PDA

View Full Version : photo scanning into objects

vonpietro
03-27-2015, 11:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6eqW6yk50k&list=PLh9RSMSPPxfvysfUN5WC_1dIY07TDrhuV&index=154

have you guys tried this at all?

do you have alt methods to do this?

I tried it - so far, not enough images. (about 30 images) I could not get the softwares involved to resolve anything useful yet.

pretty neat - the guys who did the open world kite demo on unreal used a commercial program costing $4k.
This is the free undergrad versions in the youtube video.

=)
promising technology - and very coooool.

m.d.
03-28-2015, 12:37 AM
I've been using autodesk catch123d for a few years...it's free but you may wait 6 hours to get a model back as the computing is on the cloud...

They restrict you to about 70 images which is not bad. I have been able to scan parts to well under a 1mm accuracy to be used for 3d printing...

I have been meaning to try visual sfm....looks pretty similar, in terms of tech...but not restricted to number of images

The autodesk iPhone app is pretty neat as it helps you take the pictures and has a few spherical rings representing the pictures you took, so you know where you are lacking in coverage

I have done people before with great results...but they have to sit very still for 5 minutes
The next person I do, I want to try pulling video stills from my Epic camera and shout take less then a minute of filming

vonpietro
03-28-2015, 12:41 AM
do you know what the minimum megapixels should be?
http://www.123dapp.com/catch#download - i found this link.
is it a pc thing or an app thing or both?
it might work better.

is it free to do with as you wish after you generate the model? or does autodesk do anything with it? (i have no idea what all that mumbo jumbo in the legal read this is)

ok - just downloaded it - and uploaded my images - it worked. sorta. the unwrap is horrendous. Even after i deleted all the extra stuff, the UV still had a bunch of it. It did work, but now i have to figure out how to clean up the uv. Alot of unnecessary image data is left over.

But it did what the other software didn't - and it did it with the same number of images.- in fact- it did a really good job.
=)
thanks for sharing that one - I was able to move forward, where as the other thing i got stuck.

m.d.
03-28-2015, 10:11 AM
PC or app (I've used both) the processing is still done on the cloud...so doesn't really matter. As an iPhone app it's pretty convenient

30 pictures is a little on the light side....i usually max it at 70 or close to it.

There is a new free auto desk photo scanner in beta if you check the web site (can't remember the name right now) and it allows unlimited number of pictures as well as a bunch of other features
As far us the UV....I throw it into Zbrush...turn it into polypaint and retopo and UV it

Despite being autodesk....the quality is really good. I've been using this for over 4 years I think....and the results have always been pretty good. In the old days it used to run on your PC....but now it's in the cloud so you have to wait

That's why I want to try visualSFM

mummyman
03-28-2015, 10:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6eqW6yk50k&list=PLh9RSMSPPxfvysfUN5WC_1dIY07TDrhuV&index=154

have you guys tried this at all?

do you have alt methods to do this?

I tried it - so far, not enough images. (about 30 images) I could not get the softwares involved to resolve anything useful yet.

pretty neat - the guys who did the open world kite demo on unreal used a commercial program costing $4k.
This is the free undergrad versions in the youtube video.

=)
promising technology - and very coooool.

Tedious to get 1 object... but fairly awesome..

vonpietro
03-28-2015, 11:24 AM
"I throw it into Zbrush...turn it into polypaint and retopo and UV it"

I DONT HAVE zbrush - but i do have 3d coat.
what does reptop mean or do actually. I'm still not that clear on that process.

by the way - was in modeler 11.6.3 and i noticed you can instance your images now =)

How long has that been there?
that was something i was thinking would be useful awhile back -
so thanks newtek - very nice addition in the image panel.

jboudreau
03-28-2015, 11:29 AM
I was thinking wouldn't it be a bit easier if you took video around the object (rock) instead of still images. You could then take the video into say AE, Premiere etc wheren you could export out as sequential images using those as your reference shots to build the 3d Model. From what I understand this would make sure you are not missing any important pieces. Has anybody tried this and if so does it work?

