PDA

View Full Version : Open ended question: which dropped feature would you like to see come BACK?

jeric_synergy
04-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Here's an annoying open ended question:

Which dropped LW/LWM feature would you like to see re-introduced back into the native tools?

1) I miss the little Surface sample balls where you could dble-click to back up through Surface experiments. That was simple and intuitive.

2) I never actually tried it, due to the negative buzz it generated, but I always thought SOCK-MONKEY showed some promise. IIRC it would have been the lattice deformer we've all been whinging for (now met by 3rd Powers thankyouverymuch :bowdown: ).

vonpietro
04-17-2015, 10:34 PM
steamer!!

danielkaiser
04-18-2015, 12:50 AM
Lens Cap!

shrox
04-18-2015, 01:12 AM
"Make shiny flying logo for big bucks" button.

meshpig
04-18-2015, 02:26 AM
What did Sock Monkey do again?

jeric_synergy
04-18-2015, 03:35 AM
steamer!!
Seriously? I'm really asking here. What did it do better?

Sock monkey: if I understood it, was a sort of Low-rez to hi-rez deformer. Unfortunately, it seemed to be so buggy it never caught on.

RebelHill
04-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Nope... sock monkey is just a deformer, much like bones, except that you can use any item type as the deformer. It was updated in 11.6 to act after bones, making it a useful tool for doing secondary deformation/shaping.

erikals
04-18-2015, 04:55 AM
steamer!!

it actually had another option for blending, which has been requested for HyperVoxels a few times...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMTm3bh0DY

hrgiger
04-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Not sure about any LW feature but I do wish that both Sasquatch and Shave were still being developed for LightWave to offer an alternative toFiberfx.

SteveH
04-18-2015, 09:02 AM
I vote for Eagle in a Barrel to come back!

vonpietro
04-18-2015, 09:03 AM
I USED steamer for gunshot smoke on an independent film so many years ago, and it was perfect for that.

why did they remove it, instead of just leaving it available to use(even if unsupported, it was useful!!)?

prometheus
04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Here´s a funny statement..

Steamer and hypervoxels doubler as erikals mentioned...why is that funny? well...haven´t used it :) but I know they desperatly need to do something seriously about the blending mode, the introduction of blending between hypervoxels in volume mode..that isn´t working as it could and should in my opinion, it should work as it does in luxology´s modo voxels blending or the old lightwave plugin dynamite blending, though the dynamite blending was slow, modo blends faster..and they probably had the upperhand by taking advantages of those who originally wrote the hypervoxels for lightwave.

The underlying volumetric handler seem to be capable of it, but at what cost..they need to figure out how make it decently fast, doubler I believe was rumoured to be a bit slow, dynamite blending was a bit slow too, that isn´t the case with modo voxels though...but it may be a completly different engine of course.

I might be completly wrong about doubler being something equal to blending between two voxels though.

Michael

prometheus
04-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Sock monkey: if I understood it, was a sort of Low-rez to hi-rez deformer. Unfortunately, it seemed to be so buggy it never caught on.

Do a search for steamer and lightwave on google images, and something might be cooking up :D

jasonwestmas
04-18-2015, 11:23 AM
I want shave back in lightwave. . . of course you need a nice hair shader to support it. I think with Xgen stealing a little bit of the thunder for Joe, he might consider other alternatives but I doubt it. I doubt it mainly because his company is having a hard time keeping up with all the renderers he supports.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2015, 01:52 PM
You can use Iain_r's "Create" (??) lscript to generate ANY given 'primitive', including EagleInABarrel.

I used it, for example, to replicate Blender's 'monkey' primitive.

Dan Ritchie
04-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Wiggle view!

Haha, ok, it doesn't need a comeback, but it was cool!

jeric_synergy
04-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Wiggle view!
Haha, ok, it doesn't need a comeback, but it was cool!
You mean the oscillating view in LWM? I would be happy to have that as an option.

ncr100
04-20-2015, 11:38 PM

CORE. (ncr100, banned!)

Julez4001
04-22-2015, 05:26 AM
it actually had another option for blending, which has been requested for HyperVoxels a few times...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMTm3bh0DY

MAn I miss Steamer especially since ypervoxel development has stopped for 10 years.
Didn't know that newtek didn't have access to the original programmers.
So that means Modo will probably have a better solution before we do.
That put so much in perspective.

I did love that Steamer look in the video, did you just render it with a old lightwave?

erikals
04-22-2015, 05:53 AM
I did love that Steamer look in the video, did you just render it with a old lightwave?
no, this is just an old video i found on the LightWave 5.6 CD i believe...

and nope, the old steamer plugin does not run in LightWave 11

closest match we have is 32bit Ogo Taiki...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg8w8AVzsO8

motivalex
04-22-2015, 12:53 PM
MAn I miss Steamer especially since ypervoxel development has stopped for 10 years.
Didn't know that newtek didn't have access to the original programmers.
So that means Modo will probably have a better solution before we do.
That put so much in perspective.

Modo already has a better solution. I believe they have the original Hypervoxel programmer working for them or at least did.

MSherak
04-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Modo already has a better solution. I believe they have the original Hypervoxel programmer working for them or at least did.

Yes, Gregory works with the Modo crew. Left when Allen, Stuart and Brad did. He wrote Steamer, HV and the Skytracers. Hence why you have not seen that many updates to the current versions since volumetrics are not easy to do and takes a full time person to get them in place.

Not a native tools but want: (and reasonably priced)

Ogo_Takii - 64bit
Dynamic Realities - 64bit Napalm, Nature FX, Pyro, ParticleStorm, Impact
Can Tarcan - Dynamite Pro
Evasion3D - 64bit MeshPaint, Microwave, Shadow Designer, Spectrum, X-Dof, Hypersmooth
Happy Digital - HDinstance

-M

jwiede
04-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Not a native tools but want: (and reasonably priced)
Happy Digital - HDinstance

Is it that you want more of HDI's features in the native instancing, or you'd rather see LW3DG integrate HDI rather than continue pursuing their own solution? The latter seems unlikely at this point, but I agree there are still at least a few features from HDI which LW's own instancer still handles poorly, if at all. Bit of a shame that Fyffe basically stopped HDI development, I still prefer HDI's UX/workflows over native LW instancing's UX/workflows for many tasks.