PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Placement 1.0 is shipping

hurley
04-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Everyone!

We're pleased to announce the release of Advanced Placement 1.0 for LightWave! From now until May 10, you can save $50 by purchasing AP at the special launch pricing of $149.
http://hurleyworks.com/buy/

AP was designed to be an artist friendly tool for physics based placement of items and their instances in your LW scene. It includes it's own physics engine, instance generator, undo system and a special capture/playback system for recording and playing back physics simulations that you can interact with as you make them.

Here's a few of the fun things you can do with AP

Workflow demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaBZVr-s80
Collision free instance painting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZnwDp_tHVA
Capture and playback physics simulations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjDZKQiAU-M
Emit instances from item geometry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QONBLrQCVAU
Instance lights and other non-mesh items like cameras and nulls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVUXVltdFI
Build complex instance compounds from other instances https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipvwnje5yT0
Export AP instances to LW instances https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0IINc42u4
Export AP instances to a single LW mesh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiUAKIGV89o

More demos are available on our YouTube site https://www.youtube.com/user/HurleyworksInc/feed

Please be aware that if your project requires tens of thousands or millions of instances then AP may not be the right tool for the job. AP has extra memory requirements for it's command and physics systems and the physics engine itself can't handle anywhere near that many bodies and still remain interactive. We've provided a demo version that is not crippled in regard to instance handling capabilities. Please try the demo first before buying AP if you think high instance counts might be a problem for you.

Although this is AP 1.0, those of you who have followed AP's development in the 3rd party section know that AP is a very mature product for a initial release. We're very excited to finally be able to "Release the Kraken!" :)

Megalodon2.0
04-29-2015, 07:05 PM
My knee-jerk reaction was... "WHAT? $200 for a plugin? Talk about high priced! NO WAY!"

And then I watched the videos and I must say that while it is a somewhat pricey plugin (IMO), the value is OBVIOUSLY there. I was thinking of the various things I could do with it. This is now on my list as it would be a great help for archviz scenes.

Great job Steve!

Greenlaw
04-29-2015, 10:14 PM
Congratulations on the final release Steve!

It's an awesome plugin! Our next short film (after B2) is going to use the heck out of it. In fact, seeing that the introductory price is still in effect, we may have to get us a second license here. :)

G.

Lewis
04-30-2015, 04:28 AM
Congrats, what a milestone it was when it started way way back till now :).

Great work Steve

seghier
04-30-2015, 05:28 AM
very nice plugin

3dworks
04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
congrats!!

hrgiger
04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
congrats Steve on the release. Been following it since CORE.

ianr
04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Steve:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beer chug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

COS Y'R WORTH IT!

bobakabob
04-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Congrats Steve and thanks for creating such a genuinely creative plugin. It's amazing being able to paint instances and / or edit them and invest them with dynamics. You can also save them out as objects. Especially good for creating landscapes.

libneon
04-30-2015, 04:22 PM
I hope Newtek buys the rights and makes this standard. :)

Great work.

vonpietro
04-30-2015, 05:02 PM
if i have 10 plant types, does AP randomize all 10 of them when I populate my landscape? So I spray, and instead of just one type, all 10 are sprayed randomly?

I love the instances on instances feature - that was one of my gripes with current lightwave instancing.

is there a video that takes you through each feature one by one?

jboudreau
04-30-2015, 06:57 PM
if i have 10 plant types, does AP randomize all 10 of them when I populate my landscape? So I spray, and instead of just one type, all 10 are sprayed randomly?

I love the instances on instances feature - that was one of my gripes with current lightwave instancing.

is there a video that takes you through each feature one by one?

Yes all 10 plants are sprayed out randomly. From my understanding what ever you have selected in the list will be instanced so if you have 5 of the 10 plants selected it will randomly instance those 5 plants.

Download the Demo and give it a try it's really easy to use and Steve has all kinds of videos on his youtube page here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0saatvjPgzIsSlLsvyMuxg that will help get you started.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

adk
05-01-2015, 01:51 AM
Congrats Steve and huge kudos on this awesome milestone. I was blown away the first time I used it, and now even more so. It truly is a very innovative and creative tool that's a pleasure to use ;)

erikals
05-01-2015, 03:17 AM
at last landscaping in LightWave will be "do-able"

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

machbeowulf
05-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Thank you and congratulations, Steve !!! I bought into the pre-release without a second thought and had no regrets. A complex plugin that is also just a riot to use .. great fun stuff !!!

hurley
05-02-2015, 10:05 AM
congrats Steve on the release. Been following it since CORE.

