PDA

View Full Version : How to start a clip on 3play - automatically from Tricaster?

stijef
04-16-2015, 06:43 AM
(probably best sub-forum to ask this question)

Maybe you can advise me is there a way how to trigger a clip or playlist on 3play 440 to start playing on "NET1" button is pressed on Tricaster 455 (or Tricaster TC850)? If yes - how exactly?

Is this kind of "autoplay" possible if video feed from 3play is coming through network connection or if video feed is coming as one from BNC inputs?

Thank you a lot! :help:

kanep
04-16-2015, 07:42 PM
You need to be using a TriCaster Mini, 410, 460, 860 or 8000 for the ability to trigger playback of the 3PLAY from the TriCaster. It would also have to be connected to a NET input for it to work on these models.

stijef
07-01-2015, 03:15 PM
You need to be using a TriCaster Mini, 410, 460, 860 or 8000 for the ability to trigger playback of the 3PLAY from the TriCaster. It would also have to be connected to a NET input for it to work on these models.

And may you please explain how to do that? I have tc860 connected with 3play, on same network, but once I go to macros and "add shortcut" on 3play, listening doesn't catch when I press i.e. button "8" on tc control surface. How to trigger macro on 3play from button on TC 860?

Thank you a lot!

kanep
07-01-2015, 08:48 PM
It works a bit differently than that. You need to create some macros that use AirSend commands to make it work.

Here is an example to make a 3PLAY channel connected on NET1 to play at 100% speed.

The "1.0" speed makes it play at 100%. If you wanted 50% speed, then change the value to .5 (or something else between 0 and 1).

If you want to reset the clip to the start, use the following parameters.

Shortcut = net1 (or net2)
Value = clip_play
Key 1 = position
Value 1 = 0
Key 2 = speed
Value 2 = 0

There are also commands to move you to previous and next events, along with storing and recalling events as well. Below is a set of macros you can import that will perform all of these tasks.

SBowie
07-02-2015, 06:51 AM
For added reference, this is all documented in the TriCaster manual. For version 2-4, the discussion begins in section 17.6. Many related shortcuts are also pre-assigned to TriCaster's control surfaces as well, as described in Chapter 22 (look for the word AirSend).

fox56wolf
10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Is there any way to do this when the 3Play is not a network input, but rather an SDI input? I recall older models having GPI/O connectors... too bad they were never supported and have now been removed. With the advancement of macro usage, it would be great to be able to fire a GPO.

<edit> Our 3Play and TriCaster are on the same network, we just don't use the Net In for replay, we use both for graphics channels. Although, now with AD, can't we have 4 net inputs? (TC860AD) </edit>

kanep
10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Is there any way to do this when the 3Play is not a network input, but rather an SDI input? I recall older models having GPI/O connectors... too bad they were never supported and have now been removed. With the advancement of macro usage, it would be great to be able to fire a GPO.

<edit> Our 3Play and TriCaster are on the same network, we just don't use the Net In for replay, we use both for graphics channels. Although, now with AD, can't we have 4 net inputs? (TC860AD) </edit>

They have to be connected via NET input for them to communicate.

GPI is supported on TriCaster Mini, 410, 460, 860, 8000 and 3PLAY 440/4800. You would need a JL Copper eBox on both the TriCaster and 3PLAY to make it work.

4 'NET' inputs are coming later this year. When the NDI network protocol is available, you will be able to bring in 4 or more NDI 'network' sources. If you are running Advanced Edition on your TriCaster, it will be a free upgrade later this year.

fox56wolf
10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
GPI is supported on TriCaster Mini, 410, 460, 860, 8000 and 3PLAY 440/4800. You would need a JL Copper eBox on both the TriCaster and 3PLAY to make it work.
Too bad even the small eBoxes are $800/ea.

4 'NET' inputs are coming later this year. When the NDI network protocol is available, you will be able to bring in 4 or more NDI 'network' sources. If you are running Advanced Edition on your TriCaster, it will be a free upgrade later this year.
Will there be an update for 3Play for NDI?

kanep
10-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Too bad even the small eBoxes are $800/ea.

Will there be an update for 3Play for NDI?

