journey to Earth and then whatever final conclict they have with the cylons.

mattclary
12-10-2003, 06:20 AM
I really liked it. I had no problem with them making Cylons in human form, as long as they still have the mechanical kind around every now and then. The human looking ones definitely make for more interesting characters. I liked that they made the physics of space more realistic. I think the main Cylon sex-bot was HOT! She looked like Courtney Love's hot sister. One of the few things I didn't like was Apollo, he's such a d*ck, but I guess he supposed to be. Starbuck as a chick takes some getting used to. One minute she looks kind of homely, the next minute I think she's hot. She's got a different look to her...

anieves
12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
yeah I agree, I liked the show as well. I posted in another forum the same thing about the space physics mattclary, they were subtle and not over the top I really dig that. I missed the first hour of the second part but apparently the cylons didn't looked like humans when they were created by man but they kinda "evolved" I thought that was pretty cool and should shut up all those people screaming without watching the show.

Alliante
12-10-2003, 07:11 AM
I wasn't going to comment on the series until I saw it. I thought it was far underrated and the sex-scenes were far-too played up by the critics. Honestly when I read some pre-reviews I was told that it was going to be some sort of Cylon sex fest. I thought it was more of a highlight than a key point. I came in a bit late on the first episode, but I honestly only saw one real reference to it, and that was on the Bridge of the Galactica.

Now I don't know about you, but the trend seems to be at least two hard sex references in any new TV show. The characters are fairly original, the special effects were spectacular.

I especially like it when Starbuck flew in hot with Apollo just before the Galactica jumped. Starbuck's sense of excitement and fear were both present on her face. I thought it was pretty good expression and direction.

I'm becomnig very sick of overly crticial reviews of any movie or show that's new (especially remakes). BSG is certainly a remake not a continuation of the original series. If it were a continuation wouldn't it be Earth that's being attacked (yes, they made it to Earth in the original series).

I for one welcome guns, bullets and missiles over non-physics blasters. My only complaint over the mass-drivers on the Galactica and the Vipers were the fact that the weapons didn't seem to have any recoil reaction. Firing out that much mass from an object would certainly send it flying backwards (especially with the firepower that Galactica seemed to pour out in the final scene in the second episode). My mind just chocked it up to nice counter thrusters on the opposite side of the ship. :)

meshmaster
12-10-2003, 08:04 AM
reminds me a LOT of the Mechanoid Invasion books by http://www.palladiumbooks.com - in that ancient RPG about a human colony that has an alien invasion by weird robot aliens that are actually cloned human brains that evolved from robots that this same colony sent in to space long ago as explorers... when they came back to the colony, they had evolved so much that humans hated them, so the mechanoids decided to hate humans and started killing them galaxy after galaxy

http://store.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=400&Category_Code=M400

Alliante
12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Except weren't the mechanoids a bit like the Dr. Who Dalek's (a nasty little squid guy in basicly power armor)?

It's been quite a long time since I read up on that game (I was a Rifts player myself in college).

meshmaster
12-10-2003, 09:19 AM
they look like sqids in power armor, but they are really cloned human brains with tentacles..

prospector
12-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Good thinking Toby..

well if it's a homing missle it probably wasn't aimed very well because you don't need to

You have found the first cylon defect

They need glasses:D :D :D

NigelH
12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
I just watched the whole miniseries over the last 2 nights and I thought it was great.

This is also the fist time I've looked into this thread, so I had no idea of the LightWave connection while watching it - until I saw the mushroom cloud plumes in the scene where Boomer and her colleague make an emergency landing on the planet. Hypervoxels smoke if I ever saw it. Looked like a variation on the tornado tutorial from Dan Ablan's LightWave 6.5 Magic book.

I don't mean this as a slam, by any means - maybe I've just been doing this too long. Great work overall.

Gabe
12-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Just finished watching it. I really hope they follow this up with a series.

One thing that did bug me a little bit with the series. In the original the Battlestar Galatica and the Vipers were pretty badass and able to hold their own pretty well against the cylons. In the new one the Battlestar can barely run for it's life. Since the Cylons obviously have the advantages in numbers I think the creators of the show could have made the Galactica and Vipers a little more formidable.

