PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! Layout "Modeler Tools" Can't save object

jboudreau
04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Hi Guys

I'm creating geometry in layout using the Modeler tools and when I tell it to save the object it keeps giving me an error message.

I keep getting this error message

Does anyone know why this is or how to fix it

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I figured it out

For those of you that might be wondering the same thing, It's because everytime you click on the save object button, it sets the directory that you have set in your paths option but it also adds the \objects folder which for some reason it won't create so it throws out this error. For example if you want to save your objects in C:\clients\projectA\test_models\groundplane.lwo. It will actually try and save the object in this folder instead. C:\clients\projectA\test_models\objects\groundplan e.lwo

workaround:

If you manually go into the path section (under the save object button) and take out the \objects so you have this instead C:\clients\projectA\test_models\groundplane.lwo it will work

or

If you create an objects folder in your custom path before hand it should work too

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

spherical
04-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Yes. /[content-directory]/objects is the expected location where objects will be located; no matter where your Content-Directory is specified.
If you aren't following the convention of the default sub-directories:

/images
/objects
/renders
/scenes

at the minimum, you'll likely run into issues like this.

jeric_synergy
04-07-2015, 10:12 PM
BUT, there was (is?) a long standing bug where if you save a different entity, say a Surface, in a different folder, like say "Surfaces", Modeler would change the OBJECT save folder to that folder until you told it differently.

Which is A) incredibly annoying, and B) rather lame at this stage in the product's history. How many revisions do we have to endure before obvious bugs are addressed? (Ans: 12+)

(Plus, some plugins would do similar folder-hijacking, if the plugin saved anything to disk.)

spherical
04-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Yeah. How about the oh-so logical default destination of /images when saving renders after an F9?

jeric_synergy
04-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Yeah. How about the oh-so logical default destination of /images when saving renders after an F9?
I hear ya bro.

djwaterman
04-08-2015, 03:35 AM
What is the default? I've always manually saved them to my own destinations ( I find it a bit antiquated that you have to manually type in the file extension, . jpg, . png and so forth, used to it now though).

lightscape
04-08-2015, 06:22 AM
What is the default? I've always manually saved them to my own destinations ( I find it a bit antiquated that you have to manually type in the file extension, . jpg, . png and so forth, used to it now though).

You type the file extension? Must be a windows error.

jboudreau
04-08-2015, 07:53 AM

That's strange, I'm on a PC here (Windows 7) and I don't have to type in the extensions. I just click on file, saveRGBA, LW_PNG32(.png) and then type in the name image (no extention) It saves the file off as image.png

Hope this helps

Thanks
Jason

lightscape
04-08-2015, 08:06 AM
its a windows error. I've had that bug sometimes. Probably some shell extension twilight zone from Microsoft.

jboudreau
04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
its a windows error. I've had that bug sometimes. Probably some shell extension twilight zone from Microsoft.

Can you describe the process you need where you need to type in the extension. I'm on windows and I don't have too. So it's not a windows error.

Thanks,
Jason

djwaterman
04-08-2015, 08:16 AM
What you described is what I always thought should happen, at some point in the past I got used to doing it that way because at some point in the past I had to, but if I don't then that's fantastic. I'm rendering right now so can't check if this is the case now on my machine.

lightscape
04-08-2015, 08:24 AM
It is a windows shell extension error of some sort. I've had it even when saving in photoshop, etc.
In lightwave its when the renders saved to disk by F10 are saved without an extension or a manual save from F9.
Had to fix the registry as I recall.

jboudreau
04-08-2015, 08:32 AM
It is a windows shell extension error of some sort. I've had it even when saving in photoshop, etc.
In lightwave its when the renders saved to disk by F10 are saved without an extension or a manual save from F9.
Had to fix the registry as I recall.

Hmmm, I just tried it with F10 and F9 manually and both worked without having to type in the extension. Not sure why you needed to fix the registry. Also works saving in Photoshop too. I just click save as, type in the filename ex (box) choose .png from the drop down list and it saves as box.png

Very Strange why it isn't working for others.

Thanks,
Jason

spherical
04-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Yep. No extension needed here on three workstations, through ten versions of LightWave.

shrox
04-08-2015, 04:06 PM

I had it that problem in LW7, I don't think I've seen it since then.