PDA

View Full Version : Separate UI scheme for Layout and Modeler?

haroldini
04-17-2015, 11:15 AM
I just think it would help quickly discern which floating window belonged to which program. I know there's a way to adjust the UI colors, but it seems when I make a change in one, it changes in the other as well.

jeric_synergy
04-17-2015, 12:31 PM
+1 : I especially trip on this issue when using the Surface Editor: many's the time I've clicked on the LWM SE instead of the Layout SE, hilarity ensues.

Just giving the title bars different (optional) colors would probably be enough to separate the two apps.

spherical
04-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Well, if you do not use the preferences panels to change colors and, instead, take the time to develop two different color schemes using the Interactive GUI Color Tool (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10), you can save them out as two different versions, then paste the lines for each version into the application of choice's config file and have immediate clue as to which application has focus. I happen to keep them identical but, then, I use the alternate monitor window/panel arrangement scheme that seems to have gone unnoticed by the OP and Jeric. :D

erikals
04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
is it happening to the background only? if so, maybe this tip can help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNgpWeTEr4

jeric_synergy
04-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Well, if you do not use the preferences panels to change colors and, instead, ....
TL: DR
>|^P'''''''

More seriously: I have 2 monitors but I don't like to evenly split the apps. I prefer one monitor to be directly in front of me. So, alternating monitors not a solution here.

I am surprised that the color configs are independent-- my misunderstanding was that LW/LWM always shared the same color settings.

MonroePoteet
04-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I was going to suggest this in Haroldini's original thread: I use the shortcut keys to raise and lower the floating panels. F5 for Surfaces, "n" for Numeric, "m" for Motion, F6 for Images, etc. For the few panels which I use a lot that don't have a pre-defined shortcut key (e.g. the LWCAD UCS panel), I define one using Edit => Edit Keyboard Shortcuts. I have a two-monitor setup, but I hardly ever use it since I can use F4 to split the Layout screen and arrange the "live" floating panels on the right, then drop them and F3 to go single-pane on Layout again.

Not a method that would be suitable for everyone, but it works for me.

mTp

spherical
04-17-2015, 07:08 PM
More seriously: I have 2 monitors but I don't like to evenly split the apps. I prefer one monitor to be directly in front of me. So, alternating monitors not a solution here.

To each his own. I find that a slight shift to either side of center to not be an issue at all. Having one monitor dead center and a second way off to one side is awkward to me. I turn my head far less with the former than with the latter and the turning is equal in both directions. Way easier on the neck muscles. If I am on one monitor for an extended period, my chair swivel takes care of that in case I need a change of position.

I am surprised that the color configs are independent-- my misunderstanding was that LW/LWM always shared the same color settings.

Nope. The settings are stored in the discreet application configs. Used to be that they were stored in the Hub config. Not anymore.

haroldini
04-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Well, if you do not use the preferences panels to change colors and, instead, take the time to develop two different color schemes using the Interactive GUI Color Tool (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10), you can save them out as two different versions, then paste the lines for each version into the application of choice's config file and have immediate clue as to which application has focus. I happen to keep them identical but, then, I use the alternate monitor window/panel arrangement scheme that seems to have gone unnoticed by the OP and Jeric. :D

sweet i'll check out the gui tool when i get a chance.

my multi monitor setups (triple at work, portrait/landscape at home) don't lend themselves to that style of window management, otherwise that would be a good method of working.

----------

I was going to suggest this in Haroldini's original thread: I use the shortcut keys to raise and lower the floating panels. F5 for Surfaces, "n" for Numeric, "m" for Motion, F6 for Images, etc. For the few panels which I use a lot that don't have a pre-defined shortcut key (e.g. the LWCAD UCS panel), I define one using Edit => Edit Keyboard Shortcuts. I have a two-monitor setup, but I hardly ever use it since I can use F4 to split the Layout screen and arrange the "live" floating panels on the right, then drop them and F3 to go single-pane on Layout again.

Not a method that would be suitable for everyone, but it works for me.

mTp

i use shortcuts to open/close floating windows, but possibly because i'm not super adept yet, i tend to keep them open. i might try out the layout method you mentioned.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2015, 03:36 AM
Nope. The settings are stored in the discreet application configs. Used to be that they were stored in the Hub config. Not anymore.
I 'know' too many old obsolete things. :(

spherical
04-18-2015, 03:42 AM
my multi monitor setups (triple at work, portrait/landscape at home) don't lend themselves to that style of window management, otherwise that would be a good method of working.