NigelH
12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
I think this just really adds to the pathos of the situation. Certainly helped to raise the suspense level, that's for sure.

TSpyrison
12-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Gabe
Just finished watching it. I really hope they follow this up with a series.

One thing that did bug me a little bit with the series. In the original the Battlestar Galatica and the Vipers were pretty badass and able to hold their own pretty well against the cylons. In the new one the Battlestar can barely run for it's life. Since the Cylons obviously have the advantages in numbers I think the creators of the show could have made the Galactica and Vipers a little more formidable.

Maybe those new vipers they had at the begining could do pretty good.. but those got taken out so they had to go back to the old tech that still worked...??

Alliante
12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
On the subject about Vipers dropping like flies: Don't forget they were overwhelmingly outnumbered too.

A Mejias
12-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
"they didn't pull any emotional punches.. damn"

Yeah. Like the director dooming that little girl with the doll. Hardcore.

I thought the Cylon missle sequences were well staged: Have a fleet of human ships floating helplessly. Cut WAY back and cue the drumbeat as those white hypervoxel trails streak sloooowly across space toward their targets. Cool stuff.

Somehow I missed that it was a "Mini" series and not a series. I was looking forward to next week's episode.

There was something very odd about the missle trails in two shots of the fleet scene. The trails went back and straight from the Cylon ship position. It looked very very wrong! Otherewise some very nice fx work. Writing still stunk. :p

NigelH
12-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Also, the implication is that the Cylons spent the last 40 - odd years upgrading their technology and preparing for just this event. Correct?

mgrusin
12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
There was something very odd about the missle trails in two shots of the fleet scene. The trails went back and straight from the Cylon ship position. It looked very very wrong!
I thought that was brilliant; the trails suddenly racing back from the almost stationary (on screen) ships shows the speed they're traveling at. (Probably scientifically inaccurate, but it sure looked cool.) See the Harrier causeway attack in True Lies for reference. Man, I gotta remember some of these tricks. :D

"And for frak's sake, stay out of the Galactica's firing solution!" -MG.

A Mejias
12-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by mgrusin
I thought that was brilliant; the trails suddenly racing back from the almost stationary (on screen) ships shows the speed they're traveling at. (Probably scientifically inaccurate, but it sure looked cool.) See the Harrier causeway attack in True Lies for reference. Man, I gotta remember some of these tricks. :D

"And for frak's sake, stay out of the Galactica's firing solution!" -MG.

Assuming the camera was following the ships and missile - with no reference point you can't tell the ships were moving. Looked very odd indeed.

Afalk
12-10-2003, 02:01 PM
I watched the 'low-down' making of piece and was ecstatic
to see LW getting used... like many folks I adored the original
series while growing up, and was a tad bit nervous when I
sat down to watch the new BSG unfold.

I watched part 1 and was blown-away. I rewatched it last
night before devouring part 2.

I particularly liked the pseudo hand-held look they used.. that
combined with the overall dark and realistic feel of the series
was a great 1-2.

Having the cylons look human seemed a bit odd at first,but
what a perfect way to infiltrate :D

I thought that Starbuck was fantastic! I hated Apollo and
really wished he'd been anihilated early on. Baltar was an
interesting amoral character, but he quickly slid into annoying
with his being, haunted for lack of better term by #6.

Overall -- thought it was tremendous, and I really hope
it does well enough that they make it into a series.

Just my .02

Anthony

Viridian
12-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Gabe

I'd have to disagree... in the original series, the Galactica only fought when cornered or surprise was on their side.

There was an episode where the Galactica found another Battlestar, the Pegasus. At the end of the show, the Pegasus gallantly takes on two Cylon Basestars on it's own to ensure Galactica's survival. The move was considered suicidal. These were the same odds that the Galactica encountered in last night's episode.

