PDA

View Full Version : The guys from The F***ry are communicating

Curly_01
04-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Hi,

If there is something that bothers us all. It's the lack of communication about where the product is going. That bothers me a lot.:devil:
Take an example on the guys from Otoys Octane render and Lux*l*g* M*d*. The guys from Octane render have released a year in advance their roadmap for the software. They asked what the users wanted, did a poll and released a roadmap. Now the guys from Lux*l*g* Mo** are communicating about what their doing with their software even before the release of their final version of the software. Communication is an essential part of marketing and to keep the fire burning. No communication drives people mad and angry. Take an example on the way your competitors communicate Newtek. No communication is no option.

I really like Lightwave and will keep using it for years to come, but no communication is no option for me.
Keep the fire burning and keep people interested in Lightwave.

OnlineRender
04-07-2015, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't class that as communication of the nature you are talking about, I see it as a glorified feature release with human interaction :) all scripted, all planned.

also the same octane [3] will be coming to LW.

lightscape
04-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Its a an early reveal. But it works to get momentum before the official launch. Brad is marketing master as usual.

prometheus
04-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi,

If there is something that bothers us all. It's the lack of communication about where the product is going. That bothers me a lot.:devil:
Take an example on the guys from Otoys Octane render and Lux*l*g* M*d*. The guys from Octane render have released a year in advance their roadmap for the software. They asked what the users wanted, did a poll and released a roadmap. Now the guys from Lux*l*g* Mo** are communicating about what their doing with their software even before the release of their final version of the software. Communication is an essential part of marketing and to keep the fire burning. No communication drives people mad and angry. Take an example on the way your competitors communicate Newtek. No communication is no option.

I really like Lightwave and will keep using it for years to come, but no communication is no option for me.
Keep the fire burning and keep people interested in Lightwave.

No communication ..is simply no communication, and most likely ..bad communication...but that is open for a discussion, if we can communicate properly :D

Agreed..I think it probably became a backlash in communication, and with regards to the core history and the newtek lightwave division previously discussing what was about to arrive..and when after it changed they got a bit too scared to enclose the roadmap...I think they need to find a good balance on how to communicate the roadmap vs being too secret about it and not promise more than what they can deliver.

I havenīt been too excited either about the way the communication or showcase of the roadmap has been presented, I can just hope they improve on that part, along with lightwave itself further down the road...if theres a map to follow that is.
I reserve my comments for these forums, how the lightwave team communicates through facebook? I really donīt know..it may just be the case that the lightwave team might enclose more about the roadmap that way and through other social media..and if such I have missed it.

One thing that might be for consideration, revealing to much might actually give away development status and direction to the compitition, not necessary a good thing.

But Thereīs nothing wrong to put such communication in to newsletters though...if it exists that is.
I think this kind of discussion already have been talked about a lot in other threads though.

Michael

bazsa73
04-07-2015, 12:28 PM
I can't blame NT for being incommunicative after the CORE fiasco but this latest complete and utter silence before the release of 2015 felt like some sort of punishment.

gerry_g
04-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Looks more like a sales pitch than communication in the reaching out sense of the word, besides up until now they had said nothing of the impending release of 901 so how does that differ from LWG's strategy to date ?

hrgiger
04-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Im all in favor of LW3DG improving their communication efforts but what the Foundry is doing is not communication, its a pre-release. It also appears to me that they couldnt release the software as early as they planned to so theyre putting out this 'reveal' to tide users over to make it seem as nothing is amiss.

And for me personally, its somewhat silly to expect a company to reveal the roadmap to their yet to be released software as things could change. But LW3DG needs to be better about having a dialogue with their users about possible directions for the future.

cresshead
04-07-2015, 06:31 PM
901 will probably be released on or around the day that the new owners of the the foundry and Modo are announced.

make a big splash rather than a ripple.

vonpietro
04-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Please let us know where lw is going newtek

Surrealist.
04-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Classify this however you want. But the feature list looks awesome. And the rendering is even getting some love:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/modo-901-exclusive-tech-sneak-peek/

Wickedpup
04-08-2015, 01:55 AM
It also appears to me that they couldnt release the software as early as they planned to so theyre putting out this 'reveal' to tide users over to make it seem as nothing is amiss.
Or they knew that integrating MeshFusion would not go well with some users, so they gave them a heads up ( as stated). But that is all in the eyes of the beholder... :rolleyes:

Netvudu
04-08-2015, 06:08 PM
The feature list looks awesome? Frankly, I thought the Modo 901 release this was the most "meh" release for a package in years! Looking more like a point upgrade than a full version.

EDIT: Apparently, and from what Iīm reading, even users at the Modoīs forums are already labeling it as "more of a stability release than a feature release".

cresshead
04-08-2015, 07:38 PM
they havn't shown all the features it's just "part 1"

but for part 1 the big thing is putting in the mesh fusion plugin..all the other stuff is "meh- hmmm" mostly.
let's see part 2 and maybe part 3 and 4 before we say it's a big/small update.

the price of modo 901 has gone up $300 btw...did you notice that?
yeh it's $1795 for 901 not $1495

hrgiger
04-08-2015, 08:16 PM
the price of modo 901 has gone up $300 btw...did you notice that?
yeh it's $1795 for 901 not $1495

Yes, just noticed.

cyroz
04-08-2015, 11:52 PM
The price is unchanged

From the Foundry sneak peak :
- mesh fusion (seems to be a new version)
- progressive baking
- uv tools enhancements (udim, transfert, packing...)
- multi res sculpting with layers
- modeling enhancements (topo sym, split and knife, quad fill....)
- much more to come

according to the FxGuide article :
- MIS
- GTR BRDF shader
- Adaptive Light Sample Allocation

And in an article at develop3d.com :
"The announcement promised that Modo 901 will deliver more than 100 new features at its full launch later this spring with functionality impacting the entire content creation process across all disciplines, including modeling, texturing, animation and rendering."

So imo, 901 is not a point upgrade, time will tell, but it seems to me it will be a big release.

hrgiger
04-09-2015, 12:35 AM
The price is unchanged

No.

http://www.provideocoalition.com/the-foundry-unveils-modo-901

jwiede
04-09-2015, 01:39 PM
No.

http://www.provideocoalition.com/the-foundry-unveils-modo-901

You're both right/wrong: The pricing for new license seats went up ($1795, apparently mostly a reflection of licensing MF). The pricing for license upgrades to 901 are the same as they were for 801.

jboudreau
04-09-2015, 02:01 PM
You're both right/wrong: The pricing for new license seats went up ($1795, apparently mostly a reflection of licensing MF). The pricing for license upgrades to 901 are the same as they were for 801.

Yeah, plus you can buy modo 801 at $1495 and get a free upgrade to 901 when it ships saving you $300 and getting mesh fusion in the process.

Thanks
Jason