PDA

View Full Version : Pollygon problem

LW Padawan
04-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Hello! My pollygons are having a problem. This is a STL. file and when I emported it the pollys did this. Check the pics! I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much!

beverins
04-06-2015, 12:51 PM
You're referring to the triangulation?

Dexter2999
04-06-2015, 01:16 PM
STL files work with Tri's (three point polys) as far as I know. You may (or may not) be aware that a three point poly cannot be "non-planar".

There is nothing wrong in those pic's.

However, your spelling of the word polygon is a different story. (One "l", not two.)

Chrusion
04-06-2015, 01:18 PM
STL is a triangles-only format, just like 3DS. If you're referring to the random nature of triangulation, that's just par for the course. I'd simply run the Tri-gons plugin, which attempts to merge triangle pairs into quads. It does a rather decent job, leaving a handful of quards that need to be triangulated and manually merged with the correct neighboring tri.

STL export from most nurbs and vector based apps will have strange side/segment counts on tubular shapes, especially when they transition or boolean into another tubular shape. You can see this happening in your example where a tri or two have vertices that don't coincide with neighboring edge loops.