PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Poser.

Paul_Boland
04-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Hi Folks.

I am considering upgrading my old Poser 8 (which doesn't work on Windows 7 or 8) to the latest Poser Pro 2014. One of the main reasons for this (apart from getting Poser back working again) is the ability to load Poser characters directly into Lightwave. That's pretty awesome!! I was wondering if any Poser users here could just chip in and give me some feedback on how well Poser and Lightwave work together? I have watched a Newtek Poser To Lightwave video on YouTube and it was pretty impressive I must admit but I want to hear from the people who actually have it and have used it and know the pro's and con's of it all.

Thanks.

Markc
04-26-2015, 09:03 AM
I havn't tried the Poser/LightWave combo, but I would definitely keep an eye on the prices on Amazon/Smith Micro before buying.
The new version must be due out soon, and the prices can drop up to 50% on Amazon/Smith Micro (just after Xmas it was about half the price it is now) and Smith Micro regularly have huge discounts throughout the year.

Oldcode
04-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Hey Paul,

I have PP14 and I use it with Lightwave often. It's pretty cool because you can import the entire poser scene, geometry, animation, textures, and dynamic clothing, right into Lightwave. The only thing you can't import that I've noticed so far is you can't import dynamic hair.

What you do is animate your characters and open the poser PZ3 file in Lightwave. Then you can build the scene around your characters. I've been having a lot of fun using the Instancer to make forests for the characters to walk around in.

The only drawback is you can't alter the animation in Lightwave. It's baked in. What you can do is move & rotate the poser objects, but the animation itself needs to be changed in Poser. After you make any changes, just reload the Lightwave scene file and the changed will be there. Another problem that we all know about is how often Lightwave crashes. This tends to increase somewhat when dealing with poser scenes, but its still more than usable. One issue you may have heard about is the PP12 Lightwave plugin had a problem with how it imported the poser model textures, making them look faded and washed out. This has been fixed in PP14.

PP14 also has its own version of Bullet dynamics built in and its pretty cool, although I have not as yet been able to get it to work for any more my needs.

Hope this helps,

Cheers! :D

Sekhar
04-26-2015, 09:21 AM
I have Poser Pro 2012 and had used it for creating some fashion design previz work, and it worked well. And it continues to work with my LW 2015.2. Extremely easy to bring in figures (and animations) directly into layout. You can also do instancing for crowd simulations and the like. Overall, I'd say good integration.

Ma3rk
04-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Pretty much what the others have stated. It's a pretty painless process with the Pro version in order to get the Fusion plugin.

Figured I'd post some samples brought in from Poser Pro 2014 and possibly even from DAZ via Poser but rendered in LW 11.62 and using the sIBL tools.

In the last case, I just used the mesh and used as a RHiggit2 exercise.

127994 127993 127995 127996

Paul_Boland
04-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Awesome!! Thanks very much for the feedback. It's always great to hear from people that actually use the software and what was said above has made me smile. Thanks for the feedback about the price too, Markc.

Markc
05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Paul
Poser 10 (not Pro...yet) is on offer for $50 dollars until May 11th on Smith Micro site (100 on amazon).

Ma3rk
05-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Paul
Poser 10 (not Pro...yet) is on offer for $50 dollars until May 11th on Smith Micro site (100 on amazon).

I don't think the non Pro version has, or is capable of using, the Fusion plug-in to exchange with Lightwave however.

Markc
05-08-2015, 12:07 PM
That is true, but for $50 you get a load of stock characters which you can take into LW and add Genoma or whatever, or just use as is for static images.

Paul_Boland
05-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info. My partner bought me Poser Pro 2014 a week ago, I'm delighted with it and learning how to use it with Lightwave.

Davewriter
05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
LOVE seeing Robbie!
Where did you find him?

Ma3rk
05-09-2015, 12:57 AM
LOVE seeing Robbie!
Where did you find him?

I found him on a free site somewhere, sometime ago. Had to extensively rework him however to animate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3ELMJK-E7k

Same thing with the Tucker.

Davewriter
05-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Good Job!
Somewhere in Burbank Calif, Robbie is glowing with happiness.

Ma3rk
05-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Tanksh!

ruscular
12-01-2017, 08:20 PM
3RDpowers weight paint plugin allow me to add weight to any surface on the poser model to be able to add dynamics without crashing. I think it's a hub issues.

Hey Paul,

PP14 also has its own version of Bullet dynamics built in and its pretty cool, although I have not as yet been able to get it to work for any more my needs.

Hope this helps,

Cheers! :D

https://i.imgur.com/V7ytUaJ.gif