Heh, yes you can trace AP back to a little late night experiment to see if I could get Bullet hooked up to CORE. I've done a awful lot of typing since then :)

Thanks for all the kind words and support and orders!

Support from the community has gotten me through many dark times when I thought I was trying to do the impossible.!

jasonwestmas
05-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Congratulations Steve! Anything that resembles painting, sculpting and accurate collisions I'm totally interested in.

HarverdGrad
05-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Is something messed up with your Paypal checkout process?

I tried to order your product using two different browsers (multiple times) and the login portion fails.

I verified my PayPal Login credentials were correct & even opened a separate tab on the browsers and logged into Paypal direct using the same credentials (no problems, got right in).

Cya~

OnlineRender
05-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Stunning and congrats !

hurley
05-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Is something messed up with your Paypal checkout process?

I tried to order your product using two different browsers (multiple times) and the login portion fails.

I verified my PayPal Login credentials were correct & even opened a separate tab on the browsers and logged into Paypal direct using the same credentials (no problems, got right in).

Cya~

Grrr. Sorry about that. We've been processing plenty of other orders without any problems. I can see that your 2 orders have been cancelled but unfortunately we don't get any explanation from PayPal. I'll try to find out what's going on

HarverdGrad
05-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Grrr. Sorry about that. We've been processing plenty of other orders without any problems. I can see that your 2 orders have been cancelled but unfortunately we don't get any explanation from PayPal. I'll try to find out what's going on

I'm doing 2 step authentication (requires sms generated code.. maybe it has something to do with that?)
Anyway, if there's a way for me to make a direct payment to you via paypal- I could always do that. I just need to know what account to send payment too..
Regards~

hurley
05-02-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm doing 2 step authentication (requires sms generated code.. maybe it has something to do with that?)
Anyway, if there's a way for me to make a direct payment to you via paypal- I could always do that. I just need to know what account to send payment too..
Regards~

Ok, I sent you a PM

Thanks

djwaterman
05-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Are you going to be added to the Lightwave 3rd Party page?

jbaudrand
05-03-2015, 02:01 AM
is it compatible with lw 11.6.1?

bobakabob
05-03-2015, 05:12 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm experiencing problems with licensing on LW 2015.2.
(Licensing is working in LW 11.6.1)

I've followed the procedure on YouTube and enter the License Key. I can use AP but LW crashes every time I close it and I have to re enter the license key again. If I load an AP scene it's frequently unstable.
Not sure this is related but the grey box alert flashes up looking for a text file in a location that doesn't exist.
Any help greatly appreciated. I'm on W7.

erikals
05-03-2015, 05:43 AM

no, i don't think so, as it says LW11.6.2/3 on the webage >
http://hurleyworks.com/buy

seghier
05-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi Steve,

I've followed the procedure on YouTube and enter the License Key. I can use AP but LW crashes every time I close it and I have to re enter the license key again. If I load an AP scene it's frequently unstable.
Not sure this is related but the grey box alert flashes up looking for a text file in a location that doesn't exist.

i use demo version and when i restart layout i need to re enter the key
also layout crash when i enter the key !

hurley
05-03-2015, 08:21 AM
i use demo version and when i restart layout i need to re enter the key
also layout crash when i enter the key !

AP needs to write config and log folders in the same directory that the plugin lives so please check to make sure that the folder that you placed the AP demo plugin in has write permissions. I have code in AP to prevent a crash if AP discovers that the folder is write protected but apparently it doesn't work in all cases. Let me know if that's not the problem

Also the demo version(but not the full version) requires an internet connection to run.

hurley
05-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi Steve,

Hi Robert,

I'd recommend that you:
1. Remove all versions of AP from your HD except the latest 1.0.0
2. Delete your LW 2015.2 config files
3. Make sure the the folder you've placed AP 1.0.0 has write permissions
4. Try adding AP again to a fresh LW 2015.2

Please let me know how it goes

hurley
05-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Works with LW 11.6.2/3 which are free upgrades from 11.6.1

The big difference is that the LW 2015 SDK offers an advanced tree widget the AP uses for selection. This
allows AP to update it’s selection listbox programmatically to be in sync with viewport
selections. Unfortunately, this is not the case for LW 11.6.3 so it’s best to avoid RMB
selection if you are using this earlier version of LW.

hurley
05-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Are you going to be added to the Lightwave 3rd Party page?

