PDA

View Full Version : Null vibrates like crazy

Danakinobi
04-12-2015, 06:09 PM
I created and animated a scene in Lightwave. But when I viewed the result, I found that the scene was shaking. I had a null following a pretty straight path and noticed that the null was doing crazy things. I had my camera and object parented to the null. And discovered that the shaking was due to the erratic behavior of the null.

I thought maybe the issue was the null. I un-parented everything that was following the null, but still the Null was acting crazy. I ended up deleting the null and making a new one. but Same thing happened.

I basically had to reload the scene and tried again. I even went into graph editor and deleted everything and started over. But the Null was vibrating like crazy as it followed, even just a straight line.

I ended up reloading the scene again. This time... I moved everything else, but left the null alone and just left it following the same path as before, Things were nice and smooth. But I had to leave the null alone.

Because of the complexity of my scene. I did not want to start over from scratch. I just wanted to re-position my Null, so that my models and camera would follow it at a different angle. But it seems as soon as I try to re-position the null, and even after deleting all my keys that I had before, both in the timeline and graph editor. The null would just follow the path, but would jump around and vibrate like crazy.

Has anyone run into this anomaly before? :hey:127839

shrox
04-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Is it very far from the origin (0,0,0)?

Danakinobi
04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Yes. Yes it is. My space scene is pretty big... In the center of my scene is where I have a bunch of asteroids and also a Nebula... I wanted to have my ships flying into the nebula field from outside. But, yes, the scene is pretty huge.

Is the issue because I'm soooo far away from the origin? I wonder if adjusting my grid square size would help?

Please advise.

Axis3d
04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
You could try baking your model motion to a .MDD file. Then you can load the .MDD file and reposition it where you want. Maybe that will help?

ernpchan
04-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Is the issue because I'm soooo far away from the origin? I wonder if adjusting my grid square size would help?

Yes, try to keep your animation closer to the origin. When you get really far away from the origin, you run into precision errors.

Danakinobi
04-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, try to keep your animation closer to the origin. When you get really far away from the origin, you run into precision errors.

Thank you. I will try that. I didn't think there would be a limitation on that.

I've created a space scene, using, almost true to scale ships and planets. Guess I'll have to shrink things down.

shrox
04-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Thank you. I will try that. I didn't think there would be a limitation on that.

I've created a space scene, using, almost true to scale ships and planets. Guess I'll have to shrink things down.

Yes, I made that mistake the first time...

Chrusion
04-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Guess I'll have to shrink things down.Yeah, like the planet(s) by 100 to 1,000. Ya need those extra decimal places! Scale is relative, so you can visually get away with a planet-to-ship ratio of 1,000:1 or so, instead of 7,000,000:1, by careful positioning of ship(s) and camera. eg. ISS = 300', Earth = 42 million feet, ratio = 7,000,000:1. Scale Earth down by 100 and it's still a huge near half million feet in diameter. 300 feet compared to that is still a huge enough difference to be unnoticeable (that the planet is 1/100th 'normal' size).