part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzNE1fs8b6Q

part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eknw6xmhFms

part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc5OuZXu3GM

raw-m
04-09-2015, 07:48 AM
There's some very interesting buffer and comping in AE going on at the end of the first one, but I don't understand a word of it :ohmy:

PS. Some great texturing tricks in the second one!

ernpchan
04-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Very awesome stuff. It'd be nice if there was some translation.

ianr
04-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Nice Picker on the Left.

I wonder if they are gonna

do & English Version.?

realgray
04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Oh man I wish someone would translate this! Looks incredible!

realgray
04-09-2015, 11:43 AM
What rigging plugin is that? Haven't seen it before.

paulhart
04-09-2015, 12:03 PM
How is it that Newtek(Lightwave) doesn't have this in translation immediately?? The innovation and development seems to be phenomenal. If you turn on 'Captions' you get what looks to be at least a Portuguese CC information. Newtek is doing nothing for itself and Lightwave if it doesn't offer this kind of information in English at the same time as DStorm releases the video?? I just do not understand??

OFF
04-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Nice Picker on the Left.

I wonder if they are gonna

do & English Version.?

su:Char_Select_Manager
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/sunrise/su_Char_Select_Manager.html

It's part of SUNRISE plugin pack from DS:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/sunrise/

Dexter2999
04-09-2015, 01:50 PM
How is it that Newtek(Lightwave) doesn't have this in translation immediately?? The innovation and development seems to be phenomenal. If you turn on 'Captions' you get what looks to be at least a Portuguese CC information. Newtek is doing nothing for itself and Lightwave if it doesn't offer this kind of information in English at the same time as DStorm releases the video?? I just do not understand??

If you turn on the subtitles then click on the settings (gear) it brings up the option to change the auto generated translation language. However, being auto generated, it is still not really comprehensible. At least not for the portion I was watching.

paulhart
04-09-2015, 01:57 PM
<RANT>Okay, color me indignant, annoyed, puzzled. I just explored the DStorm site and SUNRISE plugins, etc. How is it possible for Newtek(Lightwave) to have this kind of development going on and yet have no English translation of the videos, the plugins, the DOCs and HTML files. The whole site should be featured by Newtek with easy access to English version of all of the content, including the plugins. I mean, how hard is it. They are doing some excellent work, clearly have a large following and yet we can't get someone from Newtek to translate and promote??? </RANT>
Please correct me if I am in error. I did my due diligence with Google and got zip...
Sorry Dexter2999, just saw your post, I will explore. It partially helps, but really, is anybody at Newtek aware what the other hand is doing??
Gotta say, Dexter2999, that is pretty funny stuff.

Jarno
04-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Although we do work closely with them to adapt LW to the Japanese market, you do realise that DStorm is not a part of NewTek or the LightWave 3D Group, but an independent seller of LW products in Japan, right?

---JvdL---

lightscape
04-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Although we do work closely with them to adapt LW to the Japanese market, you do realise that DStorm is not a part of NewTek or the LightWave 3D Group, but an independent seller of LW products in Japan, right?

---JvdL---

But wouldn't it be great if Newtek was a people person?

The Sunrise plugins were posted by someone a year or two ago. I posted it recently because there was an update. Its a shame that there's still no english version of the plugins. They're so useful and free. Some of the mass rename tools should be native to lightwave.
I don't think its hard for someone at Newtek to email Dstorm and ask a favor to translate these plugins since they are seling Lightwave and it would be a boost in general to have these tools be useful for all.

djwaterman
04-10-2015, 04:16 AM
That would really be D-Storm's decision.

lightscape
04-10-2015, 04:57 AM
That would really be D-Storm's decision.

Newtek has to build bridges not burn them. They should for example have taken it in their responsibility to add vray as an option for lightwave. But they said Chaosgroup has to approach them. When you're the underdog in the industry, you make things happen and make contacts that will benefit you or your company.

ianr
04-10-2015, 05:32 AM
May I thank Dstorm & our Waver brothers in Japan

paulhart
04-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Lightwave needs to make this happen. Just push along, get someone to do the translation, promote your fellows across the pond. If you want to put the usual disclaimer on, (sorry, not responsible for third party blah, blah on your system...) fine, but not doing anything just shouts loser, we don't work with others.... we can't be bothered, etc. and yes, I do thank anybody for contributions and efforts, we all benefit.

lightscape
04-11-2015, 09:51 PM
but not doing anything just shouts loser, we don't work with others.... we can't be bothered, etc.

Agree. Those sunrise plugins have been available for a while now.
A reseller of lightwave that Newtek won't bother to approach seems.....

ianr
04-12-2015, 05:27 AM
HOLD UP, i think you will find that Dstorm where involved
when Mr.Powers did a Japanese LW promo tour last year?

