PDA

View Full Version : Repeat action Key?

djwaterman
04-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Is there a keyboard shortcut or a way in Lightwave to repeat a tool action? For example, if I'm using Bandsaw Pro, I select two polygons, then select Bandsaw Pro, then I have to drop the tool and select some new polygon and select Bandsaw Pro again, and so on. It would be nice to be able to select the polygon and hit a key that remembers the last tool and executes it with the last known settings.

Sensei
04-08-2015, 05:58 AM
For most of tools Actions > Activate does it.

In Bandsaw Pro pick Preset > Custom 1. Then edit it.
After dropping tool, selecting new polys, and activating Bandsaw Pro, I had the same settings in it.

djwaterman
04-08-2015, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to avoid reaching over to select Bandsaw or any other tool each and every time I want to use it, or put another way, avoid picking up and dropping the tool. It would be nice if there was a way in modeler to select a tool, edit it's settings and then just select polygons and hit a key and it performs the tools functions on the polygons, for repetitive operations.

EDIT I ended up mapping Bandsaw Pro to a key. But I was really hoping for a universal solution that's not specific to a particular tool.

Sensei
04-08-2015, 08:27 AM
It would be nice, but impossible without starting writing application from scratch.
So I don't know what do you actually want? Solution for currently existing problem? Or dreams "what would be nice to have in parallel universe"..

To have "repeat last command", there is needed "history stack" and every thing in app must be "command" with parameters, obeying the same rules.

djwaterman
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Perhaps the ability to pick a tool, edit settings, and then map that tool to a key temporarily for immediate repeated use. Once doing some other type of operation that key mapping could then be lost.

Sensei
04-08-2015, 09:04 AM
There is no uniform settings *)
Each tool is independent entity.
Like you would have folder with commands. Each command has no idea what other command is doing, what variables/settings it has etc.
You can't read tool settings, you can't pass it to tool.

*) I am storing settings in DLL global variables.

e.f.

static int g_Tool_Tolerance = TOOL_TOLERANCE;

void sometool::sometool() // constructor
{
m_Tool_Tolerance = g_Tool_Tolerance; // copy global variable to local C++ object member
}

void sometool::~sometool() // destructor
{
g_Tool_Tolerance = m_Tool_Tolerance; // copy local variable to global variable for later use, the next time tool is executed by user
}

spherical
04-08-2015, 04:08 PM
To have "repeat last command", there is needed "history stack" and every thing in app must be "command" with parameters, obeying the same rules.

Well, there's "UnDo", so there is some history data there by which to possibly glean which tool was last used. (This would be added to the Modeler code, not with a plugin.) I have had the same thought many times. Rounder isn't so bad when you are performing the same Op over and over on sequential edges (Sleect > Open > Activate > Enter), but other tools and their workflow can get to be tedious. I don't necessarily want it to always do the same thing with the same settings, just re-open the last-used tool without having to go back to the menu each and every time to open it.

Sensei
04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Undo stores mesh changes only.

"We have point 1 at location 0,0,0"
Then
"change point 1 to location 1,0,0"
etc.

Any tool can change any point location for instance (but in primary layer only). Not just selected one.
Any tool can change any polygon (but in primary layer). Not just selected one.
Other tool has to change data of elements that are not selected by user.
Take for example cut tool.

Well, there's "UnDo", so there is some history data there by which to possibly glean which tool was last used.

No, it doesn't remember which tool was used.

Single tool can execute as many undo/redo as it wishes.

f.e. Fracture does a lot of undo/redo.

Undos can be grouped by non-interactive tools.
Interactive tools can't control undo/redo.

spherical
04-08-2015, 04:31 PM
No, it doesn't remember which tool was used.

I know it doesn't NOW. That is why I said that it would have to be coded into the application, not used through the SDK.

DCjr
02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
I was looking for this as well. In Maya, there is a command that will repeat the last command used. So If I do a vertex weld, I can type the repeat last command key - which is the "g" key.
If I do an apply vertex color, I can just type g and it will repeat the last command. It can be used for any command. Very useful and a timesaver.

erikals
02-18-2016, 01:49 AM
or learn autohotkey.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/search?query=ahk

a "must" imo