PDA

View Full Version : Annoyances I have in LW2015

Snosrap
04-20-2015, 07:41 AM
I hate that it automatically creates an "Additional" tab every time you add a plugin. Any way around this?

Every4thPixel
04-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Oh I noticed multiple additional tabs to... Is that when the appear.
What I hate about LW2015 is that if you copy/past mesh in modeler it selects the original mesh again not the pasted mesh like it used to be before 2015. I find this really annoying.

Sanchon
04-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Because copy command was replaced by copy edges and you have three paste command versions. You can change these commands in configuration panel so it will works as it was in the previous versions.

prometheus
04-20-2015, 08:47 AM
What I hate about LW2015 is that if you copy/past mesh in modeler it selects the original mesh again not the pasted mesh like it used to be before 2015. I find this really annoying.

So they went back to before they introduced paste mesh and select it, In older versions I think it is the way it worked.?

Edited...uhm...nope, when I try the 2015 discovery edition, if I copy a mesh and then move the original then paste, it will paste the mesh to the original position from where it was copied ..but it will select that new mesh, so it seems to work just as it does in lw 11.6

Michael

MarcusM
04-20-2015, 08:51 AM
I hate when i check for update in Layout and there is nothing ;]

ernesttx
04-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Try checking for a Chronosculpt update LOL

Every4thPixel
04-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Because copy command was replaced by copy edges and you have three paste command versions. You can change these commands in configuration panel so it will works as it was in the previous versions.

In what configuration panel? I can't find it.

Sanchon
04-20-2015, 08:54 AM
I hate when i check for update in Layout and there is nothing ;] I too. This is the most frustated feature, button in LightWave menu.

Sanchon
04-20-2015, 08:56 AM
In what configuration panel? I can't find it.

Edit-edit keyboard shortcuts or alt+F9. Type "paste" or "copy" in the search box and reconfigure shortcuts.

jboudreau
04-20-2015, 08:28 PM

It selects the pasted mesh here in lightwave 2015.2

Thanks,
Jason

Sensei
04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
I too. This is the most frustated feature, button in LightWave menu.

But it should not be button, but all the time running thread checking automatically every f.e. 1 hour for updates and informing when they're available..

Every4thPixel
04-21-2015, 02:44 AM
It selects the pasted mesh here in lightwave 2015.2

Thanks,
Jason

Whoops What I meant was it should keep the old selection not select the pasted mesh. My bad..

prometheus
04-21-2015, 04:30 AM
Whoops What I meant was it should keep the old selection not select the pasted mesh. My bad..

I prefer it the otherway around ...as it is in 11.6 and in 2015.

Every4thPixel
04-21-2015, 05:13 AM
I prefer it the otherway around ...as it is in 11.6 and in 2015.

it's not the same in 11.6 and 2015. in 11.6 you keep your original selection in 2015 it selects the newly pasted mesh or are you saying they changed it in 2015.2?

Lewis
04-21-2015, 05:32 AM
it's not the same in 11.6 and 2015. in 11.6 you keep your original selection in 2015 it selects the newly pasted mesh or are you saying they changed it in 2015.2?

Only if you didn't clean configs/shortcuts in your 11.x installation but prometheus is right 'coz by default is Same in 11.6/2015.x and we have both ways still available so you can change it to you preferred way. There is "paste" and "paste new" (and paste tool but that's third option) so you can go back to old way if you wish.

New way is much better in cases hen you copy just part of mesh and not complete mesh/connected geometry, previously you'd have to paste into new layer because otherwise you can't select overlapped pasted polys if they occupy same location as your underneath geometry.

Every4thPixel
04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Well.. I always start with fresh config files in a new LW. But if I understand correctly I need to swap the keyboard short cuts with a different copy past tool?

Lewis
04-21-2015, 06:00 AM
Well.. I always start with fresh config files in a new LW. But if I understand correctly I need to swap the keyboard short cuts with a different copy past tool?

Yes.

swap/edit the key shortcuts for these two tools (screengrab)

Every4thPixel
04-21-2015, 06:05 AM
You made my day Lewis! Thanks! :D

joseba
04-21-2015, 06:50 AM
I do not like the new camera selection workflow. Now you need to select the camera and also select it in the viewer.

