PDA

View Full Version : Major Issue with Licensing and Serial Numbers

jboudreau
03-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi Guys

I think I found a major bug with the licensing in Lightwave, I'm not sure yet how to reproduce it but for some reason lightwave keeps throwing out new serial numbers that are not linked to my purchased license keys.

This all started when I installed the trial version of lightwave 2015, Once installed I ran 2015 and it gave me a serial number which I registered on my account and downloaded the trial license file for that serial number.
It was registered on Nov. 25, 2014, 4:53 p.m. after 10 days when I went to open layout again the serial number had changed and it put me in discovery mode again, trial mode was gone. So I had to go back on to my account and register the new serial number that was given on Dec. 5, 2014, 6:55 p.m.. This gave me another 30 days to use the 2015 Trial but it didn't last 30 days. After about 39 days layout went back into discovery mode and sent out another serial number which again I could register for another trial license key on Jan. 12, 2015, 12:29 a.m, which again gave me another 30 days trial. This made no sense to me.

UPDATE: The only thing I rember doing before the serial number change during the trial was I installed lightwave version 11.6.3 so not sure if this is where the bug lies.

See attached image below showing all 3 trial registerd serial number activations

I ended up purchasing Lightwave version 2015 on Jan. 26, 2015, 10:35 p.m. and registered my permanent license key which hasn't given me any issues until today. I was adjusting my shortcuts using the -O and - p setting up custom folders for my configs and plugins and when I went to open layout that I had been using for months now it all of a sudden went back into discovery mode and is sending me out another serial number that is completely different from my purchased registered one so now my license file that is available for download on my account will not work. The serial number that it is showing me is actually the original trial serial that I had when I first installed lightwave 2015 trial.

See attached image below showing my lightwave 2015 purchase

See attached image of what I get when I run lightwave 2015 as you can see it's giving me the 5A08-33B3-577A serial number which is a trial serial number

and on top of all this the registered license file that I have been using for many years for lightwave 11.6.3 is not working either. Lightwave 11.6.3 is now in discovery mode and it's sending me out a different serial that doesn't match my registered one that in my account so my license files are useless.

See attached image below showing my lightwave 11 purchase

See attached image of what I get when I run lightwave 11.6.3 as you can see it's giving me the B82E-5519-B9DC serial number which isn't even a serial I have registered so yet another new serial number

Has anybody ran into anything like this before any help would be greatly appreciated. What ever this bug is gives people the ability to keep registering the trial version of 2015 over and over again and could render the purchased licensed license keys to become useless.

I hope somebody can get to the bottom of this

Thanks,
Jason

jwiede
03-22-2015, 06:04 PM
If you still have it, try running 11.6.2 (before the licensing change) and see what it says?

Regardless, that it changed your internal serial for 11.6.3 is pretty serious, are your plugins bound to your perm. LW serial also failing?

Hopefully LW3DG can fix the issue ASAP.

jboudreau
03-22-2015, 06:14 PM
If you still have it, try running 11.6.2 (before the licensing change) and see what it says?

Regardless, that it changed your internal serial for 11.6.3 is pretty serious, are your plugins bound to your perm. LW serial also failing?

Hopefully LW3DG can fix the issue ASAP.

I don't have 11.6.2 installed, just 11.6.3 and 2015.1 and 2015.2

I'm not sure I think they are bound to my dongle ID hopefully but maybe that changed too.

Yes hopefully it gets fixed soon because I can't run lightwave out of discovery mode right now. Looks like I might have to uninstall all version and re-install them back again.
Hopefully all the purchased plugins I have installed aren't messed up as well.

Thanks
Jason

jboudreau
03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Guys

I got it working again, had to uninstall everything and re-install just lightwave 2015.2, I also had to re-download my licene file again even though the one on my computer was the same it would not work. Very strange

Thanks,
Jason

jwiede
03-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi Guys

I got it working again, had to uninstall everything and re-install just lightwave 2015.2, I also had to re-download my licene file again even though the one on my computer was the same it would not work. Very strange

Are the actual keys contained in both the new and original file the same? That should be all that matters.

