PDA

View Full Version : Decimator md-hx

joseburgos
03-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Decimator md-hx
HDMI / SDI CROSS CONVERTER
with Scaling and Frame Rate Conversion
http://decimator.com/Products/MiniConverters/MD-HX/MD-HX.html
This device sells for around $290 and it is just plain awesome. HDMI in and out plus SDI in and four SDI out with built-in scaling. So far has worked great for outputting to projectors, taking computer display out and being used as QC device for input settings because it has a display on it.
So things it can be used as;
HMDI to SDI converter (with loop through on both sides)
SDI to HDMI converter (with loop through on both sides)
SDI 1X4 DA
Use the display and attach any video device to see what resolution it is spitting out
Always you have the ability to use the scaling and the scaling does a lot especially when going HD to SD on monitors or projectors.

It worked so well that I purchased another :)

csandy
04-01-2015, 08:20 AM
You might want to suffer through some of my shaky iphone video reviews to get a better sense of the device, but I'm with Jose and fully endorse this device. They're great! http://goo.gl/aBh7cc

Paris MkVI
04-01-2015, 09:41 AM
These guys have been buying space on the front page of TV Technology. I wonder about latency.

csandy
04-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Latency didn't catch my attention. That would be a great test though. Maybe a latency shootout with various converters!

Zane Condren
04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
That sounds like a great idea for the guys over at Studio Tech.

TakeOneDigital
04-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Thanks for bringing a great device to our attention! Looks like a gem.

On a similar note to others, I'm always looking at latency on our imag jobs so I'd love to know the stat on this. One device we use similarly to this is the DAC-70 (http://www.datavideo.com/Converters/DAC-70). For $500, it adds vga in (and Sdi and hdmi) with SDI and HDMI output all with cross-conversion. It pairs well with jobs where clients must use their laptops or houses with vga out. And it'll play nice-nice with both the Sdi tricasters and minis that we have now.

csandy
04-02-2015, 08:57 AM
That one's a gem too! https://youtu.be/yZ1QpmjP-d4 See my caveats in the video though. As long as you're clear on what it can and can't do, it's an awesome device.

Videolink
09-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Decimator md-hx
HDMI / SDI CROSS CONVERTER
with Scaling and Frame Rate Conversion
http://decimator.com/Products/MiniConverters/MD-HX/MD-HX.html
This device sells for around $290 and it is just plain awesome. HDMI in and out plus SDI in and four SDI out with built-in scaling. So far has worked great for outputting to projectors, taking computer display out and being used as QC device for input settings because it has a display on it.
So things it can be used as;
HMDI to SDI converter (with loop through on both sides)
SDI to HDMI converter (with loop through on both sides)
SDI 1X4 DA
Use the display and attach any video device to see what resolution it is spitting out
Always you have the ability to use the scaling and the scaling does a lot especially when going HD to SD on monitors or projectors.

It worked so well that I purchased another :)

We have been selling these for well over a year now - Much better than the BlackMagic converters- Auto detect - Bi directional - multi functional - every time we restock we sell out! They really are a great solution!

Red Dog Records
04-11-2016, 07:34 PM
We picked up a couple decimators to add to our arsenal. Although we have used them successfully to convert SDI to HDMI for projectors, we had some issues last week trying to convert a camera's HDMI out to SDI. We had multiple cameras running 720p60 directly feeding to our tricaster 460 with SDI. But another camera sending out 1080/60i HDMI simply would not convert to 720p60 HDMI (or convert to anything that the Tricaster could recognize.) We messed with it for a bit, but ended up using our BlackMagic, which worked immediately.

I'm sure it was some odd setting in the decimators, but it simply took too long to troubleshoot, so we ended up going with what worked. Be sure you take the time before the gig to either pre-program these (great interface using a laptop) or make sure you have the time to adjust the settings in case it does not work immediately.

ps - We also got one of the datavideo DAC-70 devices. It is awesome and is one of the few converters that will feed a solid HDMI out that can be recorded on a Shogun.
I think we first heard about it here on the forums and it has been a GREAT investment.

Just my $.02

Andrew

csandy
04-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Good advice. The Decimators are awesome, but you have to spend time in the control menu to get used to all of the features because it has a LOT of features for $295. Try going to the control menu and select "free run" as the reference signal. If that doesn't work, you probably have a color space issue.

Try a factory reset. That will likely undo any crazy setting it ay have inadvertently been set to.

charliesteiner
07-26-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm trying to use the Decimator to get a GoPro Hero 5 and a Sony Actioncam into the Tricaster 410. Blackmagic converter never worked and we've been using the Atomos with GoPros but it's flaky and didn't work at all with the Sony. Anyone have Decimator settings that work to convert HDMI into the Tricaster (1080 30 project)?

charliesteiner
07-26-2017, 02:40 PM
decimator email support is very fast, and now it works from any HDMI camera into the tricaster.

DStoneburner
07-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Look at the AJA HDMI to SDI. I had trouble with the BM and GoPro 3 Black edition, but the AJA just plain worked no issues what so ever.

Lee-AVP
07-27-2017, 10:27 AM
One Gotcha on the DAC-70 (that may be a firmware problem?) is that the HDMI output does not seem to pass audio. So when using it in-line with, say, a laptop, with the SDI coming to Tricaster and the HDMI feeding the house, we DO have audio on the SDI output, and we DO NOT have audio on the HDMI output.

Anyone else noticed that?