PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Lighwave Custom Configs Problem

jboudreau
04-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi Guys

I created Custom Config, and plugin foldesr for both Modeler and Layout.

Here are the targets I used for Modeler.exe file

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.2\bin\Modeler.exe" -c"C:\Users\Jason\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\LW_2015_Co nfigs\Modeler\Configs" -p"C:\Users\Jason\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\LW_2015_Co nfigs\Modeler\Plugins"

Here are the targets I used for layout.exe file

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.2\bin\Layout.exe" -c"C:\Users\Jason\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\LW_2015_Co nfigs\Layout\Configs" -p"C:\Users\Jason\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\LW_2015_Co nfigs\Layout\Plugins"

After using moder and layout for a bit, I noticed that the LWM2015.2-64.CFG is inside the
Layout configs folder, and the LW2015.2-64.CFG is inside the Modeler configs folder.

Has anybody ever run into anything like this and if so what is the problem? Also how is this even possible? I've also noticed that when this happens moderl goes all screwy causing all sorts of issues. For example go to creat a box and nothign is being drawn on the screen. Grid completely dissappears in all viewports etc. To fix the problem I have to keep going and deleting all my configs restarting modeler to create new ones. But this still doesn't explain why it's happening in the first place

Thanks,
Jason

spherical
04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
1. Why put the configs anywhere, other than where LW expects to write them? Just seems unnecessarily asking for trouble, as LW is set up to write all configs in one location, wherever that may be. Separating them by application doesn't compute here.

2. Plugins in a special location, I get. But separating Layout plugins from Modeler plugins also seems overkill. They find their intended application all by themselves.

3. I assume that you pasted these lines. There appears to be a space between "LW_2015_" and "Configs".

jboudreau
04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
1. Why put the configs anywhere, other than where LW expects to write them? Just seems unnecessarily asking for trouble, as LW is set up to write all configs in one location, wherever that may be. Separating them by application doesn't compute here.

2. Plugins in a special location, I get. But separating Layout plugins from Modeler plugins also seems overkill. They find their intended application all by themselves.

3. I assume that you pasted these lines. There appears to be a space between "LW_2015_" and "Configs".

Hi

The reason I put them in seperate folders is because the configs kept conflicting with different versions of lightwave that were installed. I would install both lightwave 11.6.3 and 2015.2 and sometimes the config would get all
screwed up. Sometimes the 11.6.3 configs were being used for 2015 and vice versa causing numerous problems.

As for the plugins, I have them create seperate configs because the plugins configs file is the same name for both programs (LWEXT2015.2-64.CFG) This way it isolates my modeler plugins from my layout plugins. If at any point I'm testing a plugin and it screws up my configs then I can just delete the for example modeler plugin config file and it won't affect layout and vice versa. I was also told by another user that this is a great way to isolate your configs to make sure layout and modeler configs don't cross and mix etc. (Although I'm still getting that problem)

Yeah not sure where the space came from. It's not in the actual target shortcut. Must be something the forum adds when pasting.

What do you do? How do you have it set up? Any help would be great because I'm really getting tired of having to delete my configs over and over again, because one day I'll go into modeler and nothing is working the way it should and once the configs are deleted everything goes back to normal.

I can't believe these configs get so messed up that they have to be deleted. It's crazy!! there has got to be a better way.

Thanks,
Jason

ernpchan
04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Do you use the Hub? That might be why you're getting config conflicts. I don't believe the Hub has anyway of knowing which config you want to use. So if you were using 2015, then closed it but left the Hub running and then launched 11.6.3, you might be creating a conflict right there.

I separate them by version into their own folder. I don't further separate them by Layout/Modeler.

jboudreau
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi

I use the hub all the time. I also sometimes have to run both 11.6.3 and 2015 at the same time because if something is not working in 2015 for instance that I could of swore worked in 11.6.3 then I will run them side by side comparing them to see if it's a bug in the software or not. I also sometime forget to shutdown the hub because I could of swore it shutdown automatically everytime you close the program. But after testing it looks like it takes sometime to shutdown so If I immediately go from say 2015 to 11.6.3 then the 2015 hub might still be open. Is there a way you can get the hub to shutdown immediately once you shut the program down? After looking more into this my hub is set to shutdown after 1 minute which is from what I can tell the shortest amount of time you can set. Why 1 minute and not immediately?

Seperate what by version? The Hub? If so how do you do that?