Then you need to change your multi-monitor set ups and embrace/enjoy a good method of working. :D
Get a third portrait monitor for home. (They're cheap; especially considering the trouble involved up to this point.)
Put both Layout and Modeler main application windows on the landscape center.
Put Layout panels on Left. Put Modeler panels on right.

jwiede
04-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Then you need to change your multi-monitor set ups and embrace/enjoy a good method of working. :D
Get a third portrait monitor for home. (They're cheap; especially considering the trouble involved up to this point.)
Put both Layout and Modeler main application windows on the landscape center.
Put Layout panels on Left. Put Modeler panels on right.

How is your second suggestion different from your initial suggestion? ;)

spherical
04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
First suggestion is only two monitors, not three. With three, both main application windows are on the center monitor, not alternated between the only two available. Seems that no matter how many times I describe the two-monitor set up, and how well it works, only a few get it.

jwiede
04-23-2015, 06:41 PM
First suggestion is only two monitors, not three. With three, both main application windows are on the center monitor, not alternated between the only two available. Seems that no matter how many times I describe the two-monitor set up, and how well it works, only a few get it.

Not what I meant. You joked "Then you need to change your multi-monitor set ups and embrace/enjoy a good method of working" but then seriously suggested they add a monitor ("change their multi-monitor setup"), and change how they interact with the app panels, Layout to left, Modeler to right ("embrace/enjoy a good method of working"). There, any clearer?

As to your proposed L/R "equal monitors" approach: While it might work well for LW, most other apps' windows/dialogs are typically split in a more "main & ancillary" manner, and that means keeping head slightly turned towards "main" screen too much -- center/off-center layout is better ergonomically for such cases. Unless the user primarily (and near exclusively) works in LW, your approach doesn't seem intrinsically "better" than center/off-center approach.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2015, 10:59 PM
, and how well it works,....
For YOU. Fixed it for you.

spherical
04-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Wow, such pushback. :) Seems to be the day for it. Must be something in the water.

Ok, let me elucidate... The two monitor approach, combined with the already cited high technology of a chair swivel, allows me to place whatever applications I like on which ever monitor I want as Primary. Then, the opposite monitor is off to one side or the other IF I am focusing on only one application for a protracted amount of time. In the case of LightWave, or any other situation where I am using two applications in conjunction with each other in a workflow, having them on alternate monitors to each other allows for a more balanced ergonomics. I center my posture between the monitors and merely glance to either side as the bouncing back and forth ensues. Whatever....

As for the three monitor approach, the OP complained that he had two in one location and three in another. The suggestion was a solution to that inequity, such that the environment could be the same in both situations for a cost less than the trouble already experienced.

haroldini
05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

back to the separate UI scheme dealio...

spherical, i managed to finally mess around with the GUI tool, but there appears to be only one config file for both layout and modeler. am i missing something?

spherical
05-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Yes. You generate one style for one application and save it. Generate a different style for the other application and save that in a different filename. Then, paste the lines for the respective applications into their individual config files and enjoy the scenery. :D

jwiede
05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Anyone know who implemented the "Interactive GUI Color Tool"?

Seems like time to update it so that it can save separate Modeler and Layout prefs. Users cutting-and-pasting lines to/from their configs isn't exactly the most stable or reliable approach in the world.

spherical
05-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Have been doing it ever since it came out with zero issues, across multiple LW versions. In earlier versions, the lines get pasted into the Hub config (they are always pasted in--it doesn't put them there on its own, BTW), but starting with 11x, they get pasted into the Layout and Modeler configs, not the Hub config.

I saved a bookmark, as I answer questions about it often:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?115493-Interactive-GUI-Color-Tool-for-LW10

BokadCastle
05-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Anyone know who implemented the "Interactive GUI Color Tool"?

Dee?

just noticed...already answered.

haroldini
05-29-2015, 09:06 AM
Yes. You generate one style for one application and save it. Generate a different style for the other application and save that in a different filename. Then, paste the lines for the respective applications into their individual config files and enjoy the scenery. :D

I was more specifically asking about where are the config files. There doesn't seem to be any in my C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave_2015.2\ and as far as I can tell, there aren't separate config files in my C:\Users\<user>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\ (attached is a picture of the folder).

spherical
05-30-2015, 05:25 PM
LWxxxxxx.cfg is Layout
LWMxxxxxx.cfg is Modeler
LWHUBxxxxxx.cfg is Hub

haroldini
06-01-2015, 08:56 AM
LWxxxxxx.cfg is Layout
LWMxxxxxx.cfg is Modeler
LWHUBxxxxxx.cfg is Hub

thanks. if i get a chance i'm definitely giving this a go today.