Thanks for reminding me. I've been waiting until I had a shipping product. I'll get on it. :)

seghier
05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
AP needs to write config and log folders in the same directory that the plugin lives so please check to make sure that the folder that you placed the AP demo plugin in has write permissions. I have code in AP to prevent a crash if AP discovers that the folder is write protected but apparently it doesn't work in all cases. Let me know if that's not the problem

Also the demo version(but not the full version) requires an internet connection to run.

thank you
ok i will check the folder and try again

bobakabob
05-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi Robert,

I'd recommend that you:
1. Remove all versions of AP from your HD except the latest 1.0.0
2. Delete your LW 2015.2 config files
3. Make sure the the folder you've placed AP 1.0.0 has write permissions
4. Try adding AP again to a fresh LW 2015.2

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks, Steve, it was a permissions issue with the Newtek & LW folders - loads fine now and closes without crashing.

jbaudrand
05-03-2015, 12:20 PM
thanks for aswering :). Damm I'm in the middle of changing location so my poserfusion plugin keys are in box in my new area, Can't upgrade to 11.6.3 until11th :_)

hurley
05-03-2015, 01:00 PM
thanks for aswering :). Damm I'm in the middle of changing location so my poserfusion plugin keys are in box in my new area, Can't upgrade to 11.6.3 until11th :_)

No worries. I'll give you an extra week of the sale price if you need it. Just send me an email now from the website contact (http://hurleyworks.com/contact/) with your contact info so I remember and then again if/when you're ready to order since the shopping cart price will be back to normal and we'll have to do the order manually.

jbaudrand
05-03-2015, 01:18 PM
No problem steve, if the plug is as cool as I see. You have my money tomorrow and I'll do all my update things later. It's just I HATE to upgrade in the middle of a project because I have to reinstall all the plug in manually. I really wish newtek find an "Amiga Workbench" way of managing library (just drag and drop plug in the correct drawers and voilą)

c.1
05-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Sweet, I just paid off my Boss GT-001 now to try and convince my wife to let me use her Paypal account.

Samus
05-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Congratulations!! it's nice to see it out there...and the word is spreading...already on CG Channel !!

Cheers Steve and Congrats!!

Dan Ritchie
05-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Love the video!

vipvip242
05-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Placement is awesome, a very nice and flexible creative tool !

chikega
05-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Followed directions. LW 2015.2 is a fresh install. Advanced Placement demo is only the second plugin I've added (after Rhiggit) ... LW is still crashing. :(

hurley
05-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Followed directions. LW 2015.2 is a fresh install. Advanced Placement demo is only the second plugin I've added (after Rhiggit) ... LW is still crashing. :(

Hi Gary,

Please check to make sure that the folder that you placed the AP demo plugin in has write permissions so that AP can write it's log and config files.

Calu
05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
Great resource Steve, my sincere congratulations.

I had a little difficulty using the AP in small objects such as paint a cocacola can with drops of water, I would like noticing this problem in future releases.

Apologize for my english

adk
05-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Great resource Steve, my sincere congratulations.

I had a little difficulty using the AP in small objects such as paint a cocacola can with drops of water, I would like noticing this problem in future releases.

Apologize for my english

Small scale tends to give trouble to most physics engines. I did a test with AP and small diamonds a little while ago and recall a few issues but then I simply scaled everything up and it all worked like a charm. So just scale up the coke can and droplets and you should be fine Calu.

jboudreau
05-08-2015, 02:07 AM
Hi

Does anyone know what currency the Advanced Placement is being sold at it doesn't say on the website. I know it's $149 but what $149US?

Thanks,
Jason

seghier
05-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Hi

Does anyone know what currency the Advanced Placement is being sold at it doesn't say on the website. I know it's $149 but what $149US?