Yamotoworks stuff has been in the LW Newsletter
(Samurai & a flock of Fans) last year.

It's just that a U.S. Japanese Professional voiceover is
required to bring all the wonderful stuff on-stream!

LW3DG really should be ON this post,Hello?

jwiede
04-12-2015, 12:14 PM
HOLD UP, i think you will find that Dstorm where involved
when Mr.Powers did a Japanese LW promo tour last year?

If LW3DG and DStorm have such close relationship, then working together to produce localized sunrise plugin should be a tractable goal.

jeric_synergy
04-12-2015, 01:03 PM
::resigned sigh:: Seriously, in fracking L.A., how much could a professional translation cost?

Heck, it's the Internet Age, surely we can get a quote from someone out of the 6 billion people on the planet.

(I'm talking about the marketing material, not software localization.)

Who at LW3D is tasked with "outreach"?

EDIT: and for gahdz sake WHY IS IT PORTUGUESE that gets auto generated???????

Even if the ball is in DStorm's court, what reasons could there be?

Davewriter
04-12-2015, 09:48 PM
If only it were that easy.
I worked on the construction of an amusement park in Japan. Few of us understood Japanese. Each area was assigned translators. Several of them were very good. But they were very good at speaking General things. Ordering items or doing schedules was all fine and good.
But when it came to talking Tech... we were all back to drawing pictures with sticks in the sand.
My Chinese wife took Japanese in College. Did pretty well with it. And she likes the look of Manga. When I show her the Dstorm page her eyes glaze over.
I'd love to know what their presentations are and to know what their plug-ins are, but that form of translation is really on the rare side.
I'd be as bold as to say that were "we" able to find such a person, there would probably be an open slot for them at LW3D.

lightscape
04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
I worked on the construction of an amusement park in Japan. Few of us understood Japanese. Each area was assigned translators. Several of them were very good. But they were very good at speaking General things. Ordering items or doing schedules was all fine and good.
But when it came to talking Tech... we were all back to drawing pictures with sticks in the sand.
My Chinese wife took Japanese in College. Did pretty well with it. And she likes the look of Manga. When I show her the Dstorm page her eyes glaze over.
I'd love to know what their presentations are and to know what their plug-ins are, but that form of translation is really on the rare side.
I'd be as bold as to say that were "we" able to find such a person, there would probably be an open slot for them at LW3D.

You do know there are hundreds of anime and manga that are translated by fansubs for free.
Most of these anime and manga have very technical, cultural, formal and informal nuances that are part of the japanese language and they do a very good job of translating them for free.
If its going to be a paid job it will be even easier.

jeric_synergy
04-12-2015, 10:24 PM
All those out of work VFX people and none are fluent in Japanese?

lightscape
04-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Another video from studio Kamikaze Douga. This time with translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwRKmv8-fcA

Newtek could really promote the use of Lightwave for 2D animation.

ernpchan
04-12-2015, 11:30 PM
This studio really goes the extra mile in their video presentations. Kudos to them for making videos that go beyond the typical behind the scenes route.

VermilionCat
04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
It's SUNRISE inhouse tools. We are just lucky to have an access to it. They don't really have to give it to the public.

lightscape
04-13-2015, 12:00 AM
It's SUNRISE inhouse tools. We are just lucky to have an access to it. They don't really have to give it to the public.

Wouldn't it be better if Newtek had a relationship with this third party to bring this to a global format? Benefits all lightwave users, studios, resellers, anyone involved with lightwave.

I hate to say it but Brad must be a genius. He was able to convince the Groboto guys to bring meshfusion to Modo 901. Their life's work coded for years now a part of Modo 901. That kind of pr is missing with newtek to attract thirdparty. Without people like Juanjo we would never have octane, arnold for lw.

These Sunrise plugins have been available for two years. Where's the relationship there?

Dexter2999
04-13-2015, 02:55 AM

True. Speaking another language is one thing. But having specific technical understanding of a given field and its vocabulary is even more demanding.
But I am also sure those people are out there. Perhaps they are already making a living by doing something with that technical understanding and translation work pays less? In other words, why give up a better job to use a rarer skill they possess especially if it pays less and may be less challenging and rewarding?

Yeah, to get someone who really understands it to translate it properly, they would probably need to be nudged over into a sales type position. So then the reward for using this rarer skill has a higher reward potential (if not as artistically/creatively rewarding.)

Unless, they want to groom someone unfamiliar with the software to a specific marketing script and then hire a pretty face to be a spokes model.

jeric_synergy
04-13-2015, 09:13 AM
There are people who understand software concepts who aren't all that employable as animators-- I'm one. I think it's pretty obvious that I'd much rather think about the tools than do the grind of animation.

