PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

seghier
04-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Hello
i don't use lightwave always ; i just tried something last days
i found problems and i have questions :
- first is the help files ; very old and don't explain all tools ( help files in 3dsmax was very useful )
- i see some tutorials and also they don't explain how they used shortcuts ( like they explain for Advanced users )
- when i tried some tools like rail extrude and i don't fallow the right steps ; lightwave force closed ! why it didn't simply show me error message about where is the problem ?
- when i send objects to layout i can't recenter pivot
- i tried cloth fx : i get nice result but i don't know how made it smooth and why the collison give bad result ?

- when i applied fracture to a cube and sent it to layout and apply rigid body a small part was fix and didn't move ! i think this is a bug but sadly lightwave 11.6.3 don't have new update
- i use wacom intuos and there is difference between navigation in modeler and layout
- in layout when i move camera it moved without probelm but when i create rigid bodies and play animation than move the camera and play again the camera go to the original place !
- there is no guide for shortcuts with explanation ; and i hope when they explain think about beginners who use the software for the first time
- when i choose camera view i don't know how i can move the camera or rotate it to choose the right view

i am beginner with lightwave ; i like and hope learn more ; lightwave have different interfaces ; different logic to work so it need time to understaned and remember all commands and shortcuts
finally i used maxwell for render and i like it ; i don't have other render engine , i asked lightwave support since long time about render fiberfx with maxwell and they asked me to contact the developper
i asked the developper in maxwell forum and he say that lightwave sdk don't allow him to export fiberfx ; i don't know if this is secret of th company but please allow other developpers to made useful plugins.
i can't use other software to create hair to render it in maxwell ; or if there is some method to export the fiberfx as splines or mesh ?
i have alot of questions and i hope get clear answers
sorry for my english

jboudreau
04-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Hi

Welcome to the lightwave community. I'll do my best to try and answer most of your questions.

- first is the help files ; very old and don't explain all tools ( help files in 3dsmax was very useful )

The help files in lightwave version 11.6.3 uses an old web based help which is actually for lightwave version 10, The newest build of lightwave 2015.2 now uses the recently up to date PDF manuals when you click on the help button. If you own lightwave you should be able to download the PDF manuals from your login account. If you don't own lightwave download the latest 30 Day demo and you will see what I mean, and you will be able to get the manuals. These manuals are up to date and are much more helpful with all tools.

- i see some tutorials and also they don't explain how they used shortcuts ( like they explain for Advanced users )

Every user is different in all software, There are users out there that teach differently. Some use shortcuts and some don't. Sometimes it's second nature to use shortcuts (becasue they are so fast and efficient) and some tend to forget that they are doing so. I myself try my best to show every button I am pressing so a beginner like your self can follow it to a tee hopefully ending up with the same results. My suggestion if you can't follow a tutorial you could do the following, Message the original author of the tutorial asking them questions regarding the tutorial, Ask on the forum providing a link to the tutorial, Find another tutorial, there are tons on the web even some tutorials from other 3D software can come in handy once you learn how the tools work.

- when i tried some tools like rail extrude and i don't fallow the right steps ; lightwave force closed ! why it didn't simply show me error message about where is the problem ?

Sometimes if you don't use a tool the way it was meant to be used it will crash or give an error it just depnds on what you were doing at the time, This happens in most software not just lightwave. I suggest looking in the manual to see how the rail extrude works. Ask question on the forum, search for tutorials on youtube etc. What were you trying to do when it crashed? When using Rail Extrude you need to have the object you are extruding in the foreground layer and the path(curve) you are extruding on in the background layer. You also have to line up your foreground object to the start of your path(curve) the start of the curve is represented by a small diamond shape.
- when i send objects to layout i can't recenter pivot

You have to go back into modeler and do the following steps

- choose layers tab/Pivot tool this will show you the pivot point of your current object.
- Press the Center Pivot Button. (This will put the pivot point in the ceter of your object
- Switch to Layout
- Choose Modify tab/ and under the Translate Section Choose Move Pivot.
- Still under the Modfy tab Go under the General Section and Choose Reset button (This will re-center the pivot point to your object)

Hope this helps

- i tried cloth fx : i get nice result but i don't know how made it smooth and why the collison give bad result ?

Hard to say without seeing exactly what you were tyring to do. Smooth could be the result of not having enough polygons in your object, Not having smooth checked off for your material. Not having your object sub patched ... There could be numerous reasons for this. I would suggest posting this question in the forum and provide some images or even the scene file. There are many users on here that would be glad to help you with your problem.

