I just thought what a well presented web page this is,
and to congratulate the Forum LW3DG keepers on it.:lwicon:

All the new & exciting plug-ins displayed, even the
Tool-chefs chappies. This is a better way to treat
the third-parties. Really, well-done on marketing
this time , phew!:thumbsup:

PeT
05-03-2015, 01:12 AM
http://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/lightwave-3d-spring-into-summer-challenge/

we have tried to get some exciting tools as prizes,
now we are looking forward to your ideas
and hope for an active participation ..

https://www.facebook.com/3DContest

CaptainMarlowe
05-04-2015, 04:11 AM
Why on earth is it limited tho Facebook ?

MG artist
05-04-2015, 05:47 AM

I asked my self the same question. These days it's taken for granted that everyone has a facebook account.

raymondtrace
05-04-2015, 06:46 AM

Marketing on Facebook offers the ability of sharing beyond one's own channel of communication. There is no point in marketing this contest on a NewTek domain. They already have your attention if you're on their web site. Being the second most visited domain (according to Alexa.com) does not appear to be limiting.

CaptainMarlowe
05-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I have no problem with marketing via Facebook. But limiting contest entries only to Facebook is forcing potential challengers to create a FB account, or pass. I'll pass, because I don't want to create a FB account. In no other challenge in which I entered anywhere else were people forced to post on FB exclusively.

raymondtrace
05-04-2015, 12:07 PM
You may be confusing this marketing campaign with a giveaway. I don't think a company is obligated to offer prizes to people that don't want to run the race.

This is not about giving away prizes. This contest is employing current best practices for online marketing. NewTek would be foolish to do it any other way.

Lewis
05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
They already have your attention if you're on their web site. Being the second most visited domain (according to Alexa.com) does not appear to be limiting.

BUT they are asking contesters to use LW so what good is it if they present it on Facebook of my neighbour which is not even interested in 3D packages/programs nor he will be when/if he sees that contest?

Info on page says : "Just make sure you create your design in LightWave 3D"

So you must be LW user already and as already mentioned it's weird that it's Facebook ONLY contest. So nobod yis askign them to not post it on FB but to post it only there and limit users to FB only is kinda weird.

MG artist
05-05-2015, 05:39 AM
They could simply accept entries with e-mail and post them there, for anyone who desn't have an account. Or have a thread here and link it on Facebook.

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Proxy posting for someone who does not have a Facebook account is not reasonable for this marketing campaign. When a Facebook user posts something publicly to the Lightwave contest, all their friends on Facebook also see the post and Lightwave is marketed to them. NewTek finds value in our social networks as we probably associate with others in the graphics industry.

Facebook has its evils (http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-how-facebook-is-tracking-your-internet-activity-2012-9), even for people who are not registered users, but in this particular promotion from NewTek, it can be very useful.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the reluctance for someone to make a disposable email account and then make a disposable Facebook account. This could be done in less time than it takes for the whining in this discussion.

Lewis
05-05-2015, 06:34 AM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the reluctance for someone to make a disposable email account and then make a disposable Facebook account. This could be done in less time than it takes for the whining in this discussion.

So you are proposing basically "Fake" FB account just to enter the contest ?

There is people who don't want FB (regardless so e-mail address being dummy/fake/real/disposal) or don't need it. So why limit yourself (in this case LWG3D) to just one media (FB) instead use them all (FB, LinkedIN, Twitter, Forums, WEB...)? My counter question for you would be how much would take to NT to post that same contest here also ? Like 30 seconds , maybe less :)?

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 07:44 AM
So you are proposing basically "Fake" FB account just to enter the contest ?

That is precisely what I typed. Why are people acting so entitled here? You spend hours or days on modeling and rendering and you're too lazy to take 5 minutes to sign up a bogus Facebook account? Nonsense.

I don't understand this childish whining. When I was a child and wanted to enter a contest, I had to cut out a bar code from my cereal box, get a postage stamp from my parents, stuff everything in an envelope, lick some toxic glue, and tell a complete stranger in Young America, Minnesota (http://www.teampebbles.com/app_rules.html) where I lived. And I did this walking up hill both ways!

You should contact NewTek and tell them that you would be willing to manage submissions on LinkedIn, Twitter, Forums and the web for them. They would, of course, need you to have a Facebook account so you could transfer the entries over there.

ianr
05-05-2015, 09:48 AM
LW3DG should run a parallel showing on this
Site with the ability of the artist to tick to show
here & FB portal & vice-versa.

I' m sure they can fine tune that?

Lewis
05-05-2015, 10:02 AM
That is precisely what I typed. Why are people acting so entitled here? You spend hours or days on modeling and rendering and you're too lazy to take 5 minutes to sign up a bogus Facebook account? Nonsense. .

Only nonsense is that you simply can't understand that somee people don't want FB acocunt (for whatever reasons they have), being it bogus or real account there is people do not want it. What's so hard to understand there ?

As for managing other subbmision on linked in twitter etc. etc. where do you get idea that for that you need FB account ? Why would LinkedIN user need FB account ?

And stop calling people whiners, nobody is whining, it's NTs bussines and they can make contest on local newspaper if they wish but that like FB only isn't best marketing or strategic way to market your product and that is a fact regardless how you want to look at it :).

And don't you worry about me contacting NT people, I'm in contact (more ofthen that you think) when i have somethign to say/report.