But anyway, IMHO, the storyline really calls for Galactica to be outnumbered and hopelessly outgunned. Otherwise, there'd be no gauntlet to run. ;)

Gabe
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
There was an episode where the Galactica found another Battlestar, the Pegasus. At the end of the show, the Pegasus gallantly takes on two Cylon Basestars on it's own to ensure Galactica's survival. The move was considered suicidal. These were the same odds that the Galactica encountered in last night's episode.

Sure, sure. Of course the odds should be against the Galactica. But the Vipers of the original series went toe to toe with the Cylons all the time. And in one episode not too long after the one you mentioned the Galactica does take on a Basestar and wins. I got the feel that in the original series the Galactica had bad odds because of how outnumbered it was as opposed to how inferior it's technology was. It just seems the new show makes the difference a lot more extreme. It's just that if they make a series I don't want to see them 'Fleeing from Cylon Tyrony' ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!! Now and then the Galactica should kick a little cylon tail.

mattclary
12-11-2003, 06:03 AM
The big difference in the new series was missiles. Very realistic too, and not as romantic as simple blaster cannons. Pop a nuke, maybe two, and that's pretty much all she wrote. I'm not sure I bought the lack of damage Galactica sustained from the one nuke that got through. Also, why didn't the Cylons use nothing but nukes? I saw several missiles hit Galactica, but they weren't nukes.

Gabe
12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Also, why didn't the Cylons use nothing but nukes?

Perhaps on these planets Uranium and other nuclear substances are scarce. That'd be a plausable explanation.

Gabe
12-11-2003, 09:34 AM
And frankly, as much as I like the use of missiles and such, I have a hard time believing that the anti missile defence systems wouldn't use lasers. Lasers are being developed for that even today and in the long run, technologically speaking, they're surely the best bet for hitting a missile quickly and accurately.

Then again I did like the use of missiles and bullets. This isn't the first show or movie to do that though. Wing Commander did it in 1999.... and now that I think about it, it had a definate similarity to Battlestar Galactica in general...

DigiLusionist
12-11-2003, 10:27 AM
I just about choked up a wishbone when I read about the various departures made to the remake's characters and premise.

But after watching the two part series, I completely changed my mind. It was very well written and acted, and the changes made the desperate plight of the humans very convincing.

Plus, from a plot standpoint, I can see where the Boomer sleeper agent storyline is going. The model six cylon has already shown a propensity for caring (for Baltar and the baby she strangled), and an unconscious desire to be human. So, with the Boxi character and the maintanence crew chief thrown into the mix, the Boomer character can remain a question mark as to ultimate loyalties, etc.

Overall, I give this puppy two thumbs up. The fact that LW was used for effects and animation only made this effort that much better for me.

hunter
12-11-2003, 11:58 AM
I liked it. And I was fan way back when... Can't wait for the remake of galactica 1984:) But I want to know why when galactica made it's lightspeed jump it had to retract its landing bays but in the shot where it actually jumps they were extended:).
I know Nerd Alert!

CB_3D
12-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Saw it and was very positively suprised. After all the bad reviews this could only suck, but WOW!

The Plot and characterchanges are perfectly acceptable and even make sense.

I have only one huge problem with this baby. Everything is to earth-like, from the chairs to the clothing. Even english writing??? Huh? Wasnīt this supposed to be a culture that went itīs own way thousands of years ago (actually , the earth colonists went)?

One thing i loved about the original were the visual connections to the egyptians. I gues they dropped that aspect because of Star Gate.

Apart from that very good. The space scenes and CGI centurions are awesome, indeed. Galacticaīs interior is ok, but the phones with cords are a little pushed:rolleyes:

Viridian
12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mattclary
I'm not sure I bought the lack of damage Galactica sustained from the one nuke that got through.

The explosion produced by a nuclear warhead in space should be very different from one on Earth. The lack of atmoshpere would significantly (or entirely) reduce the shock wave (and thus the damage). Really, in a vaccum, only the brisance should cause damage. So maybe they took that into account.

Then again, maybe I'm just defending the errors because I like the shows. It probably has far more to do with what the writer wanted than physics. :D

The space combat scenes look somewhat.... faded. The quality of light is strange (and difficult to describe).

