PDA

View Full Version : Running away from your own shadow [LW 2015.1]

ice_blade_za
03-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Greetings

I have a scene where a camera slides down the side of a building, then dynamically parents to a truck which moves away from the building with the camera attached. I was letting it render after baking the radiosity (Monte Carlo) when I noticed the shadows jumping, I found the frame steps set to 2 in the bake calculation. As I flipped over the frames after fixing this and starting the re-bake process I noticed the most weird thing. The truck is riding away from it's own shadow. 8~

Ok, I'm baffled by this. I think its to do with the radiosity caching but I don't know what to do to fix it. I tried the animation switch, clearing the cache file, bumping up the RPE, preprocess to Always...

I tried to render out with out Interpolation but it says over 8 hours render time per frame. I need the radiosity to keep the "white washed out/ambient occlusion" style render.

Any suggestions?

Slartibartfast
03-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi,
Do you have to use the cache at all?

Cheers

Builtdown
03-25-2015, 07:39 AM
How on earth can that take 8 hours to render per frame? 8 minutes would even sound too much... :)

Every4thPixel
03-25-2015, 08:04 AM
You could also not use radiosity and use a dome light if you want an occlusion look. That should render in a few minutes and look better than what you have now.

ice_blade_za
03-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Hi,
Do you have to use the cache at all?

Cheers

Was trying to avoid the popping light samples from the randomness of just straight calculations due to interpolation.

How on earth can that take 8 hours to render per frame? 8 minutes would even sound too much... :)

I know ... it's crazy. I assume the quality was set too high and the scene has a lot of instances.

You could also not use radiosity and use a dome light if you want an occlusion look. That should render in a few minutes and look better than what you have now.

Ah. Yes, this was a thought at some point but was washed away with the challenge of getting the GI right. Thanks for reminding me, I switched to 3 dome lights at 24 quality setting. One from the top skipping the buildings shadows, one straight on and one from below to cut the weird darkness on the ceiling. Mixing indoors and out doors was the pain me thinks. I'm going to re-render all the animations now with these settings, will take the whole weekend but that's what you pay for quality. :)

Every4thPixel
03-27-2015, 09:55 AM
You actually just need one dome light. The light is already coming from all sides except the bottom. If you want light from the bottom you can use DP_dome light. It has a spherical option.

ice_blade_za
04-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Every4th.... wow. Wish I had seen that before. I added 3 dome lights but good old Denis to step it up a notch. Next render in this style will be much easier with these new lights. Thanks. :thumbsup: