PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush -> LW Normal maps broken?

bobakabob
04-10-2015, 03:44 AM
Are any wavers here having problems exporting normal maps from ZB - LW? I'd be very grateful for advice re precise settings in ZB and LW. Hopefully it's not a bug. I'm using LW 2015.2 and first release of ZB 7 64.

I used to do this no problems for character animation but now cannot get the maps to look right in LW - there are horrendous seams and the maps look scrambled (flip V applied). What could I be doing wrong?

Texture and displacement maps all work fine even using GUV tiles generated from ZB which I know some texture artists frown upon. But they're fast and work with the other maps (and formerly, normals). As a workaround I'm converting the displacement map to a 'pseudo' normal map using the bump - normal converter node. Results look Ok but the normal issue is frustrating.

Will post some images. Any help gratefully received.

jasonwestmas
04-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Yeah images would help. In the past just flipping the green channel was enough to make it work. You're not going to be able to get rid of the seams completely though, it's one of those UV tangent space limitations. So put your UV seams where you aren't going to see them. If you are using GUV tiles, then yeah that won't work with normal maps, seams everywhere in that UV style.

sudac20
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
As of now lightwave and Go Z are not working correctly. LWG is aware of the situation and hopefully will have a solution soon???? Apparently things have changed under the hood in Zbrush, the Lightwave goz workflow no longer works correctly.