PDA

View Full Version : LWSN Rendering with Octane - Anyone doing this?

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 08:08 AM
So we purchased a standalone + lw plugin of Octane. We have been trying to get the network rendering to work and have had no luck. Seems Octane licensing is as tight and obstructive as it can get!

At this moment all I want to do is have a activated license for my workstation and use my workstation as a network node controlled by Butterfly. The demo worked perfectly in my tests, so we purchased!

Anyone with similar setup care to share how to get this working? We understand (Now) that additional NODES will need the entire combo package of standalone and lw plug to render correctly...that sucks but whatever... At this point just want my workstation to render across network and be managed for multiple scenes by Butterfly.

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:26 AM
At this point just want my workstation to render across network and be managed for multiple scenes by Butterfly.

Butterfly can render across the network with lightwave with no limitation with its built in renderer. Have you tested that by itself? Is it working with lightwave's built in renderer? After that you can test with octane if everything is working.
As you stated you need to have additional combo package for octane if you intend to render across a network using any render manager.
If you don't have additional licenses then you can't render across a network with octane because its per seat or one combo package = one render license.

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 08:30 AM
I'll assume you didn't get through the entire original message.

1. Yes we have Butterfly rendering native LW no problem.
2. Yes we have Butterfly rendering Octane Demo, no adjustments needed.
3. We have Octane license for the workstation/node I'm wanting to render with Butterfly/LWSN on.

So question still stands, anyone with a working LWSN Octane setup they would like to share? I have been working with Otoy on their forums and the Octane developer but no one has an answer for me as of yet.

Anyone here?

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:32 AM
You don't have an additional license so what's the point?
Remember you need two of each combo to do any sort of network rendering.

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 08:34 AM
You don't have an additional license so what's the point?

So the workstation that is licenesed is not considered licenesed for network rendering while not in use?

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:40 AM
So the workstation that is licenesed is not considered licenesed for network rendering while not in use?

A workstation even if its not in use still has an active license of both standalone and the plugin. If you render using bnr on that workstation then that's not really network rendering is it? That's just like rendering with another layout open and using render Q.
Now if you want to send that scene to another workstation then that's network rendering and you need additional combo license for that.

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:42 AM
For octane its better to buy a rig with multiple titans. That's like having a small render farm at no additional cost for octane licenses.
Use render Q with it.

beverins
04-06-2015, 08:46 AM
As far as I know, since you are using LWSN to do the rendering, you would need to buy Octane + LW licenses for each node.

Press them on the possibility of them making a floating license version, otherwise you're stuck with logging into each node, then logging into both Octane and LWOctane to get your node-locked license (though you would only have to do this once).

Each of your nodes would need the same (or better) Nvidia card as well, since Octane is a GPU renderer.

I don't know what kind of budget you have, but maybe an external PCI-express box filled with Nvidia cards would render on Octane faster than via a renderfarm...? My thinking is you would be making a "renderfarm of GPUs" controlled by the one machine. I don't know how the Octane license scales out to a multi-GPU system though - does the license have a limitation on a "GPU farm"?

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 08:47 AM
For octane its better to buy a rig with multiple titans. That's like having a small render farm at no additional cost for octane licenses.
Use render Q with it.

Ok that makes sense...I guess. Hadn't thought of it that way. Wow, totally missed Render Q, where did that come from? We have always used Butterfly and this didn't cross our radar ever...probably been here in LW for a while now...lol. That could work for sure. Was only looking to manage multiple scenes during a weekend or overnight. Would love to have even more power in my current machine for IPR and final rendering. I'll hit the boss up! lol.

Thanks.

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
As far as I know, since you are using LWSN to do the rendering, you would need to buy Octane + LW licenses for each node.

Press them on the possibility of them making a floating license version, otherwise you're stuck with logging into each node, then logging into both Octane and LWOctane to get your node-locked license (though you would only have to do this once).

Each of your nodes would need the same (or better) Nvidia card as well, since Octane is a GPU renderer.