If times are actually so hard for VFX, there should be plenty of people who wouldn't mind a temporary consulting job translating a video or two, or doing English localization.

It's like when NewTek presses its people into being presenters at SIGGRAPH-- not their main job, but a job.

lightscape
04-14-2015, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the person who did the lightwave Japanese INTERFACE for lightwave xx to 2015 can be asked to translate.

Or they can hire some cheap labor at Odesk.
https://www.odesk.com/c/jobs/Translate-software-from-English-Japanese-tech-software-skill-needed_~01ae38ab27f3ed5d8b

ianr
04-15-2015, 06:06 AM
Still NO LW3D reply on this thread , phaa!?

sadkkf
04-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but as a developer I've made all kinds of software for different uses and it seems no matter how many extras I throw in that were not part of the original specs, my clients have almost always come back to me to ask for more or for additions to those freebies.

Again, I can not and do not speak for NewTek here, but I'm pretty sure their plate is full. What may seem like a quick addition is usually not. I, like almost everyone, would love these part of LW, but I'm just glad they're available and they're free.

Conversely, it kind of seems NT is pushing LightWave down on the priorities with Tricaster and their other products coming first, just based on their positions in the forums. I have no idea what they're thinking (which isn't a complaint or criticism), but they run the business and presumably have a strategy for remaining solvent.

Edit: I'd actually prefer time spent on Fiber, hypervoxels and other dynamics if they have to decide. :)

Davewriter
04-15-2015, 08:47 PM
You do know there are hundreds of anime and manga that are translated by fansubs for free.
Most of these anime and manga have very technical, cultural, formal and informal nuances that are part of the japanese language and they do a very good job of translating them for free.
If its going to be a paid job it will be even easier.

One would think.
In our attraction we had some very Kool work being done with a UV laser. For safety reasons we had to clear the "building." Out of hundreds of translators working on the project you'd think somebody could come up with a sign that said "Death! Do Not Come In!"
Yet no matter what sign was put up, no matter what the warnings, workers walked in.
Same place had Dancing Waters effects.
We could show pictures. We could show video. But there was no translation for it.
Because of the way Japanese is a mixture of Chinese, their own regional mixture of languages and hint of Korean - translators always carried at least one dictionary Of Their Own language with them.
And - not taking a swipe here - you can't just hand over a complete manual and say "Hey, why not spend a weekend with this and...?"
I doubt that Gimbal lock doesn't come up in most college classes.
Then add in the simplicity of nodes :)

lightscape
04-15-2015, 11:13 PM
The moral of the story there is you had bad korean translators.

jwiede
04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
One would think.
In our attraction we had some very Kool work being done with a UV laser. For safety reasons we had to clear the "building." Out of hundreds of translators working on the project you'd think somebody could come up with a sign that said "Death! Do Not Come In!"
Yet no matter what sign was put up, no matter what the warnings, workers walked in.
Same place had Dancing Waters effects.
We could show pictures. We could show video. But there was no translation for it.
Because of the way Japanese is a mixture of Chinese, their own regional mixture of languages and hint of Korean - translators always carried at least one dictionary Of Their Own language with them.
And - not taking a swipe here - you can't just hand over a complete manual and say "Hey, why not spend a weekend with this and...?"
I doubt that Gimbal lock doesn't come up in most college classes.
Then add in the simplicity of nodes :)

Keep in mind the translation case you're describing was into Japanese, not from Japanese into English. Very different propositions.

The target terminology here is the originating English terminology. Getting a translator to come up with something close enough to where a tech can get them the proper English phrasing is nowhere near as difficult a proposition. Translating existing English technical terms into Japanese where there often simply aren't direct semantic equivalents is, as you note, a difficult proposition, but this is not that scenario.

Another difference in scenarios is that in this one, the Japanese localization of LW itself can serve as a kind of Rosetta Stone. Whatever idiomatic Japanese equivalents are used are likely related to those used in the Japanese LW translation, and so referring against English LW can yield the proper English term.

jeric_synergy
04-16-2015, 02:01 AM
We're talking about ONE PLUGIN, not the whole LW manual.

And/or the DStorm marketing video.

Julez4001
04-16-2015, 11:06 AM
I am leaving Vegas now and while Autodesk had their flame and other video/film compositing, they also had 3Dsmax and Maya workstations at their booth and HP to play around with.
Newtek had zero Lightwave prescence. Cinema4D of course was all over the place, hence them getting bigger marketshare. Foundry demoed Modo.

realgray
04-16-2015, 12:18 PM
"Foundry demoed Modo". Did you happen to see a text tool?

lightscape
04-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Newtek had zero Lightwave prescence.

