PDA

View Full Version : animated lines effect

Otterman
04-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Hi There

Need some friendly forum advise. We are looking to produce a launch similar to the one below. It is essentially using a growing lines effect. Am I able to animate lines of geometry in a similar way. On a static frame its easy using masks in after effects but with something animated it's a whole different ball game. Any fancy method or plug in that will enable this in lightwave?

heres the link to the vid, the effect kicks off at around 4mins in. It' pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz2C7_nU1jw

ernpchan
04-03-2015, 05:36 AM
Just brainstorming....

If your lines are tubes you could try an image sequence on the transparency/clip map channel that's applied via a uv.

Or a procedural texture if the reveal doesn't have to "draw" the lines in a linear fashion.

Otterman
04-03-2015, 05:47 AM
I'm having to use cad and the model is pretty complex. Similar to what is shown. Was wondering if i can animate the 'edges' using the node editor or if DP has a solution. I can do some effects using after effects but wondering if lightwave can do something more organic.

Any experience with this? You think nodes would cut it?

jwiede
04-03-2015, 12:16 PM
LW2015 added some edge rendering functionality, didn't it? Not sure how well it works in Mac, but might be worth a look.

ernpchan
04-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm having to use cad and the model is pretty complex. Similar to what is shown. Was wondering if i can animate the 'edges' using the node editor or if DP has a solution. I can do some effects using after effects but wondering if lightwave can do something more organic.

Any experience with this? You think nodes would cut it?

You can access the opacity of lines via the node editor. How to control the reveal for a specific animation, that part I'm not sure.

gerry_g
04-03-2015, 01:20 PM
works great on Mac and its not a post effect, you can bake it to uv map and edit it in image editor if you want more flexibility.

bazsa73
04-03-2015, 02:29 PM
My workflow is painful but it works. Convert the edges into 2 point polys using "Create Poly Chain" command. It is under Create/Polygons/More rolldown.
Look on the Polygon Statistics panel for polys with 2 vertices. Put this 2 point polys onto a separate collector layer so things won't mess up and
when you are okey use Fertilizer 2 on it in Layout.

You will have to apply weights on these chains so the algorithm knows where to start, I dont remember if 0 or 100 is the right
value for starting points but it is written in Fertilizer's manual. Perhaps not the easiest way, some time goes into the creation of the lines
but you may do use some combination of different techniques.

Sensei
04-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Watch my video tutorial How To Render Edges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BW3jxaV00
and join it with some weight map that will control which edges of object should be showed.

gerry_g
04-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Or just use a null with a gradient set to distance to object plugged into the transparency setting for each channel, lot less pain

https://youtu.be/GySHyPx84B4

djwaterman
04-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Have you considered UV mapping the Mesh, taking that map into After Effects and drawing out specific edges (not just the object's mesh) in After effects, using 'Stroke' or some other method. Rendering that out as a sequence and mapping that onto the objects surface?

Shiny_Mike
04-03-2015, 08:48 PM
One method that's tedious, but should work. You'll need DP Kit

In modeler: (you'll want a separate mesh for every path)
Load your geo in BG layer, make curves that trace along the paths you want. The start of the curve will be where you want your "trace" to start
Take a quad and rail extrude along that path, finely segmented and uniform (make each segment roughly the length you want the animation to move per frame)
Go to the side or top view and remove the "depth" of this path, leaving only a flat face of it.
Select all points, unweld. Then select all polys and extrude .5" or so to give it some depth.
This should leave you with a mesh made of multiple "parts" with a nice sequential "part order".

In layout, load your "trace/path" mesh. Deform -> edit nodes for displacement.
Add "part info" node -> plug it into a "scalar / multiply". Set multiply to .0333 for 30fps, .04166 for 24fps.
Add "Time Lag" node. Double click and set envelopes on x,y,z for the scale: frame 0 - scale of 0.0, frame 1 - scale of 1.0. (or make it a 2-4 frame scale, whichever gives you nice results)
Add "Part Move" node, plug the 'Scale' output of "Time Lag" in 'Scale' input on "Part Move", then take 'Delta' output and plug into "Displacement" input.

