PDA

View Full Version : Internet Protection Software?

VonBon
04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
My AVG is expired and I wanted to see what you guys
use and recommend for internet protection software.

hrgiger
04-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Avast. https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Lewis
04-23-2015, 09:50 AM
If you are on windows, you can go with Microsoft Security Essentials or now known as Windows Defender and it's free for win users.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

spherical
04-23-2015, 02:57 PM
ESET Smart Security on three workstations, one laptop, one tablet and two phones. Been running their stuff for, idanno, ten years now. No issues with application compatibility, light on resources, very customizable as to how tight you want your security to be in individual areas: file system, Internet, local network, email.

speismonqui
04-23-2015, 06:37 PM
I've used Comodo Free Internet security in the past, reliable, no complaints. I then switched to free AVG, again, very solid.

My new Dell came with a 1 year McAfee free subscription, not a big fan but it's free.

On a side note, yesterday a had some issues (not sure what happened) but I kind of freak out so I ran CCleaner (always used it prior to windows 8.1) just to find out all my native windows apps were ruined! I had to manually repair all of them one by one, what a PITA.
Apparently win8.1 doesn't get along with cleaners like CCleaner nor defragment tools, not to mention registry cleaners.

Just my 2 cents: Be carefull when running CCleaner or any other cleaner software.

madno
04-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Gdata

I use it for years. No problems so far. But not free.
They just won the comparison run of the very reputable consumer magazine called TEST. TEST is the most repected source in Germany for independent reviews and tests of products and services.

https://www.gdata-software.com/newsroom/news/article/stiftung-warentest-g-data-internet-security-test-winner-again

Ernest
04-27-2015, 09:55 AM
At one point, I was constantly plagued by viruses and it was almost impossible to get rid of some of them. Then, many years ago, I discovered an amazing Internet protection and I have not had a single virus ever since. Not even one. Even though I have not changed my computer use. This Internet protection is to NOT install Java.

gjjackson
04-27-2015, 10:10 AM
You can also use a browser that will disable individual scripts. There are times when Java is needed and I only select those to allow and only temporarily.

I also use this to disable Flash, ActiveX.

art
04-27-2015, 10:41 AM
For the past 6+ years I've been following an advice from one of the admins at work: don't give your user account admin rights. I have a separate account that I use when admin access is needed. It's a bit annoying at first but you get used to it. Some apps won't work without admin rights, but most do. I only get prompts for admin password when installing new software, accessing system settings or when "I know what I'm doing".
I don't recall any major virus problems on my system in recent years. I use MS security essentials and occasionally I run malwarebytes scan for and clean minor/low risk stuff that always seem to get through. Good advice above about java. I tend to skip anything that requires/asks for java installation.

Edit: I tried a bunch of usual free av programs, AVG, Avast etc but they either tend to expire or have some other issues (slow, ads, etc). MS security essentials barely catches anything but I'm not sure if that's because it's crap, or the limited user account works well.

spherical
04-27-2015, 10:37 PM
You can also use a browser that will disable individual scripts. There are times when Java is needed and I only select those to allow and only temporarily.

Make sure you are recognizing the difference between Java and Javascript. They're not the same and, yes, their names might have been better differentiated when this all started out to avoid the confusion.

prometheus
04-28-2015, 01:10 AM
I have used avast free version for some years now, it works quite nicely...though I thought they sort of managed to cripple the avast UI and functionality the last versions, and the latest updates contains more ads then previously before, so I am starting to be a little annoyed by that.
have tried avg...but extremly slow compared to avast..same with avira, norton I would call it is a virus...I would rely on panda or macafee which I have been afraid of since their updates threatens to erase important configuration files.

I would suggest use avast or use what many considers the best one...f-secure.
a recent comparison in a swedish mag rated avg ast no1 before avast..and partly because of avast free version slowing down the computer, personally I felt the otherway around
and avg was slower, but that might have changed, I also think I had issues with lightwave and avg..which I didnīt have with avast.

macaffe and defender, horrible slow...but could also be a question of settings of the realtime protection options.

Michael