PDA

View Full Version : Calling Octane Users - Need Help

tcoursey
04-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Loving Octane DEMO...looking into purchase...announced v3 stuff is incredible. However have a couple of questions for our workflow. One we like the dayLight environment but would like to animate it. It's node based and doesn't have envelopes. So is there a way to pull the current frame that is rendering do some math or something and give a new number to the node input for (Hour) or something???

Other question is how to change the material slightly for instances. We do this quite a bit in LW native with the instance info node but not sure how that could work with Octanes nodes....any thoughts?

Thanks for any input...will help me decide direction....

Tartiflette
04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Just put a scalar node (which has envelope) to the time input and you have your animated day light environment. :)

As for changing colors on instances i'm sure there is a way but i can't remember now, not using Octane much, even though i have my license of Octane 2.x.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

squarewulf
04-02-2015, 03:41 PM
There are random color nodes within octane which you can use on instances, i believe.

Also the octane LW community is pretty active and people are always willing to help with transitioning into an octane workflow.

vonpietro
04-02-2015, 04:34 PM
i want to get octane for lw - does it ever go on sale for a lower price?

squarewulf
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Not that I know of. But its really not all that expensive, it's 100% worth it.

Tartiflette
04-02-2015, 04:57 PM
It did when version 2 was released (as i wasn't feeling like upgrading at that time i didn't benefit from it but i think it was somewhat 50 or 60$ cheaper), so i guess if you're waiting for version 3 to be released (probably not before the end of this year though, if i did understand correctly) you'll have some sort of a rebate at that moment. :)

Anyway, if you're into GPU rendering (not really my cup of tea to be honest but for some work it's great to have that option) Octane is a really good render engine and JuanJo has done (and is still doing) a tremendous job on Octane for LW plugin so you shouldn't be disappointed if you buy it.

Cheers,

vonpietro
04-03-2015, 06:46 PM
I definitely think it's a good product - and I'm saving for it -hopefully by the end of the year I'll have enough to cover it. And it will be on sale.

spherical
04-03-2015, 09:07 PM
It did [on sale] when version 2 was released (as i wasn't feeling like upgrading at that time i didn't benefit from it but i think it was somewhat 50 or 60$ cheaper)

Hmmm... I've been following Octane for some time and never saw any deal when v2 was released. In fact, the effective price went a significant amount higher if you wanted plugins for other than Modo. IIRC, there used to be a plugin pack that had everything from soup to nuts, minus Modo and a Modo plugin purchased separately. Don't need Maya/3DS Max/Inventor/Revit, don't need C4D, don't need ArchiCAD, might use AutoCAD and Rhino if they work in older versions (probably not); but to get Blender and LightWave, we had to buy the whole multiple plugin package and waste 80% of it. Now, it's swung too far in the other direction. All plugins are individual purchases and no multiple plugin (choose what you need—not what you don't—for a bundled package price; depending upon how many) deals to be seen. For what we would like, it's now far more expensive.

lightscape
04-03-2015, 09:41 PM
No lower price for v2. We got the lw octane plugin free for buying in early.

jwiede
04-03-2015, 10:05 PM
All plugins are individual purchases and no multiple plugin (choose what you need—not what you don't—for a bundled package price; depending upon how many) deals to be seen. For what we would like, it's now far more expensive.

Yep, I wasn't thrilled by how Octane's pricing / sales model changed with v2. I've got Thea as well, and get much more use out of it compared to Octane. If Otoy makes Octane V3 and/or pkg plugins more expensive (again), I'll likely stick with V2. I'd like to try the new LW->Octane features in V3, but I don't _need_ to do so.

spherical
04-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Yes, that's coming back to me, now. We had a lot of other purchases/upgrades going on at the time and the buy-in for Octane was just too high; especially considering the extra cost of the other plugins we'd need.

Yep, I wasn't thrilled by how Octane's pricing / sales model changed with v2. I've got Thea as well, and get much more use out of it compared to Octane. If Otoy makes Octane V3 and/or pkg plugins more expensive (again), I'll likely stick with V2. I'd like to try the new LW->Octane features in V3, but I don't _need_ to do so.

We have Thea, too. It requires building surfaces and scenes all over again, as there is no integrated plugin. Seems that they are not too interested in creating one, either. Everything over there is SketchUp, SketchUp, SketchUp; with a bit of 3DS Max, Blender, C4D and Rhino thrown in. There was a poll a while back asking for votes on integrating with other apps, but I can't find it now. Needless to say, LightWave was down in the noise. So, that is one thing that Octane has going for it. (Go Juanjo!) Just would like to be able to fit it into the budget, which Otoy doesn't seem to be caring too much about if you aren't a big studio.

Tartiflette
04-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Yep, you're right, sorry for the misinformation, i was thinking about the LW plugin that came "for free" when Octane 2 was released and got mixed up with some rebate at that time.

Cheers,