PDA

View Full Version : How to use bump maps together with shader nodes?

eV1Te
03-29-2015, 09:13 AM
I am trying to create a brushed and hammered steel surface, for this I wanted to use the Ani-reflections node together with a procedural bump map for the hammered bumps in the surface.

The problem I ran into is that the ani-reflections node (or any other shader not for that matter) does not have an input for bump maps!

I guess I could convert the bump channel into a normal channel using some math, but I can not seem to fund any node that does this for me easily?

Is there a simpler way of using the built-in procedural bump maps together with shaders that I am missing?

RebelHill
03-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Theres a bump>normal node in dp kit.

Sensei
03-29-2015, 10:05 AM
TrueArt's Node Library has Tools > Bump To Normal node that takes either Normal & Bump inputs.
Plug your inputs to it, and output to whatever node you want.

JoePoe
03-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Use Standard material node instead of Make Material.

Plug bump straight in. :)

(in fact, in this example you don't even need the last "material" node. Everything could (if you want) go right into the surface channels.)

eV1Te
03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Use Standard material node instead of Make Material.

Plug bump straight in. :)

(in fact, in this example you don't even need the last "material" node. Everything could (if you want) go right into the surface channels.)

How do I create anisotropic reflection with the Standard materials node?

Also i need to mix this "material" with another material later on which I didnt show, hence that is why i used the Make Material node :)

JoePoe
03-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Yeah, sorry for not being clear. I meant mix it with standard material.
But in the end... realized that bump can go straight into surface independently from material node(s). Bump and Normal are the only things that can.... right?

WilliamVaughan
03-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Thought this oldie might help for multiple bumps in Node Editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqo-Hqk2M

jwiede
03-31-2015, 03:37 AM
I am trying to create a brushed and hammered steel surface, for this I wanted to use the Ani-reflections node together with a procedural bump map for the hammered bumps in the surface.

The problem I ran into is that the ani-reflections node (or any other shader not for that matter) does not have an input for bump maps!

I guess I could convert the bump channel into a normal channel using some math, but I can not seem to fund any node that does this for me easily?

Is there a simpler way of using the built-in procedural bump maps together with shaders that I am missing?

Have you considered instead trying "Specular Anistropy" node? Might give slightly better shading results, depending on the material.

That said, I've never been that thrilled at the amount of nodal effort required to produce decent material with anisotropic highlights (too much material mixing, etc. required) -- I find it much easier to produce such nuances in Vray and other engines, and IMO they come out looking more realistic and render quicker despite lesser overall effort required.

IMO, the issue is that certain LW materials need anisotropic highlight inputs as an intrinsic element, because mixing it into materials while retaining control over strength isn't trivial just using native LW nodes. Depending on the precise material node involved, getting anisotropy mixed in to look like it's "part of the surface" (as opposed to overlaid onto) can sometimes be quite finicky, further complicating the mixing setup required (IME).

Compounds help, but I still find it inefficient to have to add such nodal work on every remotely reflective material surface for proper highlights, doing so takes away from material nodes as efficient, self-contained shader solutions. If we were simply talking about including an input or not, that'd be fine, but what's actually required now is (needlessly, IMO) more complex. DP's and DB&W's nodes can make doing so much less complex (if okay with using non-native nodes).

While we're at it, LW3DG needs to provide better material mixing (with and without level controls) and splitting node operators, akin to those provided by DP, DB&W and TrueArt, but as "native" nodes. If materials are the "intent" for realistic shading in LW, it shouldn't require third-party solutions just to be able to decently augment and/or mix materials (or deal with color-space sensitivity, for that matter).

eV1Te
04-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Thank you for your help, I figured it out and I also learned that the bump channel overrides any other shader :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I also learned that it is not possible to make a realistic brushed steel material in LW without significant UV texturing effort. Since there are no simple radial procedural textures which can replicate the circular pattern seen on the end of a machined piece of metal. The only plugin which achieved this effect is no longer compatible with the current version of LW (Radial Noise by Andy Nicholas) :(

The procedural texture "ripples" can create rings, but they are completely perfect in shape with no control over line width or intenisty, tuis it can not be used for a randomised brushed look.

RebelHill
04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
perhaps this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?97454-Anisotropic-test

Sensei
04-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Since there are no simple radial procedural textures which can replicate the circular pattern seen on the end of a machined piece of metal.

But simple radial texture you can get by hand using Distance node and f.e. Sin node.. With inputs Spot Info World Spot and some Item Info World Pos..

The procedural texture "ripples" can create rings, but they are completely perfect in shape with no control over line width or intenisty, tuis it can not be used for a randomised brushed look.

But they can be used to modulate other texture parameters.

See f.e.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1uUf-vurco

Also watch this video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59zCyTPuMTw
(animated radiowave emitter)
Made by hand radial texture..

Special effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyUisagasD4
Hand made textures in nodes.