WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 07:16 AM
still growing:

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 07:16 AM
last one:

RiGLEY
12-03-2003, 07:22 AM
The first pic is my favourite ! So cute !

xtrm3d
12-03-2003, 07:23 AM
the first one is the best .. sign me in :-)
but no thx you .. i would not have any use for the last pics :-)

ghopper
12-03-2003, 07:47 AM
cute dog ;)

in the last image, what is in the water bowl, doesn't look like water more like beer, or did he pee in it because you didn't give him something nice ;)

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ghopper
cute dog ;)

in the last image, what is in the water bowl, doesn't look like water more like beer, or did he pee in it because you didn't give him something nice ;)

He gets one beer a week....it's theone treat that we both really like :)

Karmacop
12-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Wow, your dog has some really hairy feet ... oh wait, they're yours! :p

It was a very cute pup, and now it's a scary dog ;) How long till you animate him growing in size at a speedy rate? :p

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 08:09 AM
I keep saying I'm going to model him but have been too busy too :(

Werner
12-03-2003, 08:09 AM
wow! very cool

Do you only have the one?

WilliamVaughan
12-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Werner
wow! very cool

Do you only have the one?

One is all I can handle....With Jack(my puppy) and my wife I'm swamped at home :)

Werner
12-03-2003, 08:33 AM
lol I know what you mean! My cat and wife will be my downfall...in a very good way :)

I'm buying a house next year, so a dog will be the next step for me.

HenkDawson
12-03-2003, 09:34 AM
That's one cute dog - enjoy!

HowardM
12-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Nice Puppy! Where is the wireframe? :)

Check mine out and help save the dogs! - http://www.3DInk.com/saveCyan

policarpo
12-03-2003, 11:22 AM
heheh....very cute pup....

badllarma
12-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by proton
One is all I can handle....With Jack(my puppy) and my wife I'm swamped at home :)

:D
used to have 4 now down to 1 (used to work outdoors) different dogs for different jobs so to speak.
Go down and look after a friends place once a year they have 6 (3 indoors and 3 in kennels) plus the 3 kids!! I go down and just look after the 7 dogs though (6 + 1 of my own) the kids go away with them thank god! :D

Rei
12-03-2003, 12:44 PM
I got 6 cats!

cats are much better than dogs, i really dont like dogs at all (probably because i get attacked on my ppr round by them all the time!)

Meaty
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Don't be confused by the second picture. It is all about scale. Each Proton foot measures 3 feet in length!!! :D

little5points
12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
We have a chocolate lab, too

I don't think there's anything he won't eat. Thank god for Bitter Apple spray :)

BeeVee
12-04-2003, 01:48 AM
I got quite excited by your first phrase - I though you had a laboratory and were busy thinking up new flavours of chocolate, mixing new strains of bean and the like. I got quite misty-eyed and then I realised... you were talking about a dog.

B

omeone
12-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Or is he just fake tan? mmm chocolate lab...

colkai
12-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by proton

Please tell me that isn't a Chocolate Labrador ;)

If it is - have you had one before? If not - can I just say - "Hold on thar big fella..you're in for a fun ride!"

Glad to see you cage him - if you value your house you need to, though it's hard to imagine our ever having a cage now, he chills out in the kitchen at night, patrols the house during the day.

I have a Black Lab, nearly 6 - mental age of 10 months, on good day. :D

They are real hard work, hair gets everywhere, and I do mean *everywhere*, totally out to lunch. The soppiest, most affectionate mutt going, and boy do they make you smile.
After a cr*p day at work, he can always make me grin, enjoy, but be firm, they will always find a way of surprising you.

colkai
12-04-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by little5points
We have a chocolate lab, too

I don't think there's anything he won't eat. Thank god for Bitter Apple spray :)

Ahh yes - Labradors and food - so many stories, so little time ;)

On the good side, he loves fruit and veg so his teeth are really clean and he gets plenty of vitamins. Come to think of it, he probably eats healthier than we do! :D

Here he is 'scouting' through the bracken...

WilliamVaughan
12-04-2003, 08:02 AM
good looking dog...I can't wait till Jack will lay down next to me while I watch a movie...right now he is just to excited all the time to chill :)

colkai
12-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Err, Proton...
Don't know how to break this to ya buddy... but... he's gonna be like that for at least 3 years ;)

Shadz (aka peabrain) took years to calm down, and that was following 2 years of heavy training.
Of course, now, he likes nothing more than 'flumping' across your lap whilst watching TV.

Just pray no dog adverts come on though, 'cause then they launch at the TV - with no thought as to where the paws may fall ..Ouch !!

It's amazing to think he is from a highly successful field dog line, though when you get him into the woodlands, it sure does come out.
Best thing you can do for a Lab, keep it mentally occupied, we use the treat-toys that they have to work at. Physically, well, let's just say he likes to sit a lot, though he prefers lying down :D

xtrm3d
12-05-2003, 06:29 AM
hehhe now , itīs my turn....
allow me to present you .."bounty" our 4th familly member ..
from small 2 month old puppy to 3,5 year old monster golden retriever ...
my only sadness .. is since my son is old enough to play with him.. my dog tend to spend more play time with him as with me..lol

:p

WilliamVaughan
12-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Awesome looking dog.....not sure about the pic in the lower left corner. any suggestions on training Jack?

xtrm3d
12-05-2003, 07:07 AM
not sure about the pic in the lower left corner
me too.. he was happy .. dont ask why.. itīs a french dog ..lol

concerning the training..
my only sugestion would be .. a big portion of love , and a strong voice.. .. never slap cause .. just getting him firmly on the floor.. with you on top of him.. then he would know that you are the boss !! ..
have fun ...
lol

Maxx
12-05-2003, 07:13 AM
proton - highly recommend actual training classes. Most obedience schools will let you sit in on a class or two - go in without Jack and see what the other dogs are like, how the instructors handle the dogs and their parents, etc. Biggest thing is that a good obedience school should train the parents almost as much as the dogs - if it's a comfy environment, go for it! Ours took a full 8 week course and passed with flying colors! She's forgotten most of it by now, but I think that's probably mostly the fault of my wife and me :p

Cute pup, btw!

badllarma
12-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Hi all well I'll step in here as an exgamekeeper used to train gundogs as part of my job :D

The first thing is to start with the basics
Sit, walking to heal and stay.

