PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl + C = crash

CharlieL
04-09-2015, 02:01 AM
I am working in Modeler 10.1 and try to copy an object in a layer in order to get a duplicate
in another layer. But that causes a crash of Modeler repeatedly, every time I try.

I am in Win7 64-bit on an ASUS G74Sx. The object-file is from 2010 and from an older computer.

Have anyone experienced this before?

I think it hardly could be a matter of settings in preferences.

Any thoughts?

djwaterman
04-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Does it crash when you go up to Edit/ Copy ?

JoePoe
04-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Good question.

Try to save as another name??
Also.... can you load it into Layout??
If so try to "Save As" there, and then try again in Modeler.

Care to post the lwo?

CharlieL
04-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Good question.

Try to save as another name??
Also.... can you load it into Layout??
If so try to "Save As" there, and then try again in Modeler.

Care to post the lwo?

Yes, I have tried to save in another namne. That doesn't solve anything. But what I did discover is
that when I tried to make a loop selection of a circular part it did not work. And when I had manually
selected points in a circle (in order) I got polys along the edge with a big hole in the middle.

I draw the conclusion that point id:s (or what they are called) are changed in a way that canīt be
easily controlled.

It is a pity as it affects many technical objects for the same client. If I donīt touch the objects and
import them into Layout they render fine. But I also noticed that Layout will crash easily if I begin to
move or edit objects in Layout.

It looks like that vital parts must be redrawn again in order to work it out.

CharlieL
04-09-2015, 08:33 AM

Yes, exactly the same as you do with a schortcut. Just unexpected error and crash.

I will check if I can publish a file here and maybe come to a solution, because it is a
set of tech stuff that I have to arrange together.

Thanks for caring. I thought I could reuse these files even if they are 5 years old.
Noticed that I bought LW10.1 a few months after so these LWO-files must be LW9.6.

Sensei
04-09-2015, 08:40 AM
It might contain nodes or shaders or procedural textures which have changed settings structure (3rd party?).

Press 'q' to get rid any surface data. Then save under different file name. Restart Modeler just in case.
Then load and try copying and pasting layer, like you wanted.

Alternatively, export to OBJ, Restart.
then load OBJ, and see whether it crashes as well.

JoePoe
04-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I'd be happy to give the model a quick inspection if you'd like.

CharlieL
04-09-2015, 09:19 AM
It might contain nodes or shaders or procedural textures which have changed settings structure (3rd party?).

Press 'q' to get rid any surface data. Then save under different file name. Restart Modeler just in case.
Then load and try copying and pasting layer, like you wanted.

Alternatively, export to OBJ, Restart.
then load OBJ, and see whether it crashes as well.

I tested to export to OBJ-file but that affected the object too much and the rope
made with a rope editor was totally deformed.

But I will Check what happens if I change all surfaces. That might be a good idea.
Thank You!

CharlieL
04-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I'd be happy to give the model a quick inspection if you'd like.

HI JoePoe,
The troublesome object that cause these crashes is a profile product for my client.
I am sure they do not want me to make it a public property. I am sorry, but I have to respect that.

I order to demonstrate the problem I opened other standard products from the same set of files
that are managed exactly the same way. However I could not repeat the same Modeler-behaviour
with those other objects. So now it seems to be only one LWO-file (the most important one)
that doesn't behave as expected.

I began to wonder if the fact that I moved my files via DropBox uncompressed, if that could affect
them in some way. Therefore I will import the troublesome LWO-file once more, and use an USB-stick
instead.

Thank you all for helpful suggestions and advice. As a give back I enclose a Ball Valve that you may
use, all of you that supported me, if it could be of any use. I tried to prove my problem with this
file but it just behaved as expected. (Please do not look too close into the modelling. ;-) It was five
years ago, and it is expected to be viewed at a distance in a setup with more products and pipes)

CharlieL
04-10-2015, 03:50 AM
I have found that the original file on the old harddrive was not any better than the corrupted file that caused crashes.
So the use of DropBox didnīt cause any problems. It was an error in the file. I have decided to use it as a template
and redraw the object. I have the weekend in front of me booleaning.

Waves of light
04-10-2015, 05:00 AM
I've just had a quick look at your example mesh above and if the other file in question has similar issues, that may be causing the crash. I used to have a problem with some files in Modeler and whenever I copied and paste from, or into those files it would crash Modeler. It turned out to be unclean geometry. My checklist is always this, when cleaning up geometry:

1. 1 or 2 point polys
2. Unmerged points
3. Unify Polys

If you look at your Polygon Statistics, you'll see that there are 420 2 point polys (2 Vertices in the menu). Try highlighting all of those, delete them and then save out a new copy of the file.

Next, I clicked m for merge - that got rid of 1784 points (now, that might be because you have parts covering the same points, ready for your boolean operations - so you might want to run that on a layer by layer basis)

Then I ran Unify Polys - this gets rid of any polygons that occupy exactly the same space (so one poly on top of another - usually happens when you accidentally copy and paste a layer over the same layer and don't notice it). This found and fixed 103 polys.

Try using the above methods on your suspect file and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Ricky.

CharlieL
04-10-2015, 05:39 AM
I've just had a quick look at your example mesh above and if the other file in question
has similar issues, that may be causing the crash. I used to have a problem with some files in Modeler and whenever I
copied and paste from, or into those files it would crash Modeler. It turned out to be unclean geometry. My checklist is
always this, when cleaning up geometry:

1. 1 or 2 point polys
2. Unmerged points
3. Unify Polys

- - - - -

Cheers,
Ricky.

Ricky,
Good points. Thanks for the reminder. Nowadays I use the W-command a lot especially when working with SubD-objects.
But naturally it is a good habit always.
Cheers,
CharlieL

spherical
04-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Also go into Point Mode and look for Points on 0 or only 1 or 2 polys. Most times, not always, Points will be on 3 or greater.
Go into Edge Mode and look for Edges on anything other than two polys. There are instances where there will be Edges on 1 poly, extending from a hole to the perimeter, but the norm is that Edges join polys, so 2 is expected.