PDA

View Full Version : My first venture into bones...

Paul_Boland
04-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Folks.

I will admit this topic is more of personal interest, but just thought I'd share... I'm starting to learn bones in Lightwave. Slow going but I have this model rigged and can move the cones in relation to their hexagon body. A bit time consuming to set up, but they work great. Long way to go yet, but I'm getting there...

What I really need now is some sort of controller interface so I don't always have to looking for, and seeing, the bone I want to animate. I know the Sliders tool in Lightwave are good for stuff like this but I've been asking for them to get a proper update since Lightwave 8 and I'm still waiting. Anyone got any suggestions in this field?

ernpchan
04-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Personally I tie the bones to nulls. Then I can apply Item Shape to the null. This also makes it easier to edit multiple objects in the Graph Editor easier since you can't mix different types (objects, bones, lights, cameras) in the GE.

MonroePoteet
04-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm definitely no rigging expert, but ernpchan's advice on associating a Null works well for me. I use a control Null, and Expressions in the various Bone channels to tie the channels of the Null to the bone channels.

As an example, the sample scene uses a ConeControl Null, with expressions tying it's Heading, Pitch and Z Scale to those of the three cones. The Expressions are found in the Expressions tab of the Graph Editor (CTRL-F2) for the bones being controlled. This allows you to select the ConeControl, simply press "Y" to manipulate all three cone's Heading and Pitch, or press "H" to stretch them in the Z axis.

The color, shape and label of the ConeControl Null are found in the Object Properties => Item Shape plug-in.

Also, I always (well, almost always) use Skelegons in Modeler to do my rigging, fine tuning their orientation, etc. in Layout after converting them to Bones.

mTp

Paul_Boland
04-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks. I'm making headway, slowly.

Surrealist.
04-15-2015, 01:04 AM
You can also create custom shapes in Modeler and use those. Sometimes that is handy because the look of the controller and have help visually tell you what it does.

Paul_Boland
04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
You can also create custom shapes in Modeler and use those. Sometimes that is handy because the look of the controller and have help visually tell you what it does.

What is custom shapes?

ernpchan
04-15-2015, 06:04 PM
What is custom shapes?

Your own shapes you make in Modeler.

Surrealist.
04-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah anything you can make. An arrow, a curve, typically something that tells you what the controller is assigned to. For instance you might make shapes of a face that mimic the parts that they control. This helps the animator (you in this case) know immediately what the controllers do. Better than a bunch of boxes and circles that don't mean anything. You can look at the face rig attached without the model and see what they rig does - more or less.

Paul_Boland
04-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks for that. I'm not aware of this method, will look into it.

Surrealist.
04-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Yeah there are tutorials on it, but I could not find any off hand for LightWave. Basically you can use simple geometry like 1 point poly chains and model them around the object you want to control. Of course you'd put them in separate layers so each one was an object. Then those can be used just as you would a null object. I am glossing over a lot of details but it is fairly simple. You'd then center the pivots for each object. Then they will load in Layout in position ready to get rigging just like a null.