Just wanted you to be aware that GPI is an option.

I don't have details, but my understanding is that 3PLAY and TalkShow will be updated to support NDI.

stijef
11-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Dear Kane, not sure what I'm doing wrong but there is no change once I press "NET1" button on TC860. Seems 3play don't get any impulse by that action (even it 3play 440 and tc860 are connected by net ports) so net1 shortcut I have stored in the macro don't work? Not sure is airSend there and active? Or it is something else - may you please check this photo and video and let me know what I can try to fix it? :help:

video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HxJjGrqWGGN0dVaWhFa28tbnc/view
image:

It works a bit differently than that. You need to create some macros that use AirSend commands to make it work.

Here is an example to make a 3PLAY channel connected on NET1 to play at 100% speed.

The "1.0" speed makes it play at 100%. If you wanted 50% speed, then change the value to .5 (or something else between 0 and 1).

If you want to reset the clip to the start, use the following parameters.

Shortcut = net1 (or net2)
Value = clip_play
Key 1 = position
Value 1 = 0
Key 2 = speed
Value 2 = 0

There are also commands to move you to previous and next events, along with storing and recalling events as well. Below is a set of macros you can import that will perform all of these tasks.

Dear

kanep
11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Are you triggering the macro? I only see NET1 being put on Program, that just selects the source, triggering the macro sends the command to the 3PLAY.

stijef
11-17-2015, 12:54 AM
How to trigger it? Just by assign and press some shortcut on 3play keyboard (like ctrl+1)? I was trying to avoid any influence by 3play operator but to start clip from tricaster, once tricaster operator press button net1 (or net2)?

Are you triggering the macro? I only see NET1 being put on Program, that just selects the source, triggering the macro sends the command to the 3PLAY.

kanep
11-17-2015, 04:09 AM
You will have to create a macro on the TriCaster.

Then edit that macro and put in this information that was listed above.

At the bottom of the macro window is a 'Trigger' field, click on it and it will say Listening.

Now press the keyboard key (or MIDI button or hold down the Macro button on your CS and press another button with it) to assign it to that key.

Now to run the macro, just press that same button (or whatever you set the trigger to) again.

If this isn't making sense, watch this, then come back to the above steps. http://vimeo.com/90129535?TB_iframe=1&width=960&height=540&modal=1

SBowie
11-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Just btw, with AE the 'play' macro could be assigned to the net input, causing it to be triggered automatically whenever that input has tally (likewise for a stop macro).

stijef
11-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Just btw, with AE the 'play' macro could be assigned to the net input, causing it to be triggered automatically whenever that input has tally (likewise for a stop macro).

What is "AE" Steve?

stijef
11-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Kane finally I realized macro should be done on TC not on 3P... however, once I do that like advised - it make play on 3P start playing if I press play button under macro window, but still nothing happens once NET1 button on CS is pressed, even it is set as macro "trigger". Do you see the problem maybe at this short video I made for you and others having similar difficulties - look, everything seems set OK to me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HxJjGrqWGGT19LNmNlRUxGNmM/view?usp=sharing

You will have to create a macro on the TriCaster.

Then edit that macro and put in this information that was listed above.

At the bottom of the macro window is a 'Trigger' field, click on it and it will say Listening.

Now press the keyboard key (or MIDI button or hold down the Macro button on your CS and press another button with it) to assign it to that key.

Now to run the macro, just press that same button (or whatever you set the trigger to) again.

If this isn't making sense, watch this, then come back to the above steps. http://vimeo.com/90129535?TB_iframe=1&width=960&height=540&modal=1

SBowie
11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
TriCaster Advanced Edition.

SBowie
11-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Kane finally I realized macro should be done on TC not on 3P... however, once I do that like advised - it make play on 3P start playing if I press play button under macro window, but still nothing happens once NET1 button on CS is pressed, even it is set as macro "trigger". This is to be expected. Assigning a macro to any button on the CS only triggers the macro when the Macro button is pressed at the same time. And in this case, since Macro is pressed, pressing Net 1 on the CS would trigger the macro, but it would not perform the switch to Net 1. It will do one or the other, but not both.