- when i applied fracture to a cube and sent it to layout and apply rigid body a small part was fix and didn't move ! i think this is a bug but sadly lightwave 11.6.3 don't have new update

I'm not getting that here on 11.6.3. What exactly are you trying to do?

- i use wacom intuos and there is difference between navigation in modeler and layout

Can't help you here becasue I don't use wacome tablets, I just use a mouse here

- in layout when i move camera it moved without probelm but when i create rigid bodies and play animation than move the camera and play again the camera go to the original place !

I'm not getting that here either on 11.6.3. Did you make sure your Autokey has been checked (This will automatically create keyframes for you) witout it on they you have to manually press the enter key creatiing keyframes if not the object, camera etc will go back to it's original place.

- there is no guide for shortcuts with explanation ; and i hope when they explain think about beginners who use the software for the first time

You can get and set all the keyboard shortcuts by doing the following Choose Edit, then Edit Keyboard shortcuts button. Here you will see all the tools and their assigned shortcut. You can change them if you want. Also on most of the tools in the interface the keyboard shortcut is on the right side of the button.

^ = Ctrl Key (Windows PC)
+ = Shift Key (Windows PC)
* = Alt Key (Windows PC)

- when i choose camera view i don't know how i can move the camera or rotate it to choose the right view

There are a few ways you can do this, here are some

Press the d key on the keyboard and change your Viewport Layout to Quad or when in single view Press the F3 key on the keyboard this will change it to quad view. Here you can select the camera and use the appropriate handles to move and rotate it.

To move you can hit the T key (or choose the modify tab at the top and under translate choose move
To rotate you can hit the Y key (or choose the modify tab at the top and under Rotate choose Rotate.

To stretch you can hit the h key (or choose the modify tab at the top and under Transform choose Stretch.

To scale you can hit Shift h key (or choose the modify tab at the top and under Transform choose Size.

You can also toggle through the different handles (Move, Rotate, Size and Strech) by using your middle mouse whell on your mouse.

In single Camera View you can use a combination of the t and y shortcut keys.

Under the transform using the left mouse button will move your camera left and right and forward and backward. Using the right mouse button will move your camera up and down

Under the Rotate using the left mouse button will rotate your camera left, right, up and down. Using the right mouse button will tilt your camera (bank) left or right

Here are some videos showing you how you navigate the interface

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/category/beginner/

Out of all these options I would suggest you use the perspective viewport, You can use the
(move, roate and zoom) button at the top right corner of the viewport or you can use the
keyboard shortcuts too.

Alt Left Mouse button will rotate the viewport around
Alt Right Mouse button will bank or tilt the viewport
Shift Alt Left mouse button will pan the viewport (left right, back, forward)
Shift Alt Right Mouse button will pan the viewport (Up and Down
Ctrl Alt Left Mouse Button will Zoom the viewport in and out
Ctrl Alt Right Mouse Button will Zoom the viewport in and out as well

Once you have the perspective view the way you want it then select your camear and then go up to the shading mode dropdown (Textured Shaded Solid, Wireframe etc) and click on the little down arrow next to that, Click on Match Perspective to selected Camera or to a New Camera. Now you have the Camera exactly where you want it.

The SDK for the newest build of lightwave 2015 now has FibreFx Support. I know the latest Octane Renderer can be used with FibreFX not sure about the Maxwell render. Who ever made the maxwell render plugin for lightwave should be able to support FibreFX now.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
Jason

3D Kiwi
04-20-2015, 09:09 PM
jboudreau it think it is great you spent so much time helping him out. But with that blue font i think you just made him blind lol

jboudreau
04-20-2015, 09:15 PM
jboudreau it think it is great you spent so much time helping him out. But with that blue font i think you just made him blind lol

haha, yeah I noticed it's really blinding when you are not logged in, It's fine when you are logged in. I'll change it

Thanks
Jason

seghier
04-21-2015, 04:27 AM
Thank you very much jboudreau for your responses and explanation and your time
i will answer your questions after few hours
many thanks again :)
i remember when i used blender at the first time i didn't like it and i never understand how they can create anything with it but after weeks of using it i understand alot of commands and i like it
i feel the same with lightwave ; what i hate at this time is alot of crachses ; i will post some tests in new thread

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Thank you very much jboudreau for your responses and explanation and your time
i will answer your questions after few hours
many thanks again :)
i remember when i used blender at the first time i didn't like it and i never understand how they can create anything with it but after weeks of using it i understand alot of commands and i like it
i feel the same with lightwave ; what i hate at this time is alot of crachses ; i will post some tests in new thread

No problem, Glad I could help

haha yeah I remember the same thing. I tried blender a few years ago and just couldn't get my head around the interface, never opened it since. I'll probably give it another go sometime in the near future since it has
a lot of great features and tools.