LMAO. Just like lw group have near zero presence in the forums.
No videos or updates either.
Its embarassing that the training vids for lightwave are so few and far between, too. Another 3d app I started using has a couple of training vids every two weeks that are very in depth and informative.

Wickedpup
04-18-2015, 06:42 AM
"Foundry demoed Modo". Did you happen to see a text tool?
Why? Is the one in LW to advanced for you? :ohmy:

gerry_g
04-18-2015, 08:18 AM
You mean the LW one is really really basic I take it, when it matches the C4D one I'll maybe use it more than once every year or two https://youtu.be/PPK6fzmOdig

Davewriter
04-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Granted it's been a few years since I've been at NAB either just wandering the show floor, or doing demo work, but I'm not sure it's really a good show for LW. For Newtek Yes!.

Speaking simply by the square foot, it is a horribly expensive show to do. And they upcharge for every freak'n thing possible +3.

I would tend to think that there are any number of other ways for LWGroup to spend marketing $ then going for a show that won't bring you back very much. Newtek could probably sell the floor units of Tri-caster and save on load out costs, but this isn't the show where a Studio Engineer is going to be picking up a copy of LW 2015.

As for the other folks, if they feel it will be a strong show for them... hey, spend on. Participation @ NAB runs in cycles. Company A will do it for a couple of years - drop out the next - then see that "Those Guys" are going to be there, then sign up again. I know LW has shown in years past. I've been at the booth and watched the demos. But usually it is an exercise of preaching to the choir.

But then I've been wrong before...

lightscape
04-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Why? Is the one in LW to advanced for you? :ohmy:

He probably means that Modo's text tool sucks like lw and could do an update otherwise he's not interested in Modo

ianr
04-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks lightscape,
Providing an fine example of what we were talking about
seems that is n't that hard to get good V.O. tech diction & this was back in
2013. See the waves of negative language semantics don't fix anything.

I never liked Brad,having meet him on various occassions,but with
content jumping out like we have glimpses of he would be it getting
Trans & pushing Cel-Edge content for more seat sales.
I agree with LW no solo @ NAB as they probably felt that theres not
much to crow about in this 2015 cycle yet.....But that don't excuse the
yawning silence with anti-matter marketing of recent ,!

jeric_synergy
04-19-2015, 09:22 AM
IMO NAB is the wrong venue for >>LW<<, although one would think the Tricaster would fit neatly there.

SIGGRAPH is more LW's neighborhood.

ironbearxl
04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
The scene with the two characters fighting is awesome! Is all of that DStorm plugins, or is something like Rhiggit or Genoma used as well?

realgray
04-20-2015, 07:40 PM
The scene with the two characters fighting is awesome! Is all of that DStorm plugins, or is something like Rhiggit or Genoma used as well?

I agree. That work should be featured on the LW homepage.

Julez4001
04-21-2015, 08:30 PM
IMO NAB is the wrong venue for >>LW<<, although one would think the Tricaster would fit neatly there.

SIGGRAPH is more LW's neighborhood.

Still all the other 3d apps were there. CD4 had its own booth , Autodesk and HP was pimping 2016 , and Foundry was showing Modo with its other products.
They culd have been showing Newtek new mini toas--I mean Tricaster with Lightwave.

Julez4001
04-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Really love the hand controls via morph targets (lots to learn here)

Can we get a translation?

33:10

raw-m
04-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Really love the hand controls via morph targets (lots to learn here)

Can we get a translation?

33:10

Are they morphs? Doesn't look linear in movement, the fingers seem to have an arc when the sliders are moved(?).

VermilionCat
04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Are they morphs? Doesn't look linear in movement, the fingers seem to have an arc when the sliders are moved(?).

One of plugins has the ability to register motions of selected items.

ianr
04-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Raw-m,
I think it's su: pose_clip

Google translation
D Storm Summary:Registers the channel items as pause, plug-in can be blended

Docs are in Japanese only inside the Rar,
which is to be found in most.

raw-m
04-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks ianr, I'll look into that a bit further.

Julez4001
04-23-2015, 01:19 AM
Raw-m,
I think it's su: pose_clip

Google translation
D Storm Summary:Registers the channel items as pause, plug-in can be blended

Docs are in Japanese only inside the Rar,
which is to be found in most.

Reminds me of MotionBlender In Project Messiah
http://www.eggswhyzed.com/messiah_docs/tut_motionblender_beg.htm

Julez4001
09-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Anyone translated any of the videos?

jeric_synergy
09-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Are any of these tools even being sold in Japan? or is it all inhouse? Cuz otherwise it's interesting, but nothing to get worked up about.

Now, if they were on the market, I'd say a group, maybe LALWUG, could take a collection, hire a translator, get the vids translated, then lobby Sunrise for a localization.