PDA

View Full Version : Free Toolchefs Harmonic Deformer for Lightwave

Piddu
04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Hello guys!
Another free plug-in for LW users:
https://www.toolchefs.com/?portfolio=harmonic-deformer-lightwave

Please be careful with it and read the instructions. This tool is very handy, but it has to be used carefully!

Ciao,
Daniele

Piddu
04-29-2015, 09:44 AM
By the way, thanks to Lino Grandi for beta testing the plug-in!

lino.grandi
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Thank you for this great free plugin!

jeric_synergy
05-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm very interested in this (just DL'd) and wonder if anyone has given it a whirl? Impressions?

Piddu
05-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm very interested in this (just DL'd) and wonder if anyone has given it a whirl? Impressions?

Just to let you know, I'm working on an update and it should be available next week.

Thanks,
Daniele

KurtF
05-02-2015, 11:07 AM
From the video and what I briefly looked over on their web page - and this is probably just me - I couldn't really tell what this does. Harmonic - okay, I didn't see any undulating waves on the model. Distorter - well the model's limbs moved in the video but that could have just been bones. I just don't see what this plug in actually does. Sorry.

ernpchan
05-02-2015, 11:16 AM
http://graphics.pixar.com/library/HarmonicCoordinatesB/

jeric_synergy
05-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Just to let you know, I'm working on an update and it should be available next week.

!!! Wow, thanks Piddu! I'm looking forward to playing with this soon as I get some time! :) :(

jasonwestmas
05-02-2015, 12:25 PM
your stuff looks very creative, thanks!!

lino.grandi
05-03-2015, 05:30 AM
This is an extremely useful deformer! As the new version will be out, I'll make some content showing how it can be used.

Ryan Roye
05-03-2015, 10:01 AM
This is an extremely useful deformer! As the new version will be out, I'll make some content showing how it can be used.

Geometry-driven deformers ---> Mandatory. Nuff said :D

Dodgy
05-03-2015, 05:47 PM
How does this differ from other cage deformers? Metalink and 3d Powers for example?

lino.grandi
05-04-2015, 02:43 AM
The deformation is smoother and more controllable than using metalink. Metalink may be faster, but harmonics based deformations really look better. Setup is easier and faster than 3RD Powers amazing tools.

lightscape
05-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Kind of disturbing that a Newtek QA tester is beta testing a cage deformer from a third party dev.
Lightwave has no cage deformer of its own for more than a decade. Shouldn't this be addressed by the lightwave programmers themselves and then tested by the QA?

Nice work though Piddu for supporting lw.

Piddu
05-04-2015, 03:16 AM
Kind of disturbing that a Newtek QA tester is beta testing a cage deformer from a third party dev.
Lightwave has no cage deformer of its own for more than a decade. Shouldn't this be addressed by the lightwave programmers themselves and then tested by the QA?

Hi lightscape,

Lino is a friend of mine and he has been for a long time. He is just doing me a favor.
He's testing this so that you will not experience some of the issues he is facing right now using this deformer (and believe me: they're quite a few!). Writing these kind of deformers can be quite painful with any software SDK and I needed a tester.

Although I don't know anything about the LW team, I know what working in a development team means. I'm sure they have higher priorities to keep up with the market and I'm sure they are doing their best to build new features for you.

Thanks,
Daniele

motivalex
05-04-2015, 03:22 AM
Or kind of good that a LW developer is working with 3rd party developers. This is a postive thing with Lino. Plus this plugin is FREE! I want the LW3D group to work well with 3rd party developers so they can focus on improving/updating the main LW app to allow better workflows, features and open up to more powerful 3rd party solutions.

mav3rick
05-04-2015, 03:42 AM

that does not mean he cannot test/try 3rd party stuff? i dont feel it disturbing in any way.. rather opposite.

lino.grandi
05-04-2015, 06:07 AM

I always offer my help to anyone asking for it, especially if it's for a free plugin and can make LightWave better. I really can't see anything disturbing about it. Just the opposite.

And that's what we generally do with all our 3rd parties supporting LightWave.

Netvudu
05-04-2015, 06:46 AM
I like how some people turn everything into a lose lose situation. While Layout does need some better deformers, if the devs didnīt help at all, there would be people complaining about the devs not paying attention to third parties, and how Max has a lot of plugins, and its better because of blah,blah.
Now, if a dev tries to help a third party, itīs also bad because instead of doing their jobs theyīre helping other people and sucking our money and blah,blah....

