PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticed PoserFusion doesn't work with v2015 of LW.

truthdigger
04-29-2015, 08:14 PM
I've seen many posts of PF working great with every version below 2015. I watched several vids and read the main doc on how to get the two working together (for v10 and 11.6 - there is none for 2015), then loaded up LW, and nothing. It doesn't even see that it's been installed. There's a lot of nice assets within the Poser library too. What a waste, cause i'll never use Poser as a viable 3d package now that i own LW and Zbrush. If anyone knows what the problem could possibly be, any advice would be welcome! Mucho thanks..

Shelton

Oldcode
04-29-2015, 09:15 PM
LW 2015 has only been out a little while. It takes Smith Micro a bit of time to create the updates so it will work in 2015. It took them several months for them to update PoserFusion so it would work in version 11.x, but when they did, it worked great.

truthdigger
05-01-2015, 11:58 PM
I see. Well, that's good to know. Patience is virtual...i mean a virtue.

Ma3rk
05-02-2015, 09:44 AM
I've seen many posts of PF working great with every version below 2015. I watched several vids and read the main doc on how to get the two working together (for v10 and 11.6 - there is none for 2015), then loaded up LW, and nothing. It doesn't even see that it's been installed. There's a lot of nice assets within the Poser library too. What a waste, cause i'll never use Poser as a viable 3d package now that i own LW and Zbrush. If anyone knows what the problem could possibly be, any advice would be welcome! Mucho thanks..

Shelton

I'm not but thought I'd seen some 2015 users messages. This is sort of "well, I got to ask" type reply, but you do know that the Fusion plug-in needs to be moved into the the BIN\plugins folder? I seem to recall having to move it there rather than it getting installed there in the first place, but I could be misremembering.

truthdigger
05-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Yeah i put there - as well other places trying to trick it into thinking it was installing to 11.6 on down, yet to no avail. It was as Oldcode said. Knock knock SM, there's a new version of LW out!
Thanks anyway guys.

Shelton

ruscular
01-03-2016, 03:58 AM
Pretty frustrating! I had Lightwave 8.5 and tried to use poserfusion and find out that lightwave was too old, so now I save up and finally upgrade to lightwave 2015 and now my download expired for poserfusion for LW, and now you guys are telling me that it doesn't work in LW2015, even if I could download the plug in.

Oldcode
01-03-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm not but thought I'd seen some 2015 users messages. This is sort of "well, I got to ask" type reply, but you do know that the Fusion plug-in needs to be moved into the the BIN\plugins folder? I seem to recall having to move it there rather than it getting installed there in the first place, but I could be misremembering.

You do need to install it with the EXE. It will not only install the PzrForLwX.p file, it also installs other support file for it to use all the assets in the PZ3 scene file. When you try to open a poser file the first time, it will as for the location of your poser.exe file both for security and because it uses the poser.exe to run the poser file. It will then ask you for your poser fusion serial number which is different from the serial number for poser itself.

Yes, setting it up initially is a pain, but once you do its very useful. Granted, poser is not as versatile as Lightwave or other programs for creating and rigging characters, but if like me you do not yet have that ability in Lightwave, Poser's huge library of pre-made characters and objects in a programs that's specifically made to animate those characters with hundreds of morphs and controls that would take you forever to setup in Lightwave is a great way to get stated quickly. I'm using Poser with Lightwave on a project now that would have taken me 10 times as long if I had to rig my own characters. I animate my characters and then bring their animation into Lightwave where I can use all of Lightwave's cool tools like instancing to build a scene around them.

I don't have LW 2015 yet, but when I get it. I'll try PoserFusion for 11.x and see if it works. If not, I'll have to wait like everybody else. But based on my experience so far, it will be worth the wait.

Edit: Oh Ruscular, which version of Poser do you have. I've never heard of PoserFusion expiring before. You may want to open up a service ticket with Smith Micro and get some help. Poser Fusion has only been around for the Poser Pro series going back to version 2010. It seems wrong to me that you should not be able to download the poser fusion plugin for that version if you have a legitimate copy.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 07:28 AM
If you wish to continue to work with the LW11 version of Poser Fusion I believe you can still download the plugins here:

http://my.smithmicro.com/poserfusion-plugins.html

If that's a major part of your workflow you could keep a LW11 installation around for that work.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Well. I am the bearer of bad news. Right after I posted that link I decided to contact Smith Micro and ask them what progress they had made in the Fusion plugin for Poser Pro 2014 and Lightwave 2015. Their reply was the two would never be compatible and if I wanted Lightwave 2015 support I'd have to upgrade to Poser Pro 11.