I've encountered similar behavior from x64 LW installs on my laptop: Upon installing the 2015.2 trial and registering, my prior-working 11.6.3 perm. license ceased to function with prior key (comes up in discovery mode), but hadn't had a chance to dig into why 11.6.3 was misbehaving yet.

jboudreau
03-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Are the actual keys contained in both the new and original file the same? That should be all that matters.

I've encountered similar behavior from x64 LW installs on my laptop: Upon installing the 2015.2 trial and registering, my prior-working 11.6.3 perm. license ceased to function with prior key (comes up in discovery mode), but hadn't had a chance to dig into why 11.6.3 was misbehaving yet.

The license key files were exactly the same but only the one I downloaded would work.

Yes there is some strange stuff going on when you have lightwave 11.6.3 and any one of the other lightwave versions 2015 trial, 2015, 2015.1 and 2015.2. I just tried comparing 2015 to 2015.2 running them side by side and even though the configs are and should be in separate folders whatever I change in 2015.2, (For example add plugins, edit the menu layout etc. it also changes in version 2015 and vice versa so the configs are definitely conflicting with one another.

Thanks,
Jason

spherical
03-23-2015, 02:08 AM
Are you making sure to close the Hub when switching between versions? I have LightWave versions installed from 2015.2 all the way back to 8.5 and they never cross pollinate. "Running them side by side" is an indication that you are playing with fire.

jboudreau
03-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Are you making sure to close the Hub when switching between versions? I have LightWave versions installed from 2015.2 all the way back to 8.5 and they never cross pollinate. "Running them side by side" is an indication that you are playing with fire.

Hi

I wasn't running them side by side when this happened, After I finally fixed all this I was testing the LWCAD Plugin with lightwave version 2015 and 2015.2 (which has bugs that aren't in the 2015 version) I like yourself have installed
all the way back to 9.6 and never had any issues until the 2015 trial version when all this happened.

As for shutting down the hub, probably not because it automatically shuts down for me when exiting the program. But Hub or not I shouldn't of been able to register 3 different serial numbers for the trial giving me 30 days every time and my registered licensing should not have reverted back to trial. You are probably right regarding the hub this is why I have told newtek there is a problem regarding the hub because when you are going between different versions the hub can't distinguish between the different versions of lightwave and it should

For example if you have say lightwave 11.6.3 and 2015 installed on your system and you open layout for version 2015 and then modeller for 11.6.3 while the hub is running. Next time you open layout version 2015 and you press the modeler button, modeller 11.6.3 opens instead of modeller 2015 which is what should open. I've told them they need hub versions so none of these mistakes can happen, because cross mixing like this causes many undesirable results, crashes etc.

Here is a perfect example of this in the image below, Just going and working with different versions my hub is all messed up. It opens 2015.1 layout but 11.0 modeler

Thanks,
Jason

bobakabob
03-23-2015, 12:19 PM
I always find installing Lightwave anxiety inducing. The new dongle free system is better but still not problem free from reading these threads and experiencing Discovery Mode hell. I have to keep reminding myself after nearly 20 years that these problems can usually be fixed.

Some advice which seems to work is to install with Windows Firewall on and make rules for Layout, Modeler and Hub. I also have Avast, so disabled this during installation. Don't use older License Keys, download new direct from Account to desktop.

Some tedious tales of trial and error some of which might help anyone browsing: I had success with LW 11.6.3 X64 doing the above but could not get the 32 bit version running for the life of me (and still can't). My first installation of LW12.2 was so borked (a .dll couldn't be found so LW wouldn't even open to accept the Key) that all other LW versions went into Discovery mode. Bizarre. However, I had installed a trial version of Substance Designer, tried and failed to update a Quadro graphics card driver (Nvidea website tools were useless). Suspecting this might be the culprit I rolled back the OS to a recent recovery point and reinstalled LW. Always a good idea to add an rp if your system is working well and you're about to install new software.

spherical
03-23-2015, 10:09 PM
As for shutting down the hub, probably not because it automatically shuts down for me when exiting the program.

