PDA

View Full Version : i can't figure out how to do this

a_chisholm
12-03-2003, 03:13 AM
The image attached shows a part i am trying to model. Iv'e made good progress but i'm having trouble with this certain part. I need to bend the ends that are sticking out. Iv'e drawn a plan so you can see what i'm talking about

Iv'e been working on this for a few weeks now and i'm not getting anywhere. any help is appreciated!

i'l attach the LW object in the next post

thanks,
Alistair

a_chisholm
12-03-2003, 03:16 AM
... the lwo

------->

a_chisholm
12-03-2003, 05:22 AM
I just figured it out. it was staring me in the face. the KNIFE tool let me do what is was wanting, man i feel like a plonker.

:eek:

Fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 05:50 AM
Good one.I'm an utter noob but i downloaded the file.After a bit i used the knife tool cut and pasted the bars to a new layer,rotated,moved and than copied it back.

How did you do it??

a_chisholm
12-03-2003, 06:53 AM
I used the knife tool to cut the ends. and simply moved the end polygons in a bit. It's probably not the best way to do it but it looks ok. Your way sounds better though

Fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 08:41 PM
a_chisholm

just wanted to show you what i did last night.I'm sure with a bit more tweaking it coul;d be fixed.I only did the one side as well.

SLAYER
12-03-2003, 11:31 PM
First thing is that this thing has alot of errors in it. The end polys and such have two on top of each other and alot of weird errors like that throughout. Also this thing had over 6000 polys in it!
Way overkill. You can get the same amount of detail that you were trying to achieve with much less. Some of your points for the fillets and radii were so close that they looked like one until zoomed way in on. In some cases they were on top of each other.

As for the corner on the bendy thing, it depends on how much of a radius you want and how close it will be seen. The example you had was so tight that you couldjust knofe and bend, but for real world stuff you would have some kind of edge. You could use more knife cuts or some point/edge type plug-ins and just move them.

Here is an example after copying and tweaking some of your polys to create a new version. This went from 6000 polys to 1000 polys and could be lowered to probably around 700 or 800 depending on the stuff mentioned above.

a_chisholm
12-04-2003, 03:27 AM
thanks v much. I'm grateful for your help.

fist,
that looks perfect. I will rotate mine as well.

Slayer,
i was wondering, what is the best way to reduce polys and maintain shape?

SLAYER
12-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by a_chisholm
thanks v much. I'm grateful for your help.

fist,
that looks perfect. I will rotate mine as well.

Slayer,
i was wondering, what is the best way to reduce polys and maintain shape?

Well for one it keeps things alot more simple if you ever need to move geometry like moving points around. Sometimes (rarely) I get weird shading errors or smoothing errors and such when rendered that I have attributed to geometry issues. All in all, It is just good habit and practice to do.

If for no reason, your computer will handle lower poly items way better than large poly items. with models of really high poly counts your cpu and graphics card and such will start to chug along. Huge ones it can be very hard to deal with.

mkiii
12-04-2003, 10:10 AM
One thing you might consider for a shape like this, is to slice a few more segments on or between each of those small holes to avoid shading/smoothing errors when you render.