Most of the time there are crashes in lightwave because you are using a tool the way it wasn't meant to be used. Once you are more farmiliar how lightwave works the crashes will start being less and less. Believe me there are crashes in all 3D software not just lightwave. I can most of the times use lightwave all day without a single crash. It's best if you get a crash see if you can reproduce the crash and if so post it on the forum so others can test it. If they can reproduce the same crash then it's probably a bug that you can report to the LW3DG.

Thanks
Jason

jeric_synergy
04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Most of the time there are crashes in lightwave because you are using a tool the way it wasn't meant to be used.
I'm sorry, but while this may be true, this is too much excusing bad programming. It should NOT BE POSSIBLE to crash an application thru its interface.

Just as you should not be able to, ohhh, blow up tubes in an amplifier just because you hit the wrong switches in the wrong order-- and that's with RW physics*--- programmers should take whatever precautions are necessary (input filtering, RAM management) to prevent their code from crashing. It may not WORK, but it definitely shouldn't crash the application.

If a user is using a tool in a "way it wasn't meant to be used", the tool should DETECT that and throw an error message.

*It's SOFTWARE, they're not dealing with RW electrons and amps and whatnot.

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm sorry, but while this may be true, this is too much apologizing for bad programming. It should NOT BE POSSIBLE to crash an application thru its interface.

Just as you should not be able to, ohhh, blow up tubes in an amplifier just because you hit the wrong switches in the wrong order-- and that's with RW physics*--- programmers should take whatever precautions are necessary (input filtering, RAM management) to prevent their code from crashing. It may not WORK, but it definitely shouldn't crash the application.

*It's SOFTWARE, they're not dealing with RW electrons and amps and whatnot.

I definitely agree but it's not just lightwave that has this problem. Lots of 3D softwaer and software in general has this, Because of time, lazy programming etc. I've tried to use tools in Modo and because I used it the wrong way or pressed the wrong button the program just crashed. It happens a lot. I'm not a professional programmer by any means but I played around with programming some scripts and the way I think about it, is like this. How is the software going to know every different possible way how a user is going to use it's tool if it's not being used the way it was designed for. How can it catch an error and then throw out an error message if it doesn't know about the error in the first place. Yes the programmer should look at every different scenario his tool could be used but that's not an easy task since there are so many ways things can be done.

Thanks
Jason

Dan Ritchie
04-21-2015, 03:41 PM
You know, computers are complex.

seghier
04-21-2015, 04:40 PM
thanks all
thanks again jboudreau for your help :) ; i save your reply to read it when i use lightwave and will apply all tips
i have now 2015 version ; i think they fix all the bugs in 11.6.3 version ; i will try it

seghier
04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
to move camera i use 3dconnexion ; it's better than using the mouse or wacom

jwiede
04-22-2015, 06:21 PM
- there is no guide for shortcuts with explanation ; and i hope when they explain think about beginners who use the software for the first timeYou can get and set all the keyboard shortcuts by doing the following Choose Edit, then Edit Keyboard shortcuts button. Here you will see all the tools and their assigned shortcut. You can change them if you want. Also on most of the tools in the interface the keyboard shortcut is on the right side of the button.
Nice, but doesn't really provide what the OP requested, which was a reference to available keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard editor is a _horrible_ reference to assigned shortcuts, unfortunately.

It IS kind of disappointing that LW doesn't include some form of "Default Keyboard Shortcuts Quick Reference", or even better, an (editable?) keyboard template designed for printout, as such references are quite important for helping new users get accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts.

LW3DG should consider partnering with ShortcutFoo! (https://www.shortcutfoo.com/) to create "dojos" for both Layout and Modeler (ideally in either default or StudioProduction configs).

Another option increasingly available in complex software is a system which notes the user's GUI actions and lets them know if there is a keyboard shortcut to make accessing the tool or whatever easier. Both Windows and Mac also have software pkgs which install such instructional framework services for system-wide usage (I can't recall the equivalent Win software pkg, but KeyCue is one for Mac). Perhaps LW3DG could offer them "Official Annotated Modeler and Layout configs" to distribute?