Yes, it does, but it does so after a while; not immediately. That is why, if you are going to go to another version, you certify that it has been closed manually. Assuming that it has closed gets you where you are. It's happened to me. Not anymore, though.

For example if you have say lightwave 11.6.3 and 2015 installed on your system and you open layout for version 2015 and then modeller for 11.6.3 while the hub is running. Next time you open layout version 2015 and you press the modeler button, modeller 11.6.3 opens instead of modeller 2015 which is what should open. I've told them they need hub versions so none of these mistakes can happen, because cross mixing like this causes many undesirable results, crashes etc.

Well, when the patient says: "It hurts when I do this."
The Doctor says: "Don't do that."

They do have Hub versions. It is just that they are backward compatible. In your above example, the application path gets written to the LWHUB[version].CFG file. It expects that you are doing the right thing and only running like version applications with each other, not cross-pollinating. If you did have Hubs that would only open specific versions, you wouldn't be able to do what you did above. Can't have it both ways.

jwiede
03-24-2015, 09:00 AM
I never run the hub, yet encountered similar licensing problem. The hub can be a problem, agreed, but I don't think it is the root cause of this problem.

spherical
03-24-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't see the original problem as being a licensing problem.

jboudreau
03-24-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't see the original problem as being a licensing problem.

Really how is it not? My registered licensed files would not work it just kept opening modeler/layout in discovery mode even though I was using the proper license files that I downloaded off my account. How is that not a licensing issue? The Trial kept throwing out new serial numbers (taking it out of trial mode and putting it in discovery mode) where I had to register them on my account over and over again giving me way more than 30 days to use the trial. How is that not a licensing/serial Number issue.

Also it turns out that I was not the only one, LW3DG got numerous reports regarding the same issue the same day mine started, They think it has to do with a OS update since they got so many reports with the same issue. The funny thing though is my system never updated because I have it set to update manually not automatically and when I went to my updates nothing got updated on that day, in fact the last update was months ago.

Thanks,
Jason

spherical
03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Sorry. Thought I was in one of the three other threads where only one of the two applications would start; some of which reference licensing as a possible cause. That'll learn me to go back up the chain to certify that to which I am referring. That said, I don't bother with the licensing thingy. I enter the various 32-bit and 64-bit keys into the license.key files on all of my installs and they all run without issue. Have to run with the dongle, but I have to anyway because of plugins that poll it.

jboudreau
03-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Sorry. Thought I was in one of the three other threads where only one of the two applications would start; some of which reference licensing as a possible cause. That'll learn me to go back up the chain to certify that to which I am referring. That said, I don't bother with the licensing thingy. I enter the various 32-bit and 64-bit keys into the license.key files on all of my installs and they all run without issue. Have to run with the dongle, but I have to anyway because of plugins that poll it.

No worries easy mistake, Yeah never had a problem with it before either until 2015. Oh well it's worked out and working now. Still not sure what the bug is though so it could happen again. I guess time will tell

Thanks
Jason

jwiede
03-27-2015, 01:12 PM
No worries easy mistake, Yeah never had a problem with it before either until 2015. Oh well it's worked out and working now. Still not sure what the bug is though so it could happen again. I guess time will tell

Really all that's known is that it happened once (or more, across multiple systems), and could happen again.

Waves of light
12-07-2018, 04:21 AM
I know this thread is old, but recently my motherboard fried, taking out my SSD, so I have to reinstall everything. When it came to installing LW, I got the same crap that J did at the beginning of this thread. And I think I may have found the answer.

If you install the 'standard' installation, it would appear that it doesn't install the sentinel drivers. So I went back and installed using the 'custom' setting. Sentinel drivers install, I dragged my license key into the C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\licenses folder and BAM, all installed and working.

Hopefully this will be of use to anyone in the future.