The Lost In Space movie did something similar in the shot where the Jupiter had left Earth and was headed off to slingshot around the sun (just before Dr. Smith woke up). They used the same washed-out light quality. Almost like a 'fuzzyness' to the light (fuzzyness... what a scientific term, eh? :D).

Does anyone know how to acheive that effect in a render?

CB_3D
12-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Hiraghm
12-11-2003, 01:58 PM
If there's any justice in the world, the creators of this travesty will spend a long time in hell, and I'll get to line their furnaces.

The orginal Battlestar Galactica was politically correct enough, but this farce is space opera for space opera. Why was Starbuck made into a female? As one of the creators said, they wanted to explore the dynamic of a male/female "watch your back dynamic".
So it's yet another miniseries thought up while some guy is playing with himself in the little boys room with a copy of Hustler.

The smell reminds me of what they did to "Enema Mine" and "Starshjt Troupers".

I'm saddened to learn that LW was associated with this PC crap.

TSpyrison
12-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, What guy could they find who could take the place of Dirk Benedict? Any Male actor would have to live up to his shoes as far as that character. By making Starbuck a woman, all bets are off, and there is no worry about living up to the original "Starbuck"

That may be one reason

DigiLusionist
12-11-2003, 02:50 PM
LOL

Hiraghm, I suspect the female Starbuck thing was "suggested" by the woman who heads up programming for SciFi Channel.

Watching this Starbuck chomping on cigars as an homage to the original character DOES rub me the wrong way, but not enough for me to want the producers of this version to burn in hell.

By the way, I've read some of your other passionate opinions in The American Conservative board, as well. I was surprised to see another 3D guy from this forum over on that one...

meshmaster
12-11-2003, 03:14 PM
why a conservative would not want a female starbuck... that damned liberal sci fi channel giving women rights! [email protected]#%^#^!

LOL :p

DigiLusionist
12-11-2003, 04:44 PM
LOL

A female character gnashing phallic symbols and provoking her male superiors at every turn. Nah, that's not making any kind of a statement...

prospector
12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
If this is suppose to be before they find Earth, they shouldn't know english.
From the first make of B.G., where are the correct time refrences???
Arn, yarn, microt.

The new writers should be sued for ripping off so many other shows.

Star Treks 7 of 9
Starblazers missle trails
Silent Running for the space nuke explosions

And the original writers should sue for so twisting and destroying the original script.

And Newtek should have some kind of final script authorization. :D

And why isn't Baldar with the Cylons, running thier show???
He did in the original.

Steve McRae
12-15-2003, 04:07 AM
. . . Cgtalk just posted a interview with VFX supervisor, Emile Smith . . . http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1838&page=

CB_3D
12-15-2003, 07:29 AM
interesting, they rendered in layers.

Hiraghm
12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Digillusion, the only way I managed to stay in this forum is by avoiding any topic that might even suggest at heading toward discussions of society and/or politics. Too many ignorant left wing 'artistes' here who figure they can feel their way to knowledge. I just made the mistake of reading the "got im" thread.

I like Lightwave a lot. I'm animating an cartoon character with it right now. But some of the people that are attracted to it make me question Newtek's marketting strategy.

meshmaster, typically you think it's about women having rights. Typically, liberals support women in combat roles "chomping cigars" and otherwise being manly because you don't value women. Not that liberals value anything beyond the thrill of the moment.

A *man* who values women does not want to see their beauty perverted into a caracature of masculinity. He does not want to see them subjected to the dangers and privations of physical conflict. He realises that they are the prize to be won and protected. He respects them, another alien concept to liberals.

Women are to warfare what the football is to American football.

Nope, it's pc crap updated for the 21st century. Which is to say, the same liberal "man is an evil screw up; oh and let's pervert everything rational just to be weird" philosophy from the 20th and 19th centuries.

DigiLusionist
12-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm with ya, Hiraghm.

edit: well, not exactly with the post just above...

DaveW
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by prospector
If this is suppose to be before they find Earth, they shouldn't know english.
From the first make of B.G., where are the correct time refrences???
Arn, yarn, microt.