Lewis
04-21-2015, 06:53 AM
I do not like the new camera selection workflow. Now you need to select the camera and also select it in the viewer.

Keep it in "current camera" mode and it'll change view automatically as before. If you change it manually once then you have to do it manually again since now we can have multiple/different cameras on every window.

joseba
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Yes, but what if i want "current camera" again? this is annoying.

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 07:47 AM
I hate that it automatically creates an "Additional" tab every time you add a plugin. Any way around this?

I actually like the new additional tab that's created becaue most of the time when you install plugins they don't have a menu branch.cfg file that you can import. So with the old way all the tools for that one plugin would get thrown into the additional drop down list, You would then have to search through and find all those tools associated with that plugin, Create a new menu tab and drag each tool under the new tab.

With the new additional tab all the toos for that plugin go directly under that so all you have to do is just rename the additioinal tab to a different name.

For example the TruArt Modelling pack for example has a ton of tools (plugins) 50+ but no importable menu config file. Before you would have to go into the menu layout and find each tool and drag it over
to the new group you created. Now you just have to rename the additional Tab to TruArt and everything is there. I love this new feature saves a lot of time especially when installing and testing a lot of plugins

Thanks
Jason

Nicolas Jordan
04-21-2015, 08:10 AM

I agree! I find it very annoying and confusing.

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 08:12 AM
I think I know what Joseba and Nicolas are talking about and I'm pretty sure it's a BUG!

Say you had a scenario like the image below, For some reason if you select the camera using the current item selection drop down at the bottom of the interface it changes the viewport camera when it should just be selecting the appropriate camera.

Workaround Fix:

If you select the camera using the Scene Editor or the Current Item Panel (Little button next to the current item drop down list) Then it selects just the camera. Now you can move just the camera you selected without the viewport camera changing.

Give it a try you will see what I mean. Definitely a bug

Thanks
Jason

Lewis
04-21-2015, 08:25 AM

That is a BUG (or wrong design) but if you work as before that feature ws added it'll work same in 11.6 and before :).

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 08:27 AM
I just fog bugged what I found above and was just told that it has been fixed in the internal build so it should be fixed in the next update. I'm not sure if this will
fix the current camera issue, maybe a little more explanation regarding this would help.

Hope this helps
Jason

jboudreau
04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Only if you didn't clean configs/shortcuts in your 11.x installation but prometheus is right 'coz by default is Same in 11.6/2015.x and we have both ways still available so you can change it to you preferred way. There is "paste" and "paste new" (and paste tool but that's third option) so you can go back to old way if you wish.

New way is much better in cases hen you copy just part of mesh and not complete mesh/connected geometry, previously you'd have to paste into new layer because otherwise you can't select overlapped pasted polys if they occupy same location as your underneath geometry.

Hi Guys

I'm a bit confused here regarding the paste, paste new. I dont' see a difference here so I'm not sure if I'm using them the wrong way. Can someoen explain in step form how to use these tools and what's the diffrence?

I understand the copy and then when you paste over the top it selectes what was pasted which is a great feature becausue now you don't have to paste into a sepearate layer. But paste new is doing the same thing so I don't see the difference here.

EDIT:

Never mind I figured it out. I didn't know the actual paste under edit menu was actually the paste new and not pasted so I just kept using the same tool. I just found the old paste, understand what the difference is now.

Rather the Paste new over the old paste, but it's great that we have both options if need be.

Thanks,
Jason

prometheus
04-21-2015, 12:36 PM

uhmmm..I can see this going in to misunderstanding, I thought it was you saying it changed in 2015...
2015.2? havent installed that update if there is....just 2015 when it first came out....
And..11.6.3 cut and paste is exactly the same as in my 2015..and that means in both 11.6.3 and 2015 it pastes the copied version and selects it, I can see that because if I copy a mesh...without pasting..then move the original mesh to another location and then paste..it will paste the copied original to the exact location where I copied the mesh from the original...do You get it:D

to sum it up..it selects the newly pasted mesh in 11.6 too..so no difference on my side, how you end up with it select the original I donīt know...but maybe it changed between 11.6.2 and 11.6.3 and you are using 11.6.2?