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 10:07 AM
ianr, what Facebook API do you suggest? :)

prometheus
05-05-2015, 10:13 AM
DonŽt have facebook, and I am still to this day reluctant to it...
so IŽll pass.

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 10:25 AM
...And don't you worry about me contacting NT people, I'm in contact (more ofthen that you think) when i have somethign to say/report.

I never worried/thought/cared that you have contact with NewTek. Everyone has contact with NewTek: I've never known NewTek to hide from its customers.

Yes, it is called "whining" when people want something that has not been offered to them and cannot possibly be offered to them. This is a contest. They've already published the rules.

I'm not your adversary. I'm not defending NewTek or Facebook. I'm just explaining what this "contest" is to the very few people here that don't understand social networks.

Lewis
05-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Sure, social networks scream "profesional", yeah i get that, NT/LWG3D wants to be mor eproffesional so they ali limiting their offcial contest to use FB only users, gotcha :).

Let's agree we don't agree and that's it. I'm fine wiht that.

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Let's agree we don't agree and that's it. I'm fine wiht that.

We can't disagree unless we're discussing two opposing views to the same topic. I don't think you've noticed that we're discussing two different topics.

I've been explaining why NewTek chose a particular social media platform to market its product to a new audience.

You're trying to explain why NewTek should make extra effort to give away free stuff, in what you perceive to be a contest.

If there is any debate, it is whether this is a marketing campaign or a contest. With the exception of the few winners, most people will perceive this as marketing.

ianr
05-05-2015, 11:08 AM
That comes with Dollar Clauses,Ray-mondtrace.

starting with, like pay me.....

BTW love your medieval draughtsmanship icon.

MG artist
05-06-2015, 04:00 AM
raymondtrace, I think you are aggressive and offensive for no reason. New Tek has chosen to make the contest FB only, good move because most people do have a Facebook account and it is definitely the best place to advertise Lightwave. But this doesn't stop them from creating a thread here and linking it to Facebook. They didn't do that probably because only a very small minority of people isn't registered to Facebook. I understand the way social media work better than you may think and I have chosen not to make a Facebook account, fake or real, I'm not the only one. The only person whining in this thread is you, the reason forums exist is so that people can express their opinion. You are free to disagree but not to insult.

raymondtrace
05-06-2015, 07:12 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way MG. It seems unusual that you would consider my posts aggressive and offensive... and then proceed to repeat the same explanations I posted. It makes me wonder if you actually read my posts or if you are just trolling.

NewTek tweeted this contest announcement on Twitter last week and at this point, only 2 people bothered to retweet. It seems like NewTek made a wise choice to conduct this promotion on Facebook instead of relying on Twitter.

At no point did I say people should not be able to enter through a forum or other networks. I gave explanations why NewTek directed limited resources to one network. If you have a problem with that, donate your time and resources to NewTek so that they can expand their marketing. Otherwise, you truly are whining. And I am not at all sorry for pointing out the futility of that whining ...and encouraging you to find better things to do with your time.

:)

creacon
05-06-2015, 08:07 AM
LOL, the only people that understand social networks are the ones that don't use them. :-)

I'm just explaining what this "contest" is to the very few people here that don't understand social networks.

50one
05-06-2015, 09:17 AM
I don't have a facebook acc, got normal life instead.

PS. One of my duties in where I work is being social media manager.

So I can agree with the above statement;)

raymondtrace
05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
We do realize that this forum is a type of social media network, right?
...and that creacon's company has ~500 followers on Facebook?
...and that many of us utilize the social networks of Vimeo and YouTube?
...and that some of us even try to employ social media on our personal web sites with antiquated guestbooks (http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/gb.php) ?
...and that some of us appear on Twitter?

So the idea that a social network is "below" us is a bit absurd.

MG artist
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way MG. It seems unusual that you would consider my posts aggressive and offensive... and then proceed to repeat the same explanations I posted. It makes me wonder if you actually read my posts or if you are just trolling.

NewTek tweeted this contest announcement on Twitter last week and at this point, only 2 people bothered to retweet. It seems like NewTek made a wise choice to conduct this promotion on Facebook instead of relying on Twitter.

At no point did I say people should not be able to enter through a forum or other networks. I gave explanations why NewTek directed limited resources to one network. If you have a problem with that, donate your time and resources to NewTek so that they can expand their marketing. Otherwise, you truly are whining. And I am not at all sorry for pointing out the futility of that whining ...and encouraging you to find better things to do with your time.

:)

I'm not trolling and I have read all your posts, let me clarify what I said: People post on forums expressing their thoughts and feelings, in this case with a hope of changing the current situation ( you can call that whining if you want :) ). I'm pretty sure that at least most people in this thread know why New Tek decided to run the contest on Facebook, it's a wise move. Explaining them again those reasons and telling them that the situation is the way it is, stop whining, is just annoying. I think there isn't anything to further discuss, let's end this conversation in a friendly mood.

Lewis
05-07-2015, 12:04 PM

MG artist
05-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Haha this made my day, thanks :)

Edit: It's not late here, 9 pm when I posted :D

raymondtrace
05-07-2015, 01:32 PM
MG, if you want to convey thoughts and feelings to NewTek, you should use their official contact channels. Thank you for allowing me to call impotent comments directed to the wrong audience, "whining". :)

When you get a response from your personal contact with NewTek, explaining why they cannot change the rules of an active contest, I encourage you to post it here in the forum.

I entered into this discussion in a friendly mood so there's no reason to expect it to conclude in any other manner.