I don't know what kind of budget you have, but maybe an external PCI-express box filled with Nvidia cards would render on Octane faster than via a renderfarm...? My thinking is you would be making a "renderfarm of GPUs" controlled by the one machine. I don't know how the Octane license scales out to a multi-GPU system though - does the license have a limitation on a "GPU farm"?

12 gpus per combo license afaik.

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 08:50 AM

Yea that's been mentioned to me on Otoy's forum and here as well, as far as multiple GPU's in one machine. What I wasn't getting across to anyone was the fact that we need to manage several scenes for that one render node...so using LWSN and network controller was the only way I thought.

Lightscape on this thread reminded me (actually didn't know about it in the first place) about Render Q a way to manage multiple scenes on the one machine I have licensed. Not perfect..but might still work I think.

beverins
04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Perhaps something like this to consider - http://www.renegatt.com/products.php - they say they support Octane

and this would be an example of a PCI expander rig built for this very purpose - http://www.cubixgpu.com/xpander-desktop - though this looks more expensive than DIY pieces off newegg (though you do get a warranty / support with this)

it all comes down to what your budget is.

beverins
04-06-2015, 08:57 AM
I think you could very well use Butterflynet as a render manager for the one machine as long as you only run one instance - i.e. - don't try to run, say, 4 jobs on the same machine at the same time. I think that's where Octane's licensing gets in your way - they don't allow you to run more than one job on the same machine. ,<edit> - by 4 jobs on the same machine, I am referring to actually rendering 4 jobs. You should be able to queue up as many jobs as you want, as long as you are only rendering 1 frame at a time.

lightscape
04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
If bnr already works for lightwave's built in renderer in the same machine then it should work for octane on the same machine. No network rendering involved ofcourse.

But this is more to do with bnr not with octane. Maybe bnr can't find the license files for octane and copy it to its bnr config. Contact bnr.
I have octane working perfectly with screamernet now to que up scenes but it was a pain to setup screamernet.

beverins
04-06-2015, 09:13 AM
On the concurrency aspect of a renderfarm, I did find mention on OTOY's forum concerning Nuke... however I think this would be the same with any system that uses Octane - https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42440 Basically, their renderer looks like it might be limited to doing 1 frame at a time on any given node from an operational standpoint.

A way to check this would be to run two copies of Lightwave, load different scenes and try to Octane render them both at the same time. I'll bet they fail. Every renderfarm software I've used defaults to trying to render more than one frame at the same time on any given node because CPUs can handle that... and in fact you get some performance benefits by doing that. Force BNR to just do one frame at a time; since BNR probably doesn't know what a GPU is, you'll have to make it render only 1 frame at a time - that's the only thing I can think of as to why it wouldnt work

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 09:15 AM
If bnr already works for lightwave's built in renderer in the same machine then it should work for octane on the same machine. No network rendering involved ofcourse.

But this is more to do with bnr not with octane. Maybe bnr can't find the license files for octane and copy it to its bnr config. Contact bnr.
I have octane working perfectly with screamernet now to que up scenes but it was a pain to setup screamernet.

We'll I've been told by Octane developer and manual I need an octane_node.cfg with LiveID and Password on the root drive of anything from C - > Z on the machine I want to render with. I have this setup and LWSN sees the file and reads the contents and Octane itself has a problem authenticating with the servers of sorts.... Not a BNR issue, they wouldn't have a clue (Paul's great) about this, it's def an issue with Octane trying to authenticate. Must be related to what you said earlier, that my workstation is already licensed and would have to de-activate that to network render on it.

Oh well...for the time being I will use Render Q and look at the solution that was posted here about GPU external box..looks interesting! Not to exceed 12 GPUS of course! Dang those pesky Otoy license gurus... :)

vonpietro
04-06-2015, 02:13 PM
whats render q?

tcoursey
04-06-2015, 02:37 PM
whats render q?

It's inside lightwave and it allows you to Q up scenes and render them all on one machine. It doesn't have any features really...unlike a true render manager but does allow you to place multiple scenes inside the Q and press F10...each scene loads up and renders with whatever render settings are saved with each scene. Very simple...but can get the job done I guess.

It's originally under Render Tab at bottom...