PDA

View Full Version : 4U9525 Plane Crash

caustics
03-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I think you people were all following this terrible plane crash news the last days like myself. What a terrible thing ...

Sharing my feelings with all those poor souls and their relatives and friends.

But why I am posting this here ... well, as soon as the news came up ... or lets say a couple of hours later ... all news sites are coming up with that stereotype plane crash 3D animations.

Some seem to be recored with a flight simulator others seem a bit more elaborated some even may have been produced with the help of LW.

But anyway ... it should be sad alone to have to do an animation like this one.

And I think it is as difficult to keep the balance between providing the required insight and not being sensationalistic at the same time.

At least the ones I saw on this topic were rather discrete simulating the crash itself with a simple cloud of dust instead of shattering the plane.

Just curious if any of you ever did a job like this?

Regards.

jwiede
03-27-2015, 06:12 PM
The NTSB does extensive 3D visualization and simulation work while investigating every plane crash, and often during the resultant ligitation both sides will also do extensive simulation and visualization of what occurred. It can be a bit grisly, but like any sort of forensic work, if that kind of stuff bothers you then you probably aren't suited for it -- those that are tend to be more intrigued in findng out what actually happened than anything else. Military intel, legal, and forensic sciences are all very heavy users of modern 3D visualization and simulation these days, from simple all the way to massive supercomputer-run stress simulations, etc.

Wade
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
This was a very detailed simulation rather that a visualization of the twin towers crash or rather attack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddIgb1nGJ8