PDA

View Full Version : How to split geometry on equal parts?

MarcusM
04-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Hi,

I need to split geometry (low poly vehicle) on equal parts for example 1280 on 5 times 256 triangles or simmilar values. Not bigger than 256 and each part must be closed... any ideas?

Sensei
04-27-2015, 05:06 AM
Ask programmer to write code? ;)

MarcusM
04-27-2015, 05:23 AM
Thanks, good idea but hard to do ;]

My question is propably not actual now... problem is about new physic in Unity 5. Necessary are mesh colliders preety good describing object (for shooting detection). It must be convex, can't be concave, max 256 tris each collider (can be few for example on body, few on turret etc.) :(
I have many vehicles to prepare..

I have this plugin but it's not so good. I can't have 200 colliders on one part in model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu__FxT8Gzk

Propably must model all by hand or cut geometry in few places for good convex generating.

MonroePoteet
04-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I don't know if it'd work, but you might experiment with Multiply=>Fracture. Try the default settings, then identify concavity issues with the results (i.e. which parts Fracture created that have concavities) and Fracture generated "chunks" that have more than 256 polys. Then, either Undo Fracture and set up some Points in the background layer to focus Fracture to break up the original model around to those issues, or use Construct=>Boolean Tunnel and Core with a background volume to "slice" the problem part at the concavity or into pieces that meet the 256-poly restriction.

With a little practice (since you have a bunch to do), you might start being able to identify the concavity issues in the original model and use the Tunnel / Core approach to divide up the model before even trying Fracture.

mTp

P.S. For a collision mesh, you might be able to use Construct=>Reduce Polys + Options tool, checking the Preserve Mesh Quality to reduce the model polygons before using Fracture.