PDA

View Full Version : Associating Files away from Quicktime in XP

Tom Wood
12-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi Everybody,

I made it through a TED session into TMPEGEnc and created 'something' that plays in Windows Media Player. It was rendered out of TED as a Type-2 DV file and then compressed in TMPEGEnc. (Called tpegmove.mpg in screenshot below) I tried using the AVI Wrapper but TMPEGEnc wouldn't load the audio. (Called moveonfinal.avi in screenshot below.) The resulting sets of files, including source assets are in a folder shown below.

When I click on tpegmove.mpg it says Quicktime can't find the software it needs. But if I right click and use explorer to tell it to plays in Windows Media Player, it plays fine. I think the problem is that Quicktime has associated all these file types to itself, including WAVs. How do I reverse that if that's the problem?

Thanks,

TW

mrunion
12-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Go to the Control Panel (switch to classic view temporarily). There you should see a "QuickTime" icon. Double-click it and there is a file associations section where you should be able to "disassociate" it with AVI, etc.

Tom Wood
12-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks Matt,

I always wondered how that got done. Simple I know, but I'd never done it...

TW

bradl
12-04-2003, 08:10 PM
For a quick windows explorer re-association of file types in XP, Right-Click a file type, choose "Open With", choose "Choose Program", check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box, choose your new program and hit OK.

EDIT- This is not right:
Under Windows 2000, it is a similar process but to get the "Open With" dialog you must hit Shift + Right-Click on a file type.

That was to get the "run as" dialog. Don't remember exactly how now, but it was obvious...