Yeah, they should've made up a new language and made it all subtitles :rolleyes: Why is it so terrible that they speak english so that we can actually understand them? Why do they need time references? The last time I watched the original series they were speaking english too.

The new writers should be sued for ripping off so many other shows.

Star Treks 7 of 9
Starblazers missle trails
Silent Running for the space nuke explosions

7 of 9? I didnt' see any borg anywhere. What I did see was several models of synthetic humans. If anything, that is ripping off Blade Runner, not Star Trek.
And I also didn't realize that Starblazer had a patent on fake missle contrails. It certainly hasn't been done a million times, has it? And nuclear explosions in space...what a concept. Too bad it's been around for decades and was not invented by the Silent Running writer.

And the original writers should sue for so twisting and destroying the original script.

The original script was a piece of crap. Sorry, but it's true. The idea of Battlestar Galactica was excellent, but the writing of the '70s series was awful. Total cheese-fest. The pilot was particularly bad. I loved the original series, but I recognized that it was very corny. I like that the new B.G. is more serious.

And why isn't Baldar with the Cylons, running thier show???
He did in the original.
Well this is a retelling of the original, and personally I find it more interesting that he was duped into helping the cylons, rather than being pure evil and trying to wipe out his own species. And in the original, he was *not* running the show. He was giving tactical advice, but it was clear that the cylons were in charge.

I don't want to get into a big political debate about Starbuck being a woman, but I personally thought it worked well. And Hiraghm, no wonder you get all the ladies, you just tell them that they're pieces of pigskin, how flattering.

Alliante
12-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Very well countered, DaveW.

I agree on all your points and opinions on the new vision :)

toby
12-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I read some of your posts on that conservative forum, Hiraghm - made me want to puke. You have no respect for women at all.

prospector
12-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Well this is a retelling of the original,

Exactomundo!!!

Retelling the Original....

If it was original then how could it change???

Didn't say 6 was a borg but she is part human and part machine
a take off of 7 of 9.

Yes they did speak english in original as translated but some words stayed the same and couldn't be translated..so where are they??

Cept for Starblazers, I haven't seen any other show that missles angled into thier foe before striking them.

Original might have been crap but it was original....so continue story from that point and don't rewrite original.

CB_3D
12-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Hiraghm

He realises that they are the prize to be won and protected. He respects them,

LMAO!!! Anyone notice the paradoxal statement here?

As to Starbuck, the character seemed a little too forced to me, too. She (the prize, lol) could have done without the phall....cigar.

Why is the first thing some think about (when seeing a woman with a cigar) oral sex? AND, why are they shocked by the thought? Misteries of the universe.

Sigmund Freud:"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!"

retinajoy
12-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Finally saw a recording of the mini-series. After having low expectations, I thought it was great. Within the scifi genre, it is a refreshing change from the likes of Star Trek (Enterprise), Andromeda, Star Gate etc.

I remember the original show fondly but after many reservations I am now pleased they reimagined it (fresh start without the cheesy baggage). For me, I thought it did have emotional depth along with the action. I do hope it become a series.

I also thought it had the best Lightwave rendered space cruisers, effects etc so far in a sci fi tv series. Emmy award?

CB_3D
12-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Hmm, i wasnīt THAT impressed. While interesting in cinematographic style all the camerashaking and flying harmed some otherwise excellent fx.

All in all i thought the space sequences a tad too dark and washed out. They didnīt achive their goal to go for a 2001 look,IMHO.

Then again, i am a model freak, more than animation. I would have liked at least one long hero shot of the human fleet and all the ships.

CB_3D
12-17-2003, 07:20 AM
oh, and before any of the artists gets my comments wrong....

I still think these shots are among the best, yes. Certainly better than Bab5 andStar Trek. And that says a lot.

retinajoy
12-17-2003, 09:45 AM
The Cylon base ships are kinder dark and reminded me of the shadow ships from B5.

There is another article on the vfx of BG on vfxworld for those interested. You have to sign up though for free membership to read the article, but I think it is a good site worth joining up to.

http://vfxworld.com/index.php?atype=articles&id=1943