The real one people seem to have problems with is walking to heal.
Firstly always walk the dog yourself or your partner, never let anyone else walk it until full trained. The main thing is when walking the dog every time it pulls on the lead give it a sharp yank back with the command "HEAL" or what every is the current command in your country :) forgot this is international.

Trust me you will get tired of doing it before the dog stops pulling BUT keep doing it don't give up they will get it eventually! The dog has got to learn every time it's on the lead it has not got to pull.
The flip side of this coin is always let the dog have some play time as well off the lead to get it's energy burnt off, so long as will come back that is!
The main thing is EVERY TIME it's on the lead if it pulls yank it back the whole thing is about consistancy! If the dog knows EVERY TIME its on the lead it has to walk by the owner and not pull, it will do. If the owner only does it when there in the mood for a little training your in big trouble as your sending out mixed messages.

They should get the general idea after a week or two but you have got to keep it up.
BTW It takes in general 2 years to train a fully working gundog (they are usually about 3 before I take them onto a shoot day) even then they only get half a day for the first few outings).

Sit is a easy one usually starts using bribery , EG sit and you'll get the piece of toast or sweet if they don't know how to the first few time place your hand on there backend thumb and fore fingerdown each side of the body and gently push and give the command at the same time "SIT". They usually get this one very quickly as they get rewarded.

Stay......sort out the above two then get back to me :D
A few last couple of things out of all the Labs the brown are the thickest and will take a lot of work. But it's your arms(or your partners) so I'd really work on the walking to heal !

They also are prone to putting weight on very quickly so keep the treats to a minimum in the long term you will be doing it a favor as in 99% of cases the first major problem with labs that can result in death or being put down is there hips go on the backend this is majorly brought on with excess weight. You have all been warned!!
Also keep an eye on their ears as they are prone to this as well as soon as there shaking there heads and scratching there ears a lot get the drops from the vet.

hope this helps
sorry for the long message all
andy

colkai
12-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
[B]Hi all well I'll step in here as an exgamekeeper used to train gundogs as part of my job :D

The first thing is to start with the basics
Sit, walking to heal and stay.

Totally agree, if you can keep him at your side, or make him stay where you want, then the whole control thing is a given.

The flip side of this coin is always let the dog have some play time as well off the lead to get it's energy burnt off, so long as will come back that is!

One of the things our trainer did was the return as 'basics'. Call him in, with a *small* treat for encouragement. Once he's in, praise him, make a fuss.
Then start to walk backwards as you call him in, to make sure he is going to return even if you move.
Also, *never* grab him if he zooms past, do *not* go after him, simply proffer the treat and call him in again, drag out the "in" like "iii--iinnn" when he returns to you, even if it takes 5 damn minutes ;) praise him, he just did good. The last thing he did was obey you, ignore the 10 minutes of manic dashing around prior to this :p

If you call them, get frustrated, then punish them when they finally return, they think they are being punished for returning to you. It's all very confusing for them.

The main thing is EVERY TIME it's on the lead if it pulls yank it back the whole thing is about consistancy!
If the owner only does it when there in the mood for a little training your in big trouble as your sending out mixed messages.

Amen and then some - dogs react to consistent behaviour, they don't understand why one day you want one thing, then another.

Sit is a easy one usually starts using bribery , EG sit and you'll get the piece of toast or sweet if they don't know how to the first few time place your hand on there backend thumb and fore fingerdown each side of the body and gently push and give the command at the same time "SIT". They usually get this one very quickly as they get rewarded.

..and he's a lab so where food is concerned, they are doubly quick ;)

They also are prone to putting weight on very quickly so keep the treats to a minimum in the long term you will be doing it a favor as in 99% of cases the first major problem with labs that can result in death or being put down is there hips go on the backend this is majorly brought on with excess weight.

Very true, too often you see overweight Labs. contrary to popular belief, they should not be a round wobbly creature. Especially those from field dog lines, in fighting fit mode, Shadow is very slim, whilst training, adjust the meals to take acoount for the added treats they get and don't be afraid to skip the odd meal.
Also, do not train when they have just been fed, trust me, they won't be bothered, do it when they are hungry, it sure focusses their attention.

On the subject of sweets & treats, *never* give them human sweets, for example chocolate is a poison to them, our vet has had more than one ill dog from too much sweets. There are plenty of different textured and flavoured dog treats to reward them with. Usually, the smellier it is, the more they love it.

Proton, your comment about lying down watching a film, it was only later, talking to my wife, I realised we had said the same thing, it really didn't ever feel like it would happen! It will though, as I type, Shadz is curled up at my feet, waiting for Jill to finish her jobs, acting like he's dying of starvation because it's 10 minutes past tea-time :D

Ohh...the inhumanity of it all...