I could do a recheck since I got both 11.6.2 and 11.6.3 still installed.

prometheus
04-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Recheck feedback...I just tested lightwave 11.6.2 and 11.63 and 2015, they are all behaving the same when copy and pasting a flat poly, it pastes the copy in the exact location as it was copied from with it highlight selected, you can see this by moving your original object to the side before pasting.

spherical
04-21-2015, 03:23 PM
2015.2 works exactly the same way. The same way all versions that I have used back to 8.5 have. What I don't get is, who cares? What real difference does it make if the pasted version is selected or not. They're identical, so do whatever you want with it.

lertola2
04-21-2015, 04:04 PM
2015.2 works exactly the same way. The same way all versions that I have used back to 8.5 have. What I don't get is, who cares? What real difference does it make if the pasted version is selected or not. They're identical, so do whatever you want with it.

Not necessarily true. You can copy. Make changes to your model then paste. In that case it makes a big difference which is selected after the paste.

MSherak
04-21-2015, 04:25 PM

If you place an Additional layer within a branch the new addons will go there instead of creating a new tab. Will also add divisions for you between the new ones.

Not necessarily true. You can copy. Make changes to your model then paste. In that case it makes a big difference which is selected after the paste.

Yup

lightscape
04-21-2015, 08:00 PM

People that work fast would care. :D
They're not identical from lw 8.5, 9, 10. You didn't update kb shortcuts since then?
Ask Lewis for a demo how the old copy paste blows compared to the new way.

Snosrap
04-21-2015, 09:32 PM
If you place an Additional layer within a branch the new addons will go there instead of creating a new tab. Will also add divisions for you between the new ones. Thanks - I'll give that a go.

Photogram
04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
The copy new is better in my opinion.

When we copy a model without selecting all geometry and then paste it, the new model will paste directly over the first one. At this moment it is very difficult to select the second one because they are exactly a the same place so you select two models at the same time, arrrghhh!!!

I think the major advantage with the paste new is if you need to copy a very big model, now we don't need to take time to select all geometry before copy/paste...

spherical
04-22-2015, 01:53 AM

Uhhh. That which is in the buffer is the copied mesh. It is the only thing that Paste knows about and that can be reliably identified with any certainty. Just how far off from the original copied mesh do you think that changes could be made for that now-unrecognizable mesh to be selected again?

People that work fast would care.
You saying I'm slow?

I'm not going to bother going back and trying them all to prove anything,to you or to myself. Copy/Paste has always worked for me in the way that I expect and can get things done quickly reliably; with no issues whatsoever. Which mesh is re-selected is a non-issue, for the reasons stated above.

Lewis
04-22-2015, 02:05 AM
Copy/Paste has always worked for me in the way that I expect and can get things done quickly reliably; with no issues whatsoever. Which mesh is re-selected is a non-issue, for the reasons stated above.

If it works for you that's great, but simply stating it's same from 8.5-> is simply not true and that's the only thing in your reply that is debatable. Paste new works different than old paste and it has it's pros and cons. I didn't like it at first but after some usage in couple of days i keep it as default shortcut since i have more pros than cons comparing to old paste which then I moved to different shortcut.

Best thing is that we have both options available so everyone can choose/decide on it's own.

cheers

lightscape
04-22-2015, 03:51 AM
You saying I'm slow?

I'm not going to bother going back and trying them all to prove anything,to you or to myself. Copy/Paste has always worked for me in the way that I expect and can get things done quickly reliably; with no issues whatsoever. Which mesh is re-selected is a non-issue, for the reasons stated above.

I'm saying I'm fast. Faster than using the old copy paste which I replaced with cp_fixedcopypaste prior to lw 11.
Don't know if you're slow.That's not my problem. :D
The old copy paste I would have to paste to a new layer because if I pasted on the same layer the selection was welded to the whole mesh because it actually didn't select the pasted polys after pasting. That's pretty useless and slow. That's how I remember it in lw 8. I've been using cp_fixedcopypaste for a long time I could be wrong but I only stopped using that script after newtek updated copy paste.

