PDA

View Full Version : (FREE RELEASE) ALL BVH Motion Clips at Animstreet are now FREE!

mrbones
03-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Over 10,000+ FREE motion capture BVH files. only from http://www.animstreet.com

vonpietro
03-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Although i used to work with motion capture data at netter digital - the guys there had a process from getting the motion from the actor into lw via motion builder.

So i'm not sure how to make it work in lightwave (I dont know what the process today is) - but anyone know the process of getting one of these bvh motion clips into lw and how do i attach to a character mesh?

Ztreem
03-23-2015, 03:55 PM
You don't have to do anything, LW reads BVH files and has done so for a very long time. Just import and play.

jwiede
03-23-2015, 04:10 PM
You don't have to do anything, LW reads BVH files and has done so for a very long time. Just import and play.

I highly recommend picking up Ryan Roye's IKBooster training, as IKB offers excellent tools for editing BVH motions. And if you need to do mocap retargeting, there's always Rhiggit2 Pro or Nevron. I have both but much prefer Rhiggit (better support, IMO).

bobakabob
03-23-2015, 05:01 PM
To attach a mesh to bvh skeleton you need to switch off the bones;
1. import your character just as a reference at this stage and on frame 0 resize the bones in layout to fit (ONLY in 'rest length' bone properties!) and
2. translate / rotate the bones using the move tool, but
3. ensure that you *preserve* any bone movements and resizing channels in the graph editor by *deleting all subsequent keyframes* from frame 0 if they are present. Note - Do not delete keyframes in the rotation channels. This is all *essential* otherwise once the anim starts playing the bones will spring back to original size and position turning your character into a ridiculous crumpled mess. If rotation keyframes are deleted you won't get any movement.
4. now delete your reference character from the scene. Locate the root object (usually a null) associated with the bvh skeleton (check the hierarchy in Scene Editor to identify) and with all the bones switched off *replace* this with your character mesh. It should fit as you used it for a reference to manipulate and fix the bones.
5. you then need to select all bones of your character object, and press "r" to rest the bones on frame 0 which means they become associated with the mesh and now have "magnetic" properties. "Resting" is an essential process which you do - repeat - on frame 0. If the mesh isn't distorting properly when you play through the scene you may need to add weight maps to the character associated with specific bones in Modeler. Keep this simple though - Usually, leg, r & l, arms r & l, head and torso are enough to link the "magnetism" of the bones to specific parts of the mesh. You do this in the Bones properties panel.

Greenlaw
03-24-2015, 01:35 AM
I use Motion Builder for retargeting and editing BVH mocap on imported Lightwave rigs, and then Lightwave's Merge Only Motion Envelopes to transfer the animation to my native Lightwave rigs with the final mesh and shading. This has been the traditional workflow and it works like a charm. If you don't have Motion Builder, a cost-effective alternative is the web-based Ikinema Webanimate. I haven't used Webanimate myself but basically you upload the BVH data and your Light rig to their website, do your retargeting and editing online, and when you're happy with the result you pay to download the FBX. You can then use Lightwave's MOME from there.

As mentioned above, Lightwave now has a few native options for re-targeting and editing mocap. For the time being, I'm sticking with the Motion Builder workflow but I do want to look into these alternative solutions someday.

G.

Ztreem
03-24-2015, 06:58 AM
Just tested to download a file and LW can't read the BVH files in the right way. C4D and Blender did it without problems... time for a bug report.
for the moment you can import the BVH files in blender(or any other app you have or use) and do a fbx export to use the motions in LW.

Edit: Reported as a bug...

vonpietro
03-24-2015, 03:26 PM
ok, i'll try to get a walk cycle working with my star wars characters -=) this is a huge asset for me if it allows me some generic walks.
thanks for sharing it.

CaptainMarlowe
03-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I use Nevron Motion for retargetting. Work quite well, here.

CaptainMarlowe
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Just tested to download a file and LW can't read the BVH files in the right way. C4D and Blender did it without problems... time for a bug report.
for the moment you can import the BVH files in blender(or any other app you have or use) and do a fbx export to use the motions in LW.

Edit: Reported as a bug...

I never had any problem with bvh import. Key, to me, is to get the proper scaling at import. I usually start with a .01 to .012 scaling. LW 11.6.2, here.

vonpietro
03-24-2015, 05:08 PM
i had an fbx import and obj import problem - they were crashed and were not working,
i updated from 11.6.2 to .3 and it fixed all of those import problems.