You could, of course, create a macro that both selects Net 1 on PGM, and also triggers play on 3Play, and assign that to Net 1 (or any other button) - but you'll still need to hold down Macro in that case.

stijef
11-17-2015, 01:19 PM
So no chance, no way, to do that by pressing only one button on CS? Kane even you don't have solution here; is this even too much for your magic wand? :-)

SBowie
11-17-2015, 02:18 PM
What you're really asking for here is an Autoplay on 3Play. This might be interesting posed as a feature request.

stijef
12-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Hi, after some time to bring up this thread. With new TC 860 AE updates, are there this feature available? To make a clip on 3play play on single button press on Tricaster Control Surface? If not, what would be simplest way to make it play... with two buttons maybe? Thanks for your contribution!

SBowie
12-21-2016, 08:08 AM
I believe you can do this with a macro, and that the process is covered in the Automation and Integration Guide.

stijef
12-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I believe you can do this with a macro, and that the process is covered in the Automation and Integration Guide.

Hm can u explain how it could be done? You remember dilema we had in this tooic and conclusion that is impossible to do that with sigle button press?
Now I have advanced edition and wonder if something changes...

kanep
12-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Here is a method that allows you to send commands from the TriCaster with AE2 (maybe AE1?) to a 3PLAY Mini/440/4800 system. This will work if the systems are connected via NDI or SDI. You will need to manually type these commands into the macro editor on your TriCaster (or IP Series!) system.

There is a bit of editing you need to do to make these work. In the first image, I underlined in red parts that need to be changed. The IP address (192.168.1.87) has to be changed to the correct IP address of your 3PLAY system (do this IP change on all command lines, not just the one that is underlined). The '50' value is the playback speed, change this to your desired playback speed.

Here are the commands to play the currently cued clip at 50% speed.
The first command starts playback. If you only do this command you will get 100% speed playback on 3PLAY.
The second command set the playback speed to 50% (or change to any speed you want, you can go faster than 100%)

Here is the command to stop playback of the 3PLAY.
This command will stop playback. Run the command once and it works like a pause, run the command twice and it will reset the clip back to the start. You could put this command in the macro twice with a small delay between them if you just want a single macro that performs a clip reset.

If is possible to send other commands using this method as well, in fact, anything that can be done via macro in 3PLAY can be controlled from the TriCaster using 'http_request'

Just to make is a bit easier, here is a cut and paste for one of those commands shown above.
http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=play&value=true

stijef
12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Thank Kane you are great member of the forum. Very helpfull!

So, using those commands I can have 3play start playing a clip with just one button press?

PIZAZZ
12-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Thank Kane you are great member of the forum. Very helpfull!

So, using those commands I can have 3play start playing a clip with just one button press?

Keep in mind this may not work on older 3Play 425 units. Definitely not on the older antique 330.

It should work on the newer models like the 440 and 4800. Possibly on the 3Play mini but I cannot remember for sure.

SBowie
12-21-2016, 01:41 PM
The A&I Guide provides an example using the AirSend commands to do exactly this, using simple shortcuts in macros. I'm not at work this week, so can't test it to make sure it isn't busted, but if these simple methods aren't working just bug 'em and we'll get it fixed.

kanep
12-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Keep in mind this may not work on older 3Play 425 units. Definitely not on the older antique 330.

It should work on the newer models like the 440 and 4800. Possibly on the 3Play mini but I cannot remember for sure.

This definitely will not work on a 3Play 330/425/820 system.

Basically if your 3Play has macros then it will support this functionally. Again it also requires a TriCaster with AE2 (might work with AE1).

stijef
12-22-2016, 04:01 AM
(my 3play is 440)

I have set macro as you advised, typed url in browser on another computer and it really starts clip on 3play... :)
_but_ another crucial question is - how to set triggering of that macro, with pressing just one button on tricaster 860 AE? Can you print screen how you set it on your system, please?

kanep
12-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Well, you can't do with one button, but two on the control surface. Set a trigger to listen on the macro, then hold down the MACRO button on the CS and press another button along with it. Now to call the macro back, hold down MACRO and press that same button again.