Lino, sometimes I really feel bad for you guys. Some customers are impossible to satisfy...the funny thing is that some of the people complaining might also be complaining about pesky customers that are never happy. They should use a mirror sometimes.

jasonwestmas
05-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Third parties work closely with the main software developers all the time. Mainly because of all the changes that happen and then the 3rd parties have to figure out what those changes are. Working closely like that makes updates happen faster and are more likely to happen.

Ernest
05-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I feel the need to add my voice to the choir saying that there is nothing disturbing at all with 3rd parties getting support from NT, and it was actually fresh and reassuring to hear them tell us about it.

Oedo 808
05-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Lino should be working on LightWave from the moment he rises to the point at which he passes out. I suppose eating and drinking could be permitted under exceptional circumstances.

Ryan Roye
05-04-2015, 09:21 AM
TIP:

On the ToolChefs webpage for this plugin, it states:

First import your cage, then import your mesh. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HELP LW UNDERSTAND WHICH ITEM PROCESS FIRST!)

For some deformation plugins in Lightwave both 3rd party and native, the order in which you add your objects to the scene affects when their deformations are evaluated... the most common symptom of improper evaluation is the annoying "off-by-one" error, where things seem to lag behind by 1 frame. Fortunately there are 2 ways to adjust the item sequence list WITHOUT deleting/re-adding things:

1) In the new scene editor, you can click "Name" until it says "Sequence". This displays the order in which items were added to the scene (sorted by item type), which can affect the order in which they are evaluated. You can change the order by moving items in the list up or down, like displayed in the image below. Note that you can only perform this mouse action when the list is set to sort by sequence!

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/NSE_SequenceList.png

2) The classic scene editor always displays items in the order in which they were added, so you can shuffle them up or down as needed.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/OSE_SequenceList.png

In summary, if you experience any kind of slight miscalculation in motion modifiers or deformations, check your scene editor sequence list and ensure they are in the proper order. Rule of thumb: the items driving the effect should always be placed ABOVE the items they are affecting.

lightscape
05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't have found it disturbing if it wasn't a Newtek QA who was testing it.
A lattice deformer in lightwave has been on the request list for more than 10 years.

Again like I mentioned, its good that newtek has good relationship with thirdparty. A friend helping out is even better.

But you have to wonder when will a Lattice deformer be a native tool lightwave. That's the big Q. Its standard on other appz.

Ernest
05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I see what you're saying but I actually find that even less disturbing. Yes, we've all been waiting for lattices for years, but suddenly we find ourselves with lattice deformers that work just like native tools, even from multiple sources. I'd actually be disturbed if NT were wasting their time duplicating their efforts before working on an animation deformer stack that will let us use those lattices really effectively in charanim, and which 3rd parties can't provide. As well as other much needed deep architectural changes. I actually thought that one of the reasons we embraced LW2015 was because it strongly indicated that the team had slowed down in adding tools so they must have poured their efforts into the architecture.

lino.grandi
05-04-2015, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't have found it disturbing if it wasn't a Newtek QA who was testing it.
A lattice deformer in lightwave has been on the request list for more than 10 years.

Again like I mentioned, its good that newtek has good relationship with thirdparty. A friend helping out is even better.

But you have to wonder when will a Lattice deformer be a native tool lightwave. That's the big Q. Its standard on other appz.

I think you're mixing some very different things here.
In which way helping Third Party testing some tool should confilct with our internal development?

jeric_synergy
05-04-2015, 12:05 PM
, but suddenly we find ourselves with lattice deformers that work just like native tools, even from multiple sources.
How did THAT happen??? Or: How DID that happen?

Pour moi, it's that some of the tools we crave are functional under 9.6! That's crazy making.

jasonwestmas
05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
In which way helping Third Party testing some tool should confilct with our internal development?

Plus seemingly similar tools from different developers always have their own strengths and weaknesses depending on who codes it. More the merrier.

Thomas Helzle
05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Looking forward to give it a try, thanks!

But I don't understand that installer:
Why not make it a simple zip file instead so it can be extracted to the LW folder right away?
Or if it has to be an installer (I don't need one), let me select where to install to?

Cheers and thanks again :-)

Tom

Dodgy
05-04-2015, 06:42 PM
+1 for a zip :) I don't see the point of installers for plugins.

Ryan Roye
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
+1 for a zip :) I don't see the point of installers for plugins.

