PDA

View Full Version : cross platform rendering

tommo
12-03-2003, 08:32 AM
I run Lightwave 7.5c on a PC. I have just bought a Mac G5 dual 2Ghz machine. Can anybody recommend the best 3rd party software for cross platform rendering. I only have 1 Lightwave license.

Thanks

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Lightwave comes with unlimited rendering nodes so hook the two to a network, copy over the necessary files for the rendering [ie screamernet] and iniate the render with you main system. If all goes right the host machine will notice the other machine [mac] and assign frames to it. There are programs free and commercial that make this process a little easier as sometimes screamernet does not act the way you think or it just takes a while to set up correctly.

One network rendering manage is Spider (http://www.stationx.com/index.htm)

go to flay to check to see if there are others.

Red_Oddity
12-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Actually Wizcracker, that is not possible (or atleast not hen i tried it a hundred times), the PC and the Mac use different directory delimiters (the PC uses the slash '\' and Mac uses the double pointy thing ':')
The PC will find the render node on the Mac, but it goes wrong in the file/scene/object names and the ack files behave strange.

It is possible however by using Screamernet Controller for the Mac (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/) as it 'repairs' the directory delimiters.

Just try the demo version.

WizCraker
12-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Well then I guess you will have to write a proprietary tool to work with it. I've worked in enviroments in a network sharing stuff with Mac an Pc and everything work perfect. I did not set it up so I would have no clue then.

Mylenium
12-03-2003, 11:13 AM
I don't think it will work in a direct way. You would have to have a server (Win, Linux, Irix or whatever) that does the conversion from Mac to PC and vice versa "on the fly" like Windows Server with AppleTalk does. BTW, it#s not just the path delimiters. There's also different LF/ CR interpretation, certain ASCII characters are mapped differently, file headers may be different (could matter for image files) etc.

Mylenium

BeeVee
12-04-2003, 02:12 AM
Besides all these issues - don't do it! AMD, Intel and PowerPC chips all render scenes slightly differently. Stick to one processor type for your renderings otherwise you could risk getting pops in your animations, or having shadows changing density, or reflections not looking quite the same or any number of different things.

B

garg
12-04-2003, 03:14 AM
Well Intel and AMD on the same OS will render the same (at least here) but if you mix OS (like win and linux) you will get different results.

Alain Bertrand