If you set it to a keyboard key, XKeys unit or MIDI panel, then you could have single button access to the macro.

trejk
12-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Actually you can start macro with only one CS button, if you use a little imagination, but there is always some limitations.
If it is okay always to start a clip on 3play when you switch 3play to live, then you can use automation tab of input's (NET 1) configutation and set your macro to activate when NET1 goes to PGM.

With those automation macros you can also use M/E Row A or DSK to activate your macro so there may be a way to use M/E row A keys to activate your macro depending on how you use M/E:s in your setup or FX keys and DSK1 or DKS2 if you do not need both of them in your setup.

stijef
12-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks!

I was looking at A&I guide and can't find command how to start both 3play's A and B outputs by macro. Or how to start one output one then select another and start that one too? How you can do that, can you please explain me? Will appreciate help!

SBowie
12-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Do a quick search for AirSend ...

stijef
12-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Do a quick search for AirSend ...

not sure do I see as real help. As said I was looking through A&I guide for a way how to select another output on 3play from Tricaster, but couldn't figure out how it should be done. After that decided to ask Kane who really helps me, or Juha/trejk or any other forum member willing to help me in this beginner stage, while I am rookie with macros...

SBowie
12-24-2016, 06:07 AM
not sure do I see as real helpNevertheless, it's what I have time for. The section on AirSend is obscure enough to find that I thought you might have missed it. It provides 4 or 5 pages of explanation that I haven't got time to retype here, including a specific example of controlling 3Play.

The fact that I have been sick for a week, during which time I've had to take my wife to two doctors and three rather worrisome medical procedures have also reduced the amount of time I have available, but the fact is I don't always have time any more to write out a step by step tutorial for every question that arises. I think my post count demonstrates that over the years I've done my little bit, but at times my circumstances and duties prevent me doing more, so I'm equally glad for members like Kane, who can often go the extra mile.

I think, assuming it's still working, the example given in the A&I Guide offers another potentially simpler approach, but I may be wrong, it may be busted, and you're under no compulsion to work it out in any case.

stijef
12-26-2016, 03:34 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! : -) Steve hope your private situation goes to better.

In meantime, I still struggling (have no clue) how to select another output on 3play 440 from macro on tricaster 860 AE. Juha, Kane, Steve, anybody other - you do that? setting it like this is not working

What to add in the string to be able to select output 1 or output 2? - http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=play&value=true&variable_name=value???

none from this is not working also, so I am stuck :-(

kanep
12-26-2016, 11:31 AM
I"ll admit explaining how to format commands using the HTTP method takes some practice and is much easier to do in person. I teach people how to do this in my NewTek Automation Master Class.

To change outputs you need to use the 'output' shortcut.

The http_request value field would be.

http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=output&value=0

A value of '0' is output A and a value of '1' is output B.

Also, here are a few commands that might also be helpful.

The macro commands 'prev_play' and 'prog_play' allow you to start 100% playback in a channel of 3PLAY without having to select the output first. This allows you to trigger playback a channel while the 3PLAY operator can continue to use the other channel uninterrupted.

Play A channel: http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=prev_play
Play B channel: http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=prog_play

ASD20
03-26-2017, 06:05 PM
I was able to successfully setup a macro on my TC 8000 to control playback on my 3Play 4800. However, I haven't been able to find the command lines that would allow me to create a clip on the 3Play, select it from a certain angle and freeze it on the first frame for playback. The main part I can't find is how to create a clip, just like marking out on the 3play. With the macro I had yesterday, it would start playing the video from the 10 seconds prior that I had set. However, I couldn't go onto the 3play and click on a clip for future use. Any help on that part would be appreciated.

I would then create a second macro that would run my replay animation and start playback of the clip. I don't have any problems creating that macro.

stijef
02-15-2019, 02:25 AM
Dear Kane, SBowie, all others

An old post but do you maybe know how to „recognize“ the clip on 3play has finished i.e. to use that event as a trigger for a macro on Tricaster?

You know, once a clip has reached its end I want to get automatically back to program. But not sure is there a signal 3Play sends to TC notifying the system about that. If yes, based on that information macro that has called 3play to play can continue with next rows (in my case automatically trigger „take“ i.e. return to live program).

