PDA

View Full Version : making splash shapes

sadkkf
04-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Hi--

I'm trying to make splash shapes like the ones in the attached image, but am having a hard time with it. I've been playing with fluids in Blender and cool as it is, they're hard to control. Hypervoxels in LW seem okay, but really don't provide enough randomness and realism for me either.

Any ideas? I only need solid texturing so no water or anything fancy.

Thanks!

Fsoto
04-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Modo has a splash kit: The Splash kit for MODO consists of meshes, materials, environments and assemblies – along with informative tutorials about their use for creating images with realistic splashes, drops and puddles. You have total control over shapes, color, lighting and camera position to create one-of-a-kind (and royalty-free) liquid imagery.

cheers.

sadkkf
04-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Modo has a splash kit: The Splash kit for MODO consists of meshes, materials, environments and assemblies – along with informative tutorials about their use for creating images with realistic splashes, drops and puddles. You have total control over shapes, color, lighting and camera position to create one-of-a-kind (and royalty-free) liquid imagery.

cheers.

That's a really neat idea, but looks a little pricey. I don't own Modo and think a trial version would expire before I could get the hang of this.

prometheus
04-07-2015, 08:03 AM
perhaps try metaballs in modeler, blends like voxels, but you can freeze and further tweak model and refine the geometry as you want.

Svenart
04-07-2015, 08:24 AM
I think blender could do this job pretty good. I created this with blender + lightwave + octane some months ago for fun. It was easy but of course takes some time to achive good quality.

http://svenart.de/3d/paint2014.jpg

prometheus
04-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I think blender could do this job pretty good. I created this with blender + lightwave + octane some months ago for fun. It was easy but of course takes some time to achive good quality.

http://svenart.de/3d/paint2014.jpg

Makes me want to start paint with real life colors again :)

Fsoto
04-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Good job Svenart!

sadkkf
04-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes, very nice work! I am going to need more specific shapes, though. I can't believe it's this hard to produce.

Netvudu
04-07-2015, 04:24 PM
although this video is Modo, I think most techniques used there are perfectly doable in Lightwave

https://youtu.be/C4M81zhFaO4

allabulle
04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Pretty interesting link, thanks Netvudu!

Ztreem
04-07-2015, 05:39 PM
although this video is Modo, I think most techniques used there are perfectly doable in Lightwave

Exactly what I was about to suggest, just model it by hand. Instead of sitting days trying to get dynamics/ fluids to produce what you are after. Spend one day model it instead. It so easy to loose time when you are dealing with dynamics, its so hard to control in an efficient way.

djwaterman
04-07-2015, 11:52 PM

Unfortunately while we can do that kind of modeling in LW we can't have a screen up at the same time viewing the camera angle against the concept art.

prometheus
04-08-2015, 04:32 AM
3dpowers metamesh would probably be a good tool to invest in, would be easy I reckon to blend som base geotype to get what is needed, otherwise, start with some points and metaballs to get mainshape, then use modify tools to tweak it.

Michael

Waves of light
04-08-2015, 04:45 AM
Using the methods in the Blender video, coupled with Magic Bevel and 3dpowers Metamesh plugin... I think that could be doable.

MonroePoteet
04-08-2015, 06:58 AM
It may not meet your needs regarding realism, but you might be able to use ClothFX on a mesh sheet and an Animation Path wind dynamic object. The sample scene was built using a "red water sheet" with the thin cotton template and maneuvered with the wind animation path. The sheet was then cloned, onto which a procedural clip map was added to makes holes / splashes, a procedural displacement to offset it from the original, and the ClothFX parameters were modified to have it lag the original.

Note that you need to go into the Object=>Properties=>FX tab and press "Calculate" to calculate the wind effects on the cloth to see the effect.

Might be worth playing with to see if you can get what you want. The handles on the wind animation path can be used to change the path, and probably a weight map could make the splashes leave the path a bit more.

mTp

JoePoe
04-08-2015, 11:06 AM
mTp.... cool!!

I just rolled up my sleeves and dove in (pun intended :))

about a half hours worth. It's a start.
Granted the little niblets I didn't do could be a pain in the neck.....

127783 127784

I guess it all depends on how many you need.
Modeling could get you a couple +. If you need dozens.... yikes.

zardoz
04-08-2015, 07:54 PM
you can create a rough shape in lightwave, export to .obj and import in Sculptris. it's for free but I have used it in the past to create stuff like this and it's amazing.