Thanks,
Jason US mean $ ; many website used this letters to be clear because some countries have also $

jboudreau
05-08-2015, 02:20 AM
US mean $ ; many website used this letters to be clear because some countries have also $

Thanks, Yeah I'm from Canada and we use $ as well so I wasn't sure

Jason

wesleycorgi
05-08-2015, 02:32 AM
Good tool, worth the asking price.

Laticis
05-08-2015, 12:39 PM
One very awesome plugin.....well done and thank you.

hurley
05-08-2015, 02:05 PM
One very awesome plugin.....well done and thank you.

Neat! I've been dying to see what creative people can do with AP, :) Thanks!

BTW, A couple of days ago I silently extended the Launch Special pricing until Friday May 15th ... mainly because I forgot that I had to stagger the email announcements over several days and I wanted to make sure everyone had time to evaluate before the sale ended.

Ma3rk
05-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Hmmm.

Downloaded the Demo, installed the C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013, installed the demo to my 11.6.2, 64-bit, added a groundplane and a few simple objects, clicked the AdvancetPlacment button and ... nada.

When you go to the C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 page, there are several items in the list. Do all of those need to be obtained & installed?

hurley
05-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Hmmm.

Downloaded the Demo, installed the C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013, installed the demo to my 11.6.2, 64-bit, added a groundplane and a few simple objects, clicked the AdvancetPlacment button and ... nada.

When you go to the C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 page, there are several items in the list. Do all of those need to be obtained & installed?

I need more details about "nada" :)

Does the AP interface open?
Does LW crash?

I don't think the C++ Redistributable Package is the problem. But all you need to install is vcredist_x64.exe

Ma3rk
05-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I need more details about "nada" :)

Does the AP interface open?
Does LW crash?

I don't think the C++ Redistributable Package is the problem. But all you need to install is vcredist_x64.exe

No, the interface doesn't open, nor does layout crash. And yes, that's the redistributable I installed prior.

hurley
05-08-2015, 08:24 PM
No, the interface doesn't open, nor does layout crash. And yes, that's the redistributable I installed prior.

Did you add the proper AP plugin (the Generic one) to your LW interface as in the installation video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJ-n9yA1_I)? That's one possible cause for nothing happening.

Also AP needs to write it's config and log files in the same directory that the plugin lives. So you need to make sure that directory has full write permissions set.

JamesCurtis
05-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Hey Steve, I have a purchased copy of AP on one machine already and I'd like to get a second copy on my newest machine. Any chance of getting a price break on another copy to go with the new machine? I'd like to be able to have access to the plug in on both machines.

Ma3rk
05-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Did you add the proper AP plugin (the Generic one) to your LW interface as in the installation video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJ-n9yA1_I)? That's one possible cause for nothing happening.

Also AP needs to write it's config and log files in the same directory that the plugin lives. So you need to make sure that directory has full write permissions set.

This is the first time I'm seeing this video. Didn't see any link to it on your site.

I simply did a search for the plug-in in the Menu config and selected the first one it found. I'll uninstall and try again with these notes.

Ma3rk
05-08-2015, 10:18 PM
OK. Success.

Thanks Steve. I look forward to the test drive.

M.

hurley
05-08-2015, 10:28 PM
OK. Success.

Thanks Steve. I look forward to the test drive.

M.

Oh good :)

There's a link to the Installation Video in the manual which you can find in the "docs" folder on our Dropbox site

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8lyi9189sqgmqy/AADKrG4bnr9tbdsve7DLE9g-a?dl=0

hurley
05-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Hey Steve, I have a purchased copy of AP on one machine already and I'd like to get a second copy on my newest machine. Any chance of getting a price break on another copy to go with the new machine? I'd like to be able to have access to the plug in on both machines.

Do you have 2 licenses of LightWave? If you only have 1 copy of LW then you don't need to buy another copy of AP. You can install it on both machines since it's tied to your LW product lock.

If you do have 2 licenses and you want to buy another AP, please send me a pm.

3DBob
05-09-2015, 04:10 AM
Steve, congratulations and thank you, I have waited for this for a long time.

hurley
05-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Oops. It has come to my attention that I didn't complete the Capture System section of the manual and I probably won't have time to update the manual until after the Launch Special is over.

