PDA

View Full Version : Layout 2015.2 Crashes Computer When Rendering Scene

Dakota Joe
04-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I'm having a problem where Layout 2015.2 crashes my computer when I render the attached scene. Feels like a memory leak in Layout since it crashes the computer and not just Layout.

I've deleted all of my config files so they were freshly recreated.

I've done the following on the model:
Merged all points.
Model only contains quads or triangles so there is nothing non-plainer
I've copied all layers into another lwo file

I'm running on the following PC:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz
32 GB System Memory
Video Quadro K4000

C Drive 111 GB SSD
D Drive 2.72 TB

Could someone try rendering the attached scene to see if they get the same thing? I had to remove the texture files since the file would be too large to attach.

Thanks!

spherical
04-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I'll give it a test. I assume that the scene still acts the same way with the textures removed?

Dakota Joe
04-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for looking spherical. I just tried the version in the .rar file I attached to my post that didn't have the textures and it didn't crash when I rendered out the 50 frames. I created that by doing a "Package Scene" in Layout but deleted all images in the "Image" folder when I created the attached .rar file.

Since it didn't crash, I rendered again with the textures and it also rendered without any issues. Very odd but now it's working. I'm glad it's working but I wish I new how "Package Scene" got it to work.

Thanks again for looking.

Dakota Joe
04-04-2015, 11:00 PM

I spoke too soon. I went in and changed the light type to area moved the camera and the full system crash is back. It's crashing when I've removed all of the textures that I have in this attachment. Any advice would be appreciated.

spherical
04-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Both version 2 and 3 render fine. 1.2s for v2 and 4.6s for v3.

jwiede
04-06-2015, 11:03 AM

I spoke too soon. I went in and changed the light type to area moved the camera and the full system crash is back. It's crashing when I've removed all of the textures that I have in this attachment. Any advice would be appreciated.

You said it is crashing the computer, what OS is the computer running? Also, do you mean it is causing a BSoD (Win) / kernel panic (OSX)? If so, what is the cited component where the crash occurred, in the BSoD / panic?

If not causing a BSoD / panic, what is occurring? If it's just resetting, it is possible your system is overheating and going into thermal shutdown or similar, though recent OSes try to show BSoD / panic for those (upon reboot, if not before).