Thanks
Jason

spherical
04-14-2015, 03:07 AM
There's your problem. Don't do that, ever. Yes, it shuts down "automatically", but not immediately. YOU must tell it to Exit manually to be sure that you are not cross-pollinating when you will be opening another version. It is a very small step to take to be SURE that you are doing things correctly.

lightman
04-16-2015, 05:27 AM
To shut down the hub before you run another version of LW go to the hub icon in the OS toolbar and right click on the hub icon and choose exit. If you do that after shutting down LW every time you will never have another messed up config file. I have 3 versions install, 9.6 11.63 ,2015 and have never had a problem.

Keith

jboudreau
05-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Hi Guys

I was checking my configs tonight and noticed again that the the LWM2015.2-64.CFG is inside the Layout configs folder, and the LW2015.2-64.CFG is inside the Modeler configs folder and this time I made sure I shutdown the hub everytime I opened up a different version of lightwave. After more research and testing I found out this is a bug and I know the steps to reproduce it everytime. This might be the reason why some of us have to keep deleting our configs because they get corrupted all the time.

The custom configs are definitely crossing over into one another

I created a video so I could send to the LW3DG. I will keep you posted on what they tell me

Thanks
Jason

creacon
05-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Because this is probably the best feature that LW has :)
Imagine developing plugins and your debugger starts with configs that point to debug versions of the plugins. Release version points to the release version.

You can make a zillion different icons on your desktop and keep these versions from interfering with each other.

creacon

1. Why put the configs anywhere, other than where LW expects to write them? Just seems unnecessarily asking for trouble, as LW is set up to write all configs in one location

spherical
05-28-2015, 03:12 AM
I was checking my configs tonight and noticed again that the the LWM2015.2-64.CFG is inside the Layout configs folder, and the LW2015.2-64.CFG is inside the Modeler configs folder

Unnecessarily complex, IMO. Further, it isn't a "bug" if that which you have chosen to invent is outside the envelope of the software environment, as written. A "bug" is something that doesn't work correctly within the originally intended environment. You may very well have developed a better way of handling configs, but the devs will decide if it is indeed better and adopt it in the future, or not. But, it isn't something that needs to be remedied because standard locations work as expected.

Yes, custom config locations have worked for years. Used to have to separate them when the 9x series came out, just to keep everything straight; because the default location was moved to the /user directory (which has since been a. However, all of the various configs were written into the same custom location; not different custom locations—per application—within a particular version. This is where I figure that you are running into trouble.

I would heavily wager that the Hub of a particular version expects to find its companion configs where its config is located. It has zero idea where the command line switches in the shortcuts of the other two applications are pointing the other two configs... and they're going to two different locations to boot. Just begging for trouble.

jboudreau
05-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Unnecessarily complex, IMO. Further, it isn't a "bug" if that which you have chosen to invent is outside the envelope of the software environment, as written. A "bug" is something that doesn't work correctly within the originally intended environment. You may very well have developed a better way of handling configs, but the devs will decide if it is indeed better and adopt it in the future, or not. But, it isn't something that needs to be remedied because standard locations work as expected.

Yes, custom config locations have worked for years. Used to have to separate them when the 9x series came out, just to keep everything straight; because the default location was moved to the /user directory (which has since been a. However, all of the various configs were written into the same custom location; not different custom locationsóper applicationówithin a particular version. This is where I figure that you are running into trouble.

I would heavily wager that the Hub of a particular version expects to find its companion configs where its config is located. It has zero idea where the command line switches in the shortcuts of the other two applications are pointing the other two configs... and they're going to two different locations to boot. Just begging for trouble.

I understand what you are saying but I'm not re-inventing anything. We are suppose to be able to use custom paths to our configs, plugins etc using the -c or -p command in our shortcuts. The Lightwave team programmed this into lightwave so I'm not inventing anyting outside the envelope of the software. Exactly so it is a bug because it's not working correctly the way it was meant to be used. The - c command was meant to customize the path to the config files and depending on which way you open modeler or layout the configs cross over into one another. If you ask me this is a bug.

This is happening when using the same version of lightwave. I can uninstall all my lightwave versions and just use version 2015.2 and the configs are still crossing over so it's not a different version issue.

Looks like the issue I might be having is not the custom path to the configs but breaking up the configs seperately, leave it to me to try something new lol.

I'll keep you guys posted. The LW3DG wants me to try something to see if this is still an issue

Thanks
Jason