PDA

View Full Version : Zoic, is that you?

jeric_synergy
04-01-2015, 07:56 PM
The ad is being produced by an effects shop that worked on Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, and it's edited and scored like a slick car commercial.

From this story in WIRED:
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

Mr_Q
04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Most likely but none of the people who worked on BSG and Firefly directly are at Zoic any more. (3D artist wise)

vonpietro
04-01-2015, 10:41 PM
i had the pleasure of viewing alot of the new stuff star citizen is pumping out at gnomen when they had star citizen night.

Let me tell you - what they are doing is nothing short of astounding.
The in game ships look incredible, all of them are first rate conceptual art come to life.

One thing he is doing right - is ships - and thats his main selling point right now - they are just gorgeous!

each ship is not one ship - it's 3.
The exterior - the in between superstructure and the interior.
it was explained that say you have a ship - and its components are all present in the ship - power source, shield generator, storage ect - if you come across the same ship- you know where the shield generator is -and you can TARGET that area and if you blow out that area and it destroys the shield generator - that ship loses it's shields and you can do whatever shoot it up ect.

the reason for the superstructure geometry is when you blow away the ship- it reveals superstructure in a realistic way. Its like lw acid plugin revealing under the geometry.

With this kind of detailed ability to destroy something like in the real world and have it fail realistically will provide new kinds of tactics and a benefit to the people who study ship designs and where main systems are. Although it would probably help if in your nav system you had a data base you could pull up in game that identified critical components for you to target. (they really listen to user input by the way!!)

the guys who gave the demo were all people working on the game, and they were all very very smart, you could hear it in the talk they gave which was centered on workflow with the cry engine.

One point they made was how they focus on geometry to make models and not texture maps that are baked. Thats why the game looks so darned good. - they clone rivits and things, so its one rivit placed all over the ship, not tons of rivit geometry - similar to instancing i guess.

This is one game that is going to be around for a very very long time, and it's going to surpass all other games of its type due to its unique funding methods. The guys i met in the crowd claimed they were part of a guild in game - it was more than a 1000 strong he said - unbelievable for a half finished game.

They are building it to run on graphics cards that are modest he said mid 300 range, but they let me know their own systems are titan x's. So its a next gen game for sure and it is really being made to sing on the upper echelon of graphics cards. Its a SIMULATION after all.

If you have not seen the game - and your a gamer - prepare for something special.

The guy who founded it i was told loves star wars and WWII airplanes and his design ethic is in both of those things.

so if you have some extra cash - go buy a space ship! And be prepared to be blown away!

jeric_synergy
04-02-2015, 03:02 PM
so if you have some extra cash -
And that's where you lost me. ;)

No, seriously, it looks great, I hope all the best for them. Sounds like OASIS in "Ready Player One".

jwiede
04-02-2015, 07:52 PM
This is one game that is going to be around for a very very long time, and it's going to surpass all other games of its type due to its unique funding methods.
Star Citizen's level of hype is getting a bit ridiculous, frankly. The more I hear folks extolling so far in advance (and with total certainty) how it will surpass everything, the less I believe such an outcome will occur.

vonpietro
04-02-2015, 09:58 PM
You've seen the battle damage video - how can you be an unbeliever ? That is the most sophisticated battle damage do hickey i've ever seen? Every bit of reveal is outrageously cool, It deserves the hype. Seeing is believing- and we are seeing alot of cool things- 340 people are working on i t full time. -

it sounds like you are not of the Body. Landru will be upset. =)

jeric_synergy
04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Fer gahds sake, vonpietro: "your" != "you are".

I wouldn't nitpick, but: Multiple times, dood.

--okay, I definitely would nitpick.

vonpietro
04-02-2015, 11:01 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/your

but i see the difference thanks fixed

jwiede
04-03-2015, 04:43 AM
You've seen the battle damage video - how can you be an unbeliever ? That is the most sophisticated battle damage do hickey i've ever seen?

Highly successful games are about story-telling -- as with so many other things, amazing technical details are not enough by themselves, they have to enhance immersion and story. Too often, they wind up becoming a substitute for (and/or a detraction from) immersive gameplay and involving story, because the developers let themselves become overly focused on technical aspects. I'm seeing so much about technical aspects of Star Citizen, but proportionately much, much less about story and how gameplay furthers the story. I'm just not getting much sense of the story Star Citizen is telling (or putting players into a position to create), and that just seems a bit "off", esp. considering the level of hype occurring.

Time will tell. I really hope it turns out to be a great title with story and immersion as strong as technical aspects. I really enjoy that genre of sims/games.

jeric_synergy
04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Well, "Minecraft".... I understand your point, but, and this world is going to be so large I suspect they'll need to allow users to generate campaigns and scenarios.

Just a guess. How does WoW handle this?

vonpietro
04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
YOU ASKED - and it shall be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qXEAqYIH8

generated by supply and demand - very interesting

jasonwestmas
04-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I've talked to game designers like this before. The immersion and likability of the characters and game play mechanics gets totally forgotten in games like this. Not that the system is to blame but IME the creators of such things don't fully understand what makes a game fun to play. It's not just the math and balance of statistics and money that brings success. If it is then you should be managing a baseball team I guess.

jwiede
04-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Nope, that's just macro-scale technical aspects. Jack bought the magic beans which grew into The Beanstack, but the existence of a market economy where magic beans were available isn't "story", per se.

jwiede
04-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I've talked to game designers like this before. The immersion and likability of the characters and game play mechanics gets totally forgotten in games like this.
That's my fear, as well. A major flop could also inhibit future titles in this genre for some time, which would be unfortunate.

vonpietro
04-03-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm glad they have a dynamic economy - some people like that kind of game play.

it's shaping up more to be like eve online - but super detailed.
which is fine by me.

looks like there will be lots to do-

dont forget this is being made by the guy who made wing commander - the article said the guy was very keen on story and immersion of players in the true role playing persona sense. HE hasn't forgotten that story is his main goal.

so i'm sure well start to see story stuff once they finish out the basic game design -
ship builds are selling and so thats just some of what they are concentrating on.

I think it'll make it. Its shaping up to be a grand journey and with some really quality looking spaceships
=)

they have alot of backers - and thats a healthy sign
and they listen to players - also a good sign

jeric_synergy
04-04-2015, 10:39 PM

generated by supply and demand - very interesting

That's interesting because I've often found that adding ECONOMY to a universe makes it a LOT more believable. When economic issues came up in Babylon 5, for instance, it just made the world a whole lot more concrete. The LACK of economy in ST makes the fiction there seem airy and ungrounded.

Economy also fuels plot. So, interesting.

It's like the difference between episodic TV and movies: movies tell a story, but TV creates an environment. STAR CITIZEN seems like it could be participatory TV.

vonpietro
04-04-2015, 10:41 PM
the creator of star citizen, i think is also the director of wing commander the movie - so he's got film experience.

spherical
04-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Not that it did well...

vonpietro
04-05-2015, 02:23 AM
they mentioned that in the article- but i saw it years ago (it was ok, not great)- very interesting with missiles and timing ect. Some strange parts - but i thought he did pretty good for a young director. The effect was it was submarines in space. and instead of torpedoes it was missiles, that moved like.. well torpedoes. It did however have a nice sci fi feel to it.