Agreed.

m.d.
05-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Lino should be working on LightWave from the moment he rises to the point at which he passes out. I suppose eating and drinking could be permitted under exceptional circumstances.

:thumbsup:

Netvudu
05-05-2015, 10:33 AM
I donīt see why eating and drinking should be permitted no matter how exceptional the circumstancers were.:D

ianr
05-05-2015, 11:17 AM
It's RAINING LATTICES, mmmmwha!!!!!

(sing along now)

Grazi Piddu:dance:

raymondtrace
05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I have yet to try this plugin but I hope it makes better transformations than the NicolasCageDeformer.

https://i.imgur.com/WXjO0Q5.gif

bazsa73
05-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Let's disturb ourselves over harmonic deformers tested by Lino!

lightscape
05-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Ok point blank question.
Is a native lattice deformer in lightwaves near future? As in within two years?. I reiterate its a standard tool in other appz for +decade.
There are threads popping up numerous times already pointing out "LW's development or lack thereof"

Conflict, to me it conflicts with time and resources. Will newtek just sit around now because there's 3rd powers with its decent lattice deformer and this one by toolchef?
That's not good imho, IMHO. That's wasting both third parties time trying to code a tool that would be quickly obsolete without them knowing since they could be coding other creative stuff, or wasting newteks time being idle waiting for third party to deliver a standard tool that is substandard in performance in the end.

lino.grandi
05-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Ok point blank question.
Is a native lattice deformer in lightwaves near future? As in within two years?. I reiterate its a standard tool in other appz for +decade.
There are threads popping up numerous times already pointing out "LW's development or lack thereof"

That question has nothing to do with me testing some plugin. Which is part of my "being-up-to-date" about LightWave. I hope I can spend my weekends the way I like.

Conflict, to me it conflicts with time and resources.

No, it doesn't. It helps third parties. And since we're talking about a FREE plugin, it also helps users.

Will newtek just sit around now because there's 3rd powers with its decent lattice deformer and this one by toolchef?
I don't think there's any relation at all between me (or any NewTek's guy) helping a third party and the internal LightWave development direction.

That's not good imho, IMHO. That's wasting both third parties time trying to code a tool that would be quickly obsolete without them knowing since they could be coding other creative stuff, or wasting newteks time being idle waiting for third party to deliver a standard tool that is substandard in performance in the end.

I can respect your opinion. But it really doesn't makes any sense to me. And it looks like most users (if not all of them) commenting in this thread are thinking the same.

bobakabob
05-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Lino, with your artist friendly approach, you Rob, Matt and the LW3dg are taking Lightwave in a confident, creative direction.
Thanks Toolchefs and Lino for your generosity in contributing this *free* plugin :)

Piddu
05-06-2015, 03:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I just released the update and you can find it at the same web page:
https://www.toolchefs.com/?portfolio=harmonic-deformer-lightwave

I did not make a new video, but the new parameters I added are described on the web page.

Thanks,
Daniele

ianr
05-06-2015, 07:01 AM
= +1 BkB !!

lardbros
05-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks for making cool tools, it's a great time for LightWave at the moment, especially the 3rd party support!

With regard to the naysayers... I'm with the positive side of the party. I simply cannot understand how a thread like this can have negativity brought into it!
It's entirely down to Lino how he spends his free-time, forum users can't dictate how he should be spending his time, that's ridiculous!

Anyway, thanks Tool Chefs, love your website and the tools. It's also nice to see true industry pro's using/developing for LightWave.

ianr
05-06-2015, 07:05 AM
A was really stung by how real a performance that was

p.s. did they use Nevron as well? LoL

+1 ray

jasonwestmas
05-06-2015, 03:00 PM
"Iterations

The deformer solves the Laplace equation using an iterative method. If you increase the iterations the weights spreads more evenly inside the cage.
The greater this value is the greater the weight computation time will be. It will also use more hardware resources."

Interesting, does this last sentence mean that this plugin is GPU aware?

ivanze
05-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Not necessarily, your CPU is hardware too. :)

jasonwestmas
05-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Not necessarily, your CPU is hardware too. :)

lol more CPU core aware then?

thekho
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Have you all tested that plugins on Lightwave 11.6? Mine won't be work and i got plug-in error. They said "Plug-in tcHarmonicDeformer failed to start." By way i am using Lightwave 11.6.3 and i love your Modeling Toolset especially Lattice Tool!

jeric_synergy
05-07-2015, 09:35 PM
lol more CPU core aware then?

Could be referring to RAM also.