Ztreem
03-24-2015, 07:12 PM
I never had any problem with bvh import. Key, to me, is to get the proper scaling at import. I usually start with a .01 to .012 scaling. LW 11.6.2, here.

Please try to download a bvh file from the site above and tell me if it works for you. I tested in both 11.6.3 and 2015 and got the same result. Should the scale affect the actual motion? I just used the default setting.

Sekhar
03-24-2015, 08:55 PM

I never had a problem either, but Ztreem is talking about BVH on this site specifically. I just tried a file, and it isn't working for me either on 2015.2: the structure just jumps around.

CaptainMarlowe
03-25-2015, 12:17 AM
I haven't tried from this site, but I have been using Truebones library (I guess the motions should be the same...) for a long time without problem (but it's true that when you purchase TrueBones library the BVH files come in several format, like read for MotionBuilder, or for DAZ...). I'll get a look as soon as I can (very huge scene being rendered right now).

By the way, another thing that works quite well for people still having on their hard drive animeeple forever, is to create a motion capture ready character in Lightwave, export as .fbx, apply and edit the bvh (the good thing with animeeple is that it allowed to mix several motions, or edit their length, possibly with several characters in one scene) and export back to .fbx and then just load in Layout. It works really good.
Animeeple Forever was the special edition they sent to all the registered users of the standard animeeple, including the .fbx add-on, when they shut down. Even if most of the time, I do my retargeting directly in Lightwave with NevronMotion, for some tasks (or quick visualisation, or even scaling if motion capture files), I still use this dead software from time to time.
I sometimes mix the two techniques, blending the motions in animeeple, export back to .bvh and retarget in Lightwave with NevronMotion.

A quick and rough test I did some time ago here with mix of several bvh in animeeple and retargeting with NM :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-cxZlgNCc

mrbones
03-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Using Ikinema Web Animate to Retarget BVH to FBX character then EXPORT is very easy and I have outlined the procedure here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCo71OZyTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCo71OZyTw

Theres also a link to a FREE 30 day Ikinema WebAnimate demo in the video information.

And heres a quicker condensed version
https://youtu.be/pipHRChr38Y?t=2m58s

Sekhar
03-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Using Ikinema Web Animate to Retarget BVH to FBX character then EXPORT is very easy and I have outlined the procedure here.

Thanks, but the issue is not with retargeting, but with making the BVH work at all. We understand how to import and use BVH in general, the problem is with the BVH from this site specifically. So, unless you can give pointers on using Animstreet's BVH, you aren't helping much I'm afraid. It'd be great if you could actually download a BVH and try out first.

mrbones
03-25-2015, 12:52 PM
HMM,

I saw someone reference the best way to get Animated characters in Lightwave was to bring it in with animation and mesh using an FBX file.

Then you can just import Everything into Lightwave at once.

I dont gurantee that all of the BVH animations on animstreet will work in Lightwave.

But I can gurantee you if you use Ikinema WA and Truebones FBX (like I demonstrated) this will work perfect.

The Animstreet BVH has many different Skeleton types, they are not all the same.

edit (the first 1000 are the same type skeleton, built for MOBU or Mixamo types )

Regarding BVH import to Lightwave, I have no Idea...

Thanks, but the issue is not with retargeting, but with making the BVH work at all. We understand how to import and use BVH in general, the problem is with the BVH from this site specifically. So, unless you can give pointers on using Animstreet's BVH, you aren't helping much I'm afraid. It'd be great if you could actually download a BVH and try out first.

mrbones
03-26-2015, 07:22 AM
It'd be great if you could actually download a BVH and try out first.

Why is that not possible?

roadster
03-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks.

Is there a price to buy the whole library in one swoop? I thought I saw a link, but now its gone.

mrbones
03-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Yes, I recently changed the BIG BULK SWOOP sale price to only 99. USD :santa:

Heres the link that is correct. http://bit.ly/TruebonesBulkPak2015

Regards,

mrbones
09-30-2016, 10:35 AM
That last link Expired, Now Just visit Truebones Store http://truebones.com/store.html Thanks

Spinland
10-01-2016, 04:37 AM
Deleted comment because I didn't realize this resurfaced from a necropost. My bad.