PDA

View Full Version : Looking for TC8000-compatible switcher recommendation

RoverRadio
04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Am looking for a 12 or 20 input/output SDI switcher for use with Tricaster 8000. Would like to be able to control directly from the Advanced Edition interface. Would it work with a Blackmagic Smart Videohub 12x12? I see in the specs it works with GVNP-compatible routers - not sure ig the Blackmagic is, or if this will work.

Thanks,

Shane

kltv
04-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Blackmagic is compatible (even without the advanced edition) using the 8000 software. I believe the new advanced edition would get you the ability to use your source names directly from the router. By default, BlackMagic routers are automatically discovered if they are on the network with your TriCaster and it assumes the first 8 outputs of the router are connected to the 8 inputs of the TriCaster. With the normal 8000 interface you can then just right-click on a source in switcher row and then select the router input that should feed it.

Kris

kanep
04-14-2015, 11:56 PM
Blackmagic is compatible (even without the advanced edition) using the 8000 software. I believe the new advanced edition would get you the ability to use your source names directly from the router. By default, BlackMagic routers are automatically discovered if they are on the network with your TriCaster and it assumes the first 8 outputs of the router are connected to the 8 inputs of the TriCaster. With the normal 8000 interface you can then just right-click on a source in switcher row and then select the router input that should feed it.

Kris

TCAE does allow router mnemonics to rename the multiview labels, however I'm not sure if Black Magic routers support this. It does work with GVNP routers.

I do have an webapp that I will release (it will require TCAE to run) that will add this support with any supported router and will even rename the buttons on the TC user interface as well.

RoverRadio
04-16-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks. I've posted over on Blackmagic forum asking about the naming (and whether they're actually GVNP-compatible). But their forum requires moderator approval for new users...so the post has been sitting there a couple of days.

Thanks again!

kanep
04-17-2015, 12:01 AM
BlackMagic routers are not GVNP compatible, they have their own protocol.

TriCaster 8000 supports two router protocols, GVNP and BlackMagic.

RoverRadio
04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Ok, gotcha. Just to clarify, so I would not be losing any functionality using Blackmagic router as opposed to GVNP-compatible?

Thanks!

Shane

kanep
04-17-2015, 02:45 PM
With Rev 2-4 (current release of TriCaster 8000 software) you can control either router type and get the same functionality. When TC Advanced Edition comes out, an additional feature is the ability to relabel multiview viewports with the router mnemonics name. For this feature to work the router must support mnemonics, I'm not 100% sure that BlackMagic does (don't have one to test). Even without this feature you can still use the router to change crosspoints.

I'm using a AJA Kumo 1616 on my system, which does support mnemonics. It is nice to have the multiview viewport display the name of your router source as you change them.