Sigh.

So, there it is. Fortunately it is trivially easy to run multiple instances of LW to support different versions so if you don't want to spend more hard earned filthy lucre you have a way out.

Oldcode
01-03-2016, 02:49 PM
That's pretty slimy of them. Up until now, they had always upgraded PoserFusion for the newest version of Lightwave. I'll have to think long and hard about this. So far, I've seen almost nothing that makes me want to upgrade to Poser Pro 11.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Yes, it is quite slimy of them. I've had a less than stellar opinion of Smith Micro for some time, and this episode has sealed the deal for me. The last time I relied on their Fusion plugin for quick and dirty background character animations was two years ago and since then I've developed other workflows that render them largely superfluous.

Their models are too poly heavy to be useful as is in LW, and their interface is clunky and doing more than trivial animated loops is a serious pain. Back in the days of, say, Poser 4 they had a strong thing going but the state of the art has long since passed them by and dulled their sheen. Daz has also severely dented their market share since they split off to do their own thing and offer their own comparable posing/animating/rendering application (for free).

ruscular
01-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I have great news, that tech support is wrong. I can get poserfusion from poser pro2014 to work in Lightwave 2015. Took me awhile but I download the latest download manager and install it from there and point to my copy of lightwave. It works! It was the download manager that was giving me problems of downloading my copy and crashing everytime I put in my serial number. I needed the latest version and its all good now.

What I have heard is that the latest poser 11 was having problems with Lightwave 2015.

Spinland
01-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Excellent news, thanks for sharing that! :D

Ma3rk
01-05-2016, 09:31 AM
I have great news, that tech support is wrong. I can get poserfusion from poser pro2014 to work in Lightwave 2015. Took me awhile but I download the latest download manager and install it from there and point to my copy of lightwave. It works! It was the download manager that was giving me problems of downloading my copy and crashing everytime I put in my serial number. I needed the latest version and its all good now.

What I have heard is that the latest poser 11 was having problems with Lightwave 2015.

Yes, good to know. I wasn't going to go for the Poser 11 upgrade until the Fusion plug was ready for LW 2015 anyway. Sounds like I can delay a bit longer now.

ruscular
01-07-2016, 04:21 AM
Lightwave 2015 has a great genoma2 rigging system, but I have a hangup with the arm IK system, and go in and fix it manually. I also got the Rhiggit lite plugin, and haven't tried it yet, but If I don't fix the arm IK system, then I may do that. The main thing is that the poserfusion may really just be good for importing assets into the scene, but these rigging solution for complex character with bullet dynamics will have to be rig in Lightwave. Poserfusion will not bring in bullet dynamics calculation into Lightwave. Any character you have on poser that doesn't need body dynamics calculation would be excellent to render in Lightwave at 1/10 of the time of a typical poser render.

Spinland
01-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Haven't spent any time with Genoma2 yet but I have Rhiggit Pro2 and can unreservedly endorse it as a stellar rigging solution. I know how to rig by hand but making and hooking up all the controllers is a huge pain and these "auto rig" solutions almost completely eliminate that need. My preference for Rhiggit is (apart from I like the controller layouts better than the Genoma ones) is that I can do everything right in Layout and add my own custom bones in the same workflow without any need to revisit Modeler. Just my personal preference.

I hardly ever use Poser, but I do like many of the included DAZ models. The low-poly humans, especially, once re-rigged in Lightwave make excellent background crowd scene fodder with minimal effort.

EDITED TO ADD: I would be remiss in not mentioning the extra rigging and animation control panels that come with Rhiggit Pro. The added capabilities have become indispensable to my workflow.

ruscular
01-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Lino Grandi came in the chat and help me fix the arm IKFK issue that I was having. and I realize that the Auto key needs to be on to record a key of turning on IK switches. Now the Genoma2 works wonderfully! However there are those that report that Rhiggit system allows you to have multiple actor in one scene where as you need a renamer for genoma2, I think that's where poserfusion come in handy for adding background actors in addition to your genoma2 rig character.