Macro I've created until now is attached with this post, so, will appreciate your help to fill that blue colored row. Thank you!

I"ll admit explaining how to format commands using the HTTP method takes some practice and is much easier to do in person. I teach people how to do this in my NewTek Automation Master Class.

To change outputs you need to use the 'output' shortcut.

The http_request value field would be.

http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=output&value=0

A value of '0' is output A and a value of '1' is output B.

Also, here are a few commands that might also be helpful.

The macro commands 'prev_play' and 'prog_play' allow you to start 100% playback in a channel of 3PLAY without having to select the output first. This allows you to trigger playback a channel while the 3PLAY operator can continue to use the other channel uninterrupted.

Play A channel: http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=prev_play
Play B channel: http://192.168.1.87:5952/v1/shortcut?name=prog_play

kanep
02-15-2019, 07:18 AM
Dear Kane, SBowie, all others

[SIZE=2][SIZE=3][COLOR="#FFFFE0"]An old post but do you maybe know how to „recognize“ the clip on 3play has finished i.e. to use that event as a trigger for a macro on Tricaster?

You know, once a clip has reached its end I want to get automatically back to program. But not sure is there a signal 3Play sends to TC notifying the system about that. If yes, based on that information macro that has called 3play to play can continue with next rows (in my case automatically trigger „take“ i.e. return to live program).

There is not a command that will be called when the end of the clip has been reached on the 3PLAY. If you are doing 1 button marking on the 3PLAY and your clips are of consistent length, you could time this out in the macro.

stijef
02-15-2019, 07:35 AM
It has to be used for sports, so no constant length of the clips, of course. So, we can take it for 100% sure - no way 3PLAY can "ping" TC once the clip has reached the end? Strange... This need seems, to me, as not a rare one: any chance to upgrade TC/3play with this version in next version(s)?

SBowie
02-15-2019, 07:52 AM
I should mention that NDI offer some powerful new possibilities in this connection. I'm not positive if, and which public software versions might have this yet (I'll see if I can find out today), but send the entire list of 3Play shortcuts (including one of my favorites, "play_macro_byname") directly from a TriCaster to a 3Play - without http syntax or ip numbers, etc. - is now possible when the latter is connected to a TriCaster input over an NDI connection, by using the prefix netn - where n is the input the 3Play is connected to.

This mechanism greatly expands and simplifies the control possibilities. The reverse - controlling the TC from the 3Play across an NDI connection - is not yet implemented.

stijef
02-17-2019, 09:05 AM
I believe there is no need to make 3play control TC. I am trying to get final proof there is no a signal/impuls coming from 3play once the clip ended? If so, then really I don't see TC could know when that clip ended.

@ SBowie - where to look for more information about all these shortcuts you mentioned?

kanep
02-17-2019, 10:55 AM
There is no signal that is sent out when the 3PLAY reaches the end of a clip.

I see a two main solutions for this.

1. As I mentioned, you can set timing the macro for preset amounts of time. As you mentioned, this might not work in all cases, specially if you clips are often not the the default on button marking length.

2. Make two macros, one to start the start the replay and a second to end the replay. This will reduce the 'replay dance' down to two buttons and will handle any length clip.

There is a third method if you are into software programming, where you get the metadata from a 3P1 system and then have a program figure out the timing to send commands to both the TriCaster and 3P1 system, but this wold take some work.

SBowie
02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
@ SBowie - where to look for more information about all these shortcuts you mentioned?There are several ways to find the shortcuts available on a given system. The simplest and often most useful is to simply record a macro, then use the macro editor to determine what shortcuts were captured, and what sort of parameters they involve.

The basic syntax of shortcuts is discussed in the Automation and Integration Guide, which might well be installed on your 3Play system along with the user guide (at home now, can't check), and certainly is found on most current TriCasters. You can also download the A&I Guide here: http://new.tk/TCAEAIG

This pdf used to list all the shortcuts, but in the most recent edition it does not. It does, however, tell you how to find the file named shortcuts_cfg.xml on your system, which has a complete listing.