In the meantime, I've made a simple demo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKLAiZCYmfc) and placed the scene I used for it in the "content" folder on our Dropbox sitel

Here's the steps to produce, save and playback the capture session.

1. Load armadillo_capture.lws
2. Select the armadillo mesh
3. Press the AP Record button to start recording the session. It's important to note that recording is in real time so inactive moments are included in the recording
4. Move and Scale the armadillo using the Transform tool
5. Press the AP Pause button to stop and change the Drag sense to -Z so the the spider will travel head first.
6. Press the AP record again
7. Drag the spider around the ground and onto the armadillo
8. Start the Physics engine
9. Drag the spider around while the Physics engine is running.
10 Press the AP Stop button to end the recording.
11. Press the AP Save button to save the capture session in the AdvancedPlacementData folder within your current content directory. You must save all recordings in this folder
12, Clear the scene
13. Load armadillo_capture.lws again
14. Open the AP interface. The AP interface must be kept open while you playback the recorded session.
15. Load the saved session from the AdvancedPlacementData folder within your current content directory. The loading is handled by a separate thread so that LW's gui will remain active. AP will automatically adjust the frame slider end to the length of the captured frames but you may need to joggle the frame slider to make sure it's updated if your saved session is long.
16. Play the simulation. It will work both forward and backwards

Ma3rk
05-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Oh good :)

There's a link to the Installation Video in the manual which you can find in the "docs" folder on our Dropbox site

Thanks. This is the first mention I've seen of the DropBox link. Having the Docs answers a lot of questions not apparent in the vids.

yosuke_kita
05-13-2015, 02:36 AM
Hi.
Very Nice Plug-in...I'm using demo version.

I cannot emit Lights according to tutorial "Advanced Placement - LightPaint ".
I select Sphere object then click "Pick emitter(s)", and select Point-Light then click "Pick item(s) to emit",
then click "Emit"button...nothing happens. (I succeed to emit normal mesh objects, only fail to emit Lights. )
Are there any tricks or restricts of demo-version?

I think it is difficult to recognize which objects are assigned to "Emitter" and "Emitted Objects" now.

hurley
05-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Hi.
Very Nice Plug-in...I'm using demo version.

I cannot emit Lights according to tutorial "Advanced Placement - LightPaint ".
I select Sphere object then click "Pick emitter(s)", and select Point-Light then click "Pick item(s) to emit",
then click "Emit"button...nothing happens. (I succeed to emit normal mesh objects, only fail to emit Lights. )
Are there any tricks or restricts of demo-version?

Hello,

This should work in the Demo version. I think you perhaps you forgot to add Physics properties to the Light?

I made a simple demo on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiAQh6lH7o)

Here are the steps I used to create it:
1. Using Layout Modeler Tools create default Ground Plane
2. Create Sphere with 12 sides and 6 segments to reduce point count
3 Change Light from Distant to Point
4. Open Advanced Placement interface
5. Use Edit list -> "Add Layout all" to populate the AP selection box
6, Select Light and make it a Dynamic Body type
7. Click on Light with RMB and drag upwards to reduces the size of the Collision Shape for the Light
8. Select New Sphere Object and make it's Collision shape Ball and Body type Static
9. Select New Ground Plane Object and because it is 2D you must make it's Collision Shape Mesh and Body type Static
10 Open the Emit Tool and change Type to Item
11. Select New Sphere Object in the AP selection box
12. Click on Pick emitter to make the Sphere the emitter item. AP will draw normals coming out of the Sphere's vertices to let you know it's an emitter
13. Clear the AP selection box by clicking on a blank area
14. Select the Light
15 Click on Pick item to emit
16. Reduce Speed to 10
17. Click on Emit button to emit the lights from the Sphere vertices

I think it is difficult to recognize which objects are assigned to "Emitter" and "Emitted Objects" now.
I agree the Item to be emitted needs some visual feedback and I will add it to the first maintenance release of AP

yosuke_kita
05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your reply and step-by-step instruction.
(and agreement about my feedback)

I succeed to emit Lights!
I'll order later.

Thanks.

Ma3rk
05-14-2015, 12:18 AM
With regard to the emit function, is there a way to control the speed or force? I used your light example and changing mass, gravity, etc. didn't make any difference..

