PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Animator

Sekhar
04-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Adobe is introducing Adobe Character Animator for 2D animation. Check out http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/04/adobe-character-animator-revealed.html, especially their video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmPo0_WZyPU. It seems to have lip sync, physics, and even particles.

ernpchan
04-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Hm, it's nice that they're focusing a toolset on char animation. Not sure what I think of this first iteration of this program though...

Tartiflette
04-10-2015, 03:52 AM
Apart from the questionnable style of what was shown in the Youtube preview, i find that quite impressive for a completely automated system !

And the fact that it's coming "free" (as a preview only, i think ?) with my After Effects license doesn't hurt as well.
It's good to see Adobe moving forward when all i've seen from them in the last couple of years hasn't been really exciting.

Will sure take a look at that app in the future !

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

safetyman
04-10-2015, 05:11 AM
How about fixing problems with their existing software before starting a new endeavor. Seriously though, looks interesting.

Greenlaw
04-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Adobe Character Animator seems cute and gimmicky to me. In the right hands, I can see a lot of fun stuff potentially coming out of it...but mostly I see a wave of really bad 'animation' being uploaded to YouTube. (I mean even more than we're seeing now.) :p

What I found more interesting is the face tracker shown briefly in the other launch video. I've seen that sort of thing done routinely in programs like PF Track but it's interesting to see this capability coming to a mainstream program like After Effects. I wonder how well that works for animal faces and I wonder if the tracking data will be accessible to 3D programs like Lightwave for muzzle replacement. (Uh, oh. Get ready for a wave of really bad talking animal videos too.)

BTW, does it bug anybody else that Adobe removed the toggle button for Autokey in AE CC 2014? The explanation I got from Adobe was that they decided the button was too confusing to new users so they removed it for all users. Now we have to enable Autokey by drilling into a settings menu but even then we no longer have the toggle switch button on the timeline, just an un-clickable indicator that's it's active. And to make sure nobody can do anything about it, it appears you can't access the switch through scripting to create your own button either. Ugh...I'm very annoyed at the moment. Sorry to go OT but I hope the toggle button comes back for 2015.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled 'Bad Puppet Theater'. :D

G.

Edit: Actually I did create a tool that essentially gives me that functionality, only indirectly. It was made for CS6 for a different reason but I guess it should work in CC 2014. Nevermind

bazsa73
04-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Looks great though i wouldn't use it because I have no time learning new stuff.

jasonwestmas
04-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Not a fan of how AE deforms the planes but maybe this will bring a new level of control for quick turnaround animation, which I have to do often for motion graphics in games.