Danner
04-22-2015, 04:12 AM
I've used ef_duplicate for ages instead of copy paste, it is a copy + newpaste into one button. It gives an error if you have hidden geometry so I'll have to string copy + newpaste into a single command to replace it.

Danner
04-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Ok here it is, a duplicate command in Modeler. Just save this code as a text file with .ls extension. Then add it as a plugin and bind it to a key =)

@script modeler
@name DuplicateNew

main
{
selmode(USER); // user selection

copy(); // run copy command

cmdseq("PasteNew"); // run paste new

}

prometheus
04-22-2015, 05:02 AM

One situation where I think I rarther care to have it just as it is now, I select a poly on some geometry and copy it and then paste it, then when directly using thicken, I will get an (extracted) form overlapping the original geometry..this will be a faster workflow when doing such things rather than copy and paste and then having to select the newly pasted mesh with select connected and then use thicken.
So it depends on..might seem trivial, but if you work in such manners it matters.

Think of modeling a wrist belt..and it will be more efficient I think to have lightwave select the area around the wrist, copy it and paste it..and not select the original polys on the wrist, it should select the pasted one for easy direct thicken in one go.
What you gain is..
1. you donīt have to drop the original selection
2. you donīt have to select the mesh you are about to edit with thicken.
Tiny seconds of workflow speedup that might help a lot for a fluid workflow when modeling.

Michael

Danner
04-22-2015, 05:36 AM
That is the point, those tiny seconds make your tasks less of a drag. The .ls I posted is quite versatile as far as workflow is concerned, you can have the move tool (or any transform tool) selected and run it, the move tool remains active so you hit the duplicate key, move new geometry with the mouse, duplicate again, move it with the mouse.. It's a fast way of cloning and positioning stuff. (kind of like the old "paste tool" but integrated with all the LW tools)

prometheus
04-23-2015, 03:02 AM
That is the point, those tiny seconds make your tasks less of a drag. The .ls I posted is quite versatile as far as workflow is concerned, you can have the move tool (or any transform tool) selected and run it, the move tool remains active so you hit the duplicate key, move new geometry with the mouse, duplicate again, move it with the mouse.. It's a fast way of cloning and positioning stuff. (kind of like the old "paste tool" but integrated with all the LW tools)

Just to clarify, lightwave works that way for me as I described above...since at least 11.6.2

Matt
04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Bug, and has been fixed.

Snosrap
04-23-2015, 11:10 AM
"Annoyances" - yeah probably more appropriate. :)

spherical
04-23-2015, 03:05 PM
If it works for you that's great, but simply stating it's same from 8.5-> is simply not true and that's the only thing in your reply that is debatable.
Yeah, that's why I said that I'm not going to bother with taking the time to go back and open every version and try it just to refresh my memory. :D I'm glad that you agree with everything else and, well, it's good to know that we have so many paste options now. Never liked being forced into only one solution, as there are so many perturbations of workflow that one encounters in a day.

spherical
04-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Think of modeling a wrist belt..and it will be more efficient I think to have lightwave select the area around the wrist, copy it and paste it..and not select the original polys on the wrist, it should select the pasted one for easy direct thicken in one go.
What you gain is..
1. you donīt have to drop the original selection
2. you donīt have to select the mesh you are about to edit with thicken.
Tiny seconds of workflow speedup that might help a lot for a fluid workflow when modeling.

Exactly. I can't think of a situation where I wanted the original mesh selected. And, if for some reason, I do want the original mesh, I hit "t" after the paste and move the pasted version off to the side. If I want many copies, I do the same and "rubber stamp" paste them all over the place. Nice tip on the Thicken-In-Place OP, BTW.

lightscape
04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Ok here it is, a duplicate command in Modeler. Just save this code as a text file with .ls extension. Then add it as a plugin and bind it to a key =)

@script modeler
@name DuplicateNew

main
{
selmode(USER); // user selection

copy(); // run copy command

cmdseq("PasteNew"); // run paste new

}

Yep this is similar to the cp_fixedcopypaste.ls that I used since pre lw 11.
And this one is actually working with lw 11 without the odd layer bug in lw 11.