PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal troubles

Otterman
05-01-2015, 08:28 AM
How on earth do I prevent this from flipping? I have two nulls targeting each other. As soon as they past the origin they cause flipping.

I have been banging my head against a brick wall with this one. This is part of a much complex rig which I have almost nailed but this has me stumped. (I feel like Im chasing my own tail)

Please anyone have any pointers I have exhausted all my avenues and wasted the whole afternoon....argh!

ernpchan
05-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I believe you need to incorporate a pole vector into the setup to help this.

Otterman
05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Hi ernpchan. Do I introduce another null and reference to it as my pole? I never got my head around what the pole functions were for and how to use them.

I worked around by rotating the model off axis in modeler then placing my target nulls off the z axis so they worked then rotated the whole rig back to where it should be using a master null. It works but a fudge.

I really need to get my head around this as occasionally I run into this and it really stumps me every time.

ernpchan
05-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Yeah, another item will serve as the pole target. RebelHill might have a video about it on his YT channel.

Otterman
05-01-2015, 08:57 AM
RebelHill ....shudder! That man scares me. The amount of knowledge in his head is borderline psycho hehe. I shall investigate.

Check out my rig. Bones, targets, flexible hoses, it's nuts. Still nearly ready to start animating. Will post some of this in another thread.

cheers Mr E

RebelHill
05-01-2015, 08:57 AM
RebelHill might have a video about it on his YT channel.

Not on that detail I dont, though it is ofc all covered in the main training set.

But yes... some pole item should serve, its basically just target item for bank channels, and is needed to pull the bank back around to counter heading rotation in gimbal lock.

Otterman
05-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Not on that detail I dont, though it is ofc all covered in the main training set.

But yes... some pole item should serve, its basically just target item for bank channels, and is needed to pull the bank back around to counter heading rotation in gimbal lock.

Oh speaking of the man! I mean psycho in the greatest respect of course oh great master rigger, wink.

Thanks for the explanation I will defy try this.

ernpchan
05-01-2015, 09:02 AM
RebelHill ....shudder! That man scares me. The amount of knowledge in his head is borderline psycho hehe. I shall investigate.

More like mad genius... Muhahahaha

squarewulf
05-01-2015, 12:20 PM

I read every one of your posts in your voice.