PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Limitations?

Jockomo
12-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Does anyone know the limitations of lightwave and poly counts(besides ngons)?

Is it purely based on how much ram you have?

Could the object replacement plugin choke if you try to replace 500,000 poly objects, even if you have the ram to handle it?

I am trying to render a sequence of objects created by realflow.
The objects go from 0 polygons to eventually about 500k.
The sequence render fine for a few hundred frames, but then lightwave starts getting hung while replacing an object.(not always the same object) I have started the RF scene from scratch and re-created the objects in the sequence to make sure I didn't have a corrupted object file in there somewhere, but it's still doing it.
I was watching ram usage, it was only using about 20-30% of my ram, it would hang for a while 10-20 min, then render about 40 frames, then hang again.

I have tried with the RealFlow plugin, and also with just the objrep.p Plug

Any Ideas?

Lightwave7.5c
RealFlow 2.5.41
Dell Precision 330
Pentium4 1.5 MHz with 1gig Ram
Windows 2000 5.00.2195
Service Pack 3

riki
12-03-2003, 03:48 AM
From memory the limits are all listed in a section at the end of the manual.

Mylenium
12-03-2003, 04:38 AM
I think it's definitely the objects. Even though there are supposedly no limitations, LW will choke on object files that have more than 300000 polygons per layer (which would be the case with RF objects that always have only one layer) if you use them in a replacement sequence. These seems related to LW not unloading the old objects completely before loading in the new ones. This can even happen while making a preview.

Mylenium

meshmaster
12-03-2003, 07:52 AM
but copying a few of the objects to one layer instead of several may help things out... I think that each layer is assigned a different sub thread (think those are called strings instead of threads or something) in memory and the more memory used the longer it will take. Maybe try rendering only 10 frames at a time?

Can BMRT render more than one frame at a time? That may be one way to go... save as rib using a plugin from flay and render in bmrt????

Jockomo
12-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Mylenium,

I think you are right, it starts having problems when it enters the 200k poly range, and is completely locked up by the time it gets to about 400k.

So, NewTek, any suggestions?

Guess I will start manually rendering 1000 frames...

one.... two.... three....

meshmaster, the objects only contain one layer.

Thanks for the response guys.

Jockomo
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
226....227.... 228

WE HATES THEM! CURSES THE TRIXEY NEWTEKSEES...

Crapped out as soon as it hit the first object with any data(only
6529 polys). The.... wait I have to set up...gollem!....gollem!.... another frame....229....
ok... where was I .... oh yea.... then I tried to start it at 226 to see if just going from 0 to 6.5k polys was the issue, but it crashed again.
Manually replacing the files and rendering one frame at a time seems to work though. So I would think it must have to be related to the object replacement plugin.

Will I be sane by frame 1000? You be the judge...

G3D
12-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Opening the scene in a text editor and change the names of the objects you want to replace using a find and replace. And of course save the scene file from the text editor with a new name.

Jockomo
12-04-2003, 01:40 PM
I don't need to swap a bunch of items in the scene, it's just one, over and over again every frame.

RealFlow creates an object for every frame of the animation.
If you have 1000 frames, you end up 1000 different objects.
fluid001.lwo fluid002.lwo fluid003.lwo etc

G3D
12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
...I read it out of context. But the trick works well, not only for what (I thought) you meant, but also in Modeler for mirroring Weight Maps. Make 1/2 the model name all your weightmaps like "L_Upper_Arm," etc and make a mirror, delete original, save as new name, open object in Wordpad and do a find and replace where "L_" becomes "R_." Save as new name open original(The Left) load new(for Right side) onto same layer and merge points. Depending on the nature of your character model, you will have saved lots of work.

-George

Wade
12-04-2003, 08:09 PM
What are the number and size of your image maps if you have any. The one thing I have found to choke LW for me has been my image maps being too big. I have had maybe 25 images at about 4 or 5 megs each for trees and such and on large renders 2400 x 3600 pix things would lock up. What I have done to avoid this is to size all my image maps down to 500kb..... Architectural Illustrations I do it seems to work out fine.

If I am off topic well it would not be the first time.

Oh and number of my objects or sceens will have 2,000,000 ploys or more and they render fine if I make sure my bit maps are a decent size.

Wade