PDA

View Full Version : HitFilm 3 or Fusion. Am at the crossroads

sculptactive
03-25-2015, 02:27 AM
I find myself at the crossroads. It's time to purchase some post software and I am torn between investing my time learning Fusion or Hitfilm.
I have played around with Hitfilm and found it easy to learn and the community are very helpful, but in the long term if starting from scratch I might be better off rolling up my sleeves and learning Fusion.

Taking money out of the equation, if you were starting from the the beginning which one would you go for?

Ztreem
03-25-2015, 04:16 AM
I started the Fusion way and so far it's been a fun journey. Hit film is like a budget version of After Effects and I don't really like the layer approach it get messy quite quick. I like Fusion as its node based and of course free. Why not try fusion for a while and see if it works for you and if not, go the Hitfilm road.

CaptainMarlowe
03-25-2015, 04:17 AM
I guess it depends on your goals. Fusion is high end and nodal. Hitfilm is more prosumer and layered. I guess the the learning curve may be much steeper for fusion. FWIW, after some testing, my three video teams opted for Motion (quite similar to Hitfilm in its approach) rater than fusion because of its easier learning curve.

ernesttx
03-25-2015, 06:31 AM
It depends on what your needs are. I have both and depending on what I'm doing, I use either/or.

Fusion has better 3D environment to work in, import different passes and comp, import cameras, Alembic, point cloud data, etc.
Hitfilm, I use if I want to quickly layer comp video, edit a few clips together with some effects, and it has preset effects like explosion, fire, clouds, gun shots, particles, and such. Hitfilm comes with Mocha Hitfilm, so if you want to get familiar with that software. Plus, upgrade to Mocha Pro when they have a good sale.

tischbein3
03-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Taking money out of the equation, if you were starting from the the beginning which one would you go for?

Both. Not using Hitfilm here (AE), BUT a layer based system is good for quickly setting up scenes / you need to outline elements spatially (for example motion graph stuff),
while a node base system is good when you mass edit shots. or the editing process needs to be much more complex. (Combining multible shader passes etc)
Since fusion is free IMHO this is practically a nobrainer: Buy hitfilm and learn both.

Snosrap
03-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Why not try fusion for a while and see if it works for you and if not, go the Hitfilm road. Good advice and the route I took. Free isn't worth anything if it doesn't click with your brain and takes forever to figure out. Blender anyone? :)

Greenlaw
03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
For compositing, I prefer Fusion but Hit Film has some really cool plugins that I use in After Effects. It's not unusual for me to switch between these two compositing programs to render special elements and fx, and depending on the job, I may do the final composite in either one. (If I'm working with .exr and aux channels, that's going to be Fusion; for motion graphics and 2D graphics/cartoon projects (because of better communication with Photoshop and AE,) it's probably going to be AE.)

I also have the standalone version of Hit Film (came with a recent Vegas upgrade bundle). I would use it if I didn't already have most of the HF plugins for AE. If I didn't have the HF plugins for AE, I'd probably be switching between Fusion and HF to create elements.

So short answer: Fusion as primary compositing program, and HF (or AE with the HF plugins suite) for generating special elements and fx for Fusion compositing.

G.

Megalodon2.0
03-25-2015, 03:39 PM
I don't understand why you just don't buy Hitfilm and use the free version of Fusion. Do you need the Pro version of Fusion NOW?

Greenlaw
03-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Megalodon 2.0 is right. Unless you need network rendering and OFX plugins support (I need both), the free version of Fusion is probably all you need.

G.

CaptainMarlowe
03-26-2015, 12:03 AM
If you need OFX support, then you can give a shot at free Natron. Once you start to get comfortable with nodal workflow, it's pretty much the same logic behind any app.

sculptactive
03-27-2015, 02:40 AM
I don't understand why you just don't buy Hitfilm and use the free version of Fusion. Do you need the Pro version of Fusion NOW?
It's not a money issue. It's a time issue. Taking time out from my workflow is a heavy investment for me, so I would prefer to learn one. Judging from the comments here though it looks like it's best to learn both.