Also, is it the emitter objects vertices that are the origin for the emitted?

hurley
05-14-2015, 04:44 AM
With regard to the emit function, is there a way to control the speed or force? I used your light example and changing mass, gravity, etc. didn't make any difference..

Also, is it the emitter objects vertices that are the origin for the emitted?

There's a Speed control in the Emit tool that applies to the initial impulse when the instance is emitted. If you change the physics settings of the item being emitted then the next batch of instances will have the new properties. So in the video, if you give the lights a positive gravity setting they will rise upwards after being emitted.

Yes the emitter objects vertices are the origin for the emitted items. They are given an initial impulse in the direction of the vertex normal

hurley
05-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that the sale price of $149 will end tomorrow night, May 15, at midnight and return to the normal price of $199 on Saturday May 16. I live in EST time and its about 7am Thursday May 14 now so there's less then 48 hours remaining for the launch special price.

Thanks for making the launch of AP a great success to all who have already ordered!!! A few bugs have been discovered during this swelling of the user base and I'm working on fixing them now. I hope to have the first maintenance patch of AP ready by next week.

spherical
05-14-2015, 10:16 PM
OK. Trying to get this purchased and PP doesn't recognize our User/Pass through your interface with them. Testing a normal login to them works as expected.

EDIT: Even tried using my SO's name and email in your cart fields, as it is her credentials that are on the primary PP account, in case PP was "loading" that and comparing to the login data. NADA. ?

hurley
05-15-2015, 03:28 AM
OK. Trying to get this purchased and PP doesn't recognize our User/Pass through your interface with them. Testing a normal login to them works as expected.

EDIT: Even tried using my SO's name and email in your cart fields, as it is her credentials that are on the primary PP account, in case PP was "loading" that and comparing to the login data. NADA. ?

Sorry, about that. I'm not sure what the problems is but you, or anyone who's having problems with the cart, can try a direct payment through PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/send-money-online)

My PayPal email is [email protected]

You'll just need to send me your dongle ID via another email through the website (http://hurleyworks.com/contact/) so I can generate a license code for you

Draydin_r
05-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Hello Hurley,

I have a serious problem (or perhaps not, I hope). When I purchased my copy of AP, I misunderstood what Product Lock ID meant and didn't input my LW Product Lock ID number and thus have yet to receive my license. I've tried getting a hold of you through your support and contact emails on the website but I haven't heard back. I apologize if I'm bothering you but I would really like to start working with your plugin!

Please get back to me as soon as you are able!

Cheers!
Draydin_r

JamesCurtis
05-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Hi Steve,

I installed the AP Plugin that I got from you today [Thanks], but every time I click on the AdvancePlacement button I created [as per the instruction video] I get an instant LW Layout crash. This is on Windows 8.1. I never get the interface to come up. So I can't license the plugin at all.

I even tried the Demo and have the same issue.

My other Windows Vista machine has been working fine.

Any help would [of course] be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

hurley
05-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi James,

The usual suspect when this occurs is that you don't have full write permission set for the folder that you've placed the AP plugins. AP needs to be able to write it's log and config files there. If that's not the problem please let me know.

JamesCurtis
05-16-2015, 09:01 AM
I am able to get AP to work if I run Lightwave as administator. Have not had any success otherwise. Not really familiar with windows 8.1 with regard to permissions. I had heard about this issue somewhere else. I guess I can run as administrator for now. I am the only person using the machine. I was looking at the file and folder properties, and folders are marked read only [I guess], and files themself are not marked.

Anyhow, for now it looks like, at least, I can run LW as admin to get around this..

If you or anyone else has any insight, let me know.

Thanks.

Greenlaw
05-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Just got our second license here! :)

G.

jwiede
05-17-2015, 06:24 AM
In case I hadn't said it already:

Steve, just wanted to thank you for developing and releasing such a great plugin for Lightwave! It adds much needed instancing functionality to Lightwave, across multiple areas. It might be a 1.0 but has been through lengthy testing and debugging ( ;) ), resulting in a highly-stable released product that was very much worth the wait. The plugin offers great value for price!