Thanks,
Jason

vonpietro
03-28-2015, 12:28 PM
jboudreau - good idea

Wade
03-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your efforts!

m.d.
03-28-2015, 10:52 PM
I was thinking wouldn't it be a bit easier if you took video around the object (rock) instead of still images. You could then take the video into say AE, Premiere etc wheren you could export out as sequential images using those as your reference shots to build the 3d Model. From what I understand this would make sure you are not missing any important pieces. Has anybody tried this and if so does it work?

Thanks,
Jason

rolling shutter will destroy all accuracy....virtually any CMOS video camera would be unusable without pausing motion....at which point you are better with a point and shoot

Might work on a global shutter or CCD cam...but 1080p is only 2mp

vonpietro
03-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Maybe a 4k camera

m.d.
03-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Maybe a 4k camera

I have a 5k camera....but rolling shutter still exists...
In the days of CCD camera, now rarer....it would not be an issue

Doesn't mean it can't be done...but it should only be using frames not in motion

Some camera do have global shutters, but motion blur could still be an issue

erikals
03-30-2015, 03:22 AM
rolling shutter will destroy all accuracy

true, but it does work, i tried it some time back, the result was basically that of a Kinect scan...
so not that high, but works for "rough" stuff...

also try PhotoScan >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyXZOyu2G4

vonpietro
03-30-2015, 03:37 AM
I saw these guys when i saw the kite demo -
but when i checked i only saw the pro version for 3500 so i kept hunting.

seeing a 179 standard edition is golden

http://www.agisoft.com/features/standard-edition/

its 179 for stand edition - and 3500 for the pro

so =) also a 30 day trial

so you could basically spend a few months gathering all your images - and then try it out.

gerry_g
03-30-2015, 07:20 AM
PFTrack 2015 has some kind of geo reconstruction module in it now, can't quite figure out how much it does or how practical the results are, but for around 1K a node locked license and considering you buying a motion tracker with this tacked on it looks like a pretty good deal if still slightly pricy.

https://vimeo.com/118587661

BigHache
03-30-2015, 08:53 AM
I DONT HAVE zbrush - but i do have 3d coat.
what does reptop mean or do actually. I'm still not that clear on that process.

I have 3D Coat as well and it has retopo tools not unlike ZBrush.

Retopo/Retopology is where you take a very high poly model (usually something that has been 3D scanned or sculpted) and create new polygons (typically a lower poly count) with a topology that has a better flow, many times for the purpose of animation. You may sculpt a character than looks great in 3D Coat but the mesh doesn't deform correctly for animation, so you retopo the model. Super high poly models are usually used for creating normal maps that are used on the retopo'd model.

erikals
03-30-2015, 10:29 AM
3DCoat also has great / some of the best UV tools...

regarding PFTrack, also check the alternative SynthEyes LE / PhotoScan combination

vonpietro
03-30-2015, 06:50 PM
photoscan is probably the winner - unlimited photos with high quality models outputted. I'm jazzed about it.
holding off for a bit while i explore the free option from the rock video. It didn't work first time out - but i think it needs more images.
Plus i'll try other subject matter.

Autodesk got me my tiki - I have this really interesting tiki - and i took the photos of it.

here is the 3d model.
its really well made from the 20 images i used.

Since autoddesk is free - and uses up to 70 images - its still good for alot of things i want to do.

photoscan i think will definitely be a good addition in the future. Some of the youtube videos are showing models of very high definition. Also shows what can go wrong, its apparently an art to getting something very clean.

vonpietro
03-31-2015, 02:32 AM
so how would i clean this up in 3d coat? or in lw

see all the extra image data that stuff is not in the model.

gerry_g
03-31-2015, 03:11 AM
If the solution is anything like how they do it in Maya it would be to bake from high to low just as you would for a normal map but targeting the texture map instead, very long video but he bakes at around the 41 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axrAbZsf1vE