To offset the timing on different "traces" you can do it via plugging a "Scalar/Add" in between the "Scalar/Multiply" output and the "Time Lag" input, set your "Scalar/Add" value to how many seconds you want the next trace delayed by. Ie, you want trace 2 to start 1.5 seconds after the first? Set that "Scalar/Add" value to 1.5

bazsa73
04-03-2015, 11:26 PM
so cool ideas! I try some of these for sure

daforum
04-04-2015, 03:15 AM
One method that's tedious, but should work. You'll need DP Kit

In modeler: (you'll want a separate mesh for every path)
Load your geo in BG layer, make curves that trace along the paths you want. The start of the curve will be where you want your "trace" to start
Take a quad and rail extrude along that path, finely segmented and uniform (make each segment roughly the length you want the animation to move per frame)
Go to the side or top view and remove the "depth" of this path, leaving only a flat face of it.
Select all points, unweld. Then select all polys and extrude .5" or so to give it some depth.
This should leave you with a mesh made of multiple "parts" with a nice sequential "part order".

In layout, load your "trace/path" mesh. Deform -> edit nodes for displacement.
Add "part info" node -> plug it into a "scalar / multiply". Set multiply to .0333 for 30fps, .04166 for 24fps.
Add "Time Lag" node. Double click and set envelopes on x,y,z for the scale: frame 0 - scale of 0.0, frame 1 - scale of 1.0. (or make it a 2-4 frame scale, whichever gives you nice results)
Add "Part Move" node, plug the 'Scale' output of "Time Lag" in 'Scale' input on "Part Move", then take 'Delta' output and plug into "Displacement" input.

To offset the timing on different "traces" you can do it via plugging a "Scalar/Add" in between the "Scalar/Multiply" output and the "Time Lag" input, set your "Scalar/Add" value to how many seconds you want the next trace delayed by. Ie, you want trace 2 to start 1.5 seconds after the first? Set that "Scalar/Add" value to 1.5

Just wondering what would the multiply setting be for 25fps?

Do you have any animated examples to show?

raw-m
04-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Or just use a null with a gradient set to distance to object plugged into the transparency setting for each channel, lot less pain

https://youtu.be/GySHyPx84B4

Nice, gerry_g!! Slow it down next time :thumbsup:

Otterman
04-04-2015, 07:56 AM
oo lot to get my head around. I suppose I need to isolate certain basic elements of my geometry (huge cad sets) and have a go. Getting these to draw like Gerry-G has shown along with some clever masking in post for the finer detail, I might just get this to work. Deadline is tight so I think this might be the quickest for me. Some fab solutions though chaps. Many thanks for chiming in!

daforum
04-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Otterman, have a look at this: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/trace-line-polygons/

I think it's a script so should work on a Mac. Could be used to grow the lines of the cad model ( with a glow added )
Hope it helps :)

raw-m
04-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Otterman, have a look at this: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/trace-line-polygons/

I think it's a script so should work on a Mac. Could be used to grow the lines of the cad model ( with a glow added )
Hope it helps :)

Would it be possible to use that as a Matte object with Render Lines set to a physical value? Haven't tried before.

daforum
04-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Just wondering what would the multiply setting be for 25fps?

Do you have any animated examples to show?

Finally i've worked something out!
The multiply setting for 25fps is .04 (1/25 = .04 ) :)

Would still like to see some animated examples!

daforum
04-05-2015, 05:19 AM
Would it be possible to use that as a Matte object with Render Lines set to a physical value? Haven't tried before.

I guess so Mark.
Haven't tried that myself, I just used the default settings to reveal a simple object as a test.

Shiny_Mike
04-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Sorry, been underwater trying to learn maya and vray (yuck! ;) ) I'll try to set up a simple example tonight or tomorrow

souzou
04-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Another possible way of doing this that would give you lots of control, would be to use particles. Parent an emitter to a null and move that null along the geometry (could it be constrained to the edges?), generating a decent amount of particles without any motion/velocity so they stay in place. That would give you a lot of control over both the look of the lines and where/how they animate in.

Might be a bit time-consuming though if you've got super-detailed geometry.

Edit: just noticed your digger model example - yeah this suggestion is not going to be very practical in this case, sorry!