I highly recommend anyone whose instancing needs go beyond the capability of LW's internal instancing support consider (and purchase) Advanced Placement, it is money well spent.

goakes
05-17-2015, 11:41 AM
+1

Davewriter
05-17-2015, 08:27 PM
In case I hadn't said it already:

Steve, just wanted to thank you for developing and releasing such a great plugin for Lightwave! It adds much needed instancing functionality to Lightwave, across multiple areas. It might be a 1.0 but has been through lengthy testing and debugging ( ;) ), resulting in a highly-stable released product that was very much worth the wait. The plugin offers great value for price!

I highly recommend anyone whose instancing needs go beyond the capability of LW's internal instancing support consider (and purchase) Advanced Placement, it is money well spent.

+1
As well as a THANKS for putting up with all of us Complainers. No rocks being thrown. My house is solid glass and the first thing I had to do was cry.
Many times the Customer Service end of things is more difficult than doing the Plugin.
We really do appreciate all you do!

allabulle
05-18-2015, 05:46 AM
+1

Ma3rk
05-25-2015, 01:02 AM
The AP About box indicates that there's an update but don't know where to find it. There's nothing on the website, nor is the dropbox link showing one. Is it actually available yet?

hurley
05-26-2015, 08:06 AM
The PC version is in the Dropbox/plugins/bleeding_edge_compiles folder. I'm traveling at the moment but will be back tomorrow to add the Mac version too.

The main changes in AP 1.0.1 now are:

1. Fixed a bug where AP doubles the scale for Static meshes with a LW displacement applied
2. Added a "Rescan LW geometry" button in the Physics Tab so you can manually force AP to update the it's geometry buffers when you've altered mesh points using a LW displacement tool.

I'm working on several other bug fixes and will update the bleeding_edge_complies as soon as they are ready.

Ma3rk
05-27-2015, 11:14 PM
This seems to be the thread others are preferring so I'll post here.

I'm trying to reproduce the MamaRock video using Emit and not having any luck at all with the latest build (1.0.1). This worked for me before with 1.0.0.

I'm not getting any visible instances nor is my item responding to physics. At first, the instance counter is at 0, but clicking Rest & it's quickly in the thousands. Abort doesn't stop it counting up, nor does pause, reset or step. Start however stops it.

I've followed along with the steps in the video to select the emitter, get the green spikes, deselect the item in the list then reselect it for the items to emit, change the scaling and emit settings, but when I click emit, nothing visible or in the instance count. I'm assuming I've actually selected the item to emit but there's no feed back or list to go by.

Layout doesn't crash but I have to use Task manager to kill it.

I'll try dropping back to 1.0.0 in the morning to see if there's something obvious I'm missing but wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

hurley
05-28-2015, 02:44 AM
This seems to be the thread others are preferring so I'll post here.

I'm trying to reproduce the MamaRock video using Emit and not having any luck at all with the latest build (1.0.1). This worked for me before with 1.0.0.

I'm not getting any visible instances nor is my item responding to physics. At first, the instance counter is at 0, but clicking Rest & it's quickly in the thousands. Abort doesn't stop it counting up, nor does pause, reset or step. Start however stops it.

I've followed along with the steps in the video to select the emitter, get the green spikes, deselect the item in the list then reselect it for the items to emit, change the scaling and emit settings, but when I click emit, nothing visible or in the instance count. I'm assuming I've actually selected the item to emit but there's no feed back or list to go by.

Layout doesn't crash but I have to use Task manager to kill it.

I'll try dropping back to 1.0.0 in the morning to see if there's something obvious I'm missing but wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Hi Mark,

It's probably best to post these types of questions in the AP thread in the 3rd party section. I took a little down time after release so I've haven't been as responsive as I should but I'm back now. :)

The scene used for the Mama Rock video is in the Dropbox content folder ( called rock_mama.lws ). I just tried it with AP 1.01 and it works fine if I scale down the emitted rocks to under 10%.

One thing to watch out for when item emitting is super high instance counts due to using meshes with high point counts as emitters. And if the items you're emitting are not scaled down to where they don't intersect on launch you might bring the physics engine to it's knees trying to resolve a huge number of contact points

I just added a "Display Emitted Items" button in the Display Tab to give you feedback when you select the item(s) to be emitted

Ma3rk
05-28-2015, 09:13 AM
OK. Thanks Steve. I'll give that a try.