PDA

View Full Version : HitFilm3 Pro

Snosrap
03-21-2015, 07:59 PM
The other week I upgraded my Sony Vegas NLE after missing a couple upgrades and as part of the upgrade it included HitFilm3 Pro! Wow I'm impressed! Super easy and fun to use with quite a few effects. What a sweet deal that upgrade turned out to be. Also Vegas and Hitfilm link to one another - you can send a clip from Vegas to Hitfilm to make a composite or add effects to footage and it immediately shows up in your Vegas timeline. What a great combo! Highly recommended.

JamesCurtis
03-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I took advantage of the suite deal around Xmas of 2014. Because of client workload being high, I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but I know it'll come in handy. I put the suite on a new 6 core machine I built over the holiday. In fact I just put Houdini 14 Indie on it yesterday.

JamesCurtis
03-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I took advantage of the suite deal around Xmas of 2014. Because of client workload being high, I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but I know it'll come in handy. I put the suite on a new 6 core machine I built over the holiday. In fact I just put Houdini 14 Indie on it yesterday.

Snosrap
03-21-2015, 10:41 PM

Yep around Christmas they had the upgrade for $349 but I just couldn't swing it at that time. A couple of weeks after that offer ended my financial situation changed so I e-mailed them to see if I could still get the deal. I didn't hear anything so I just let it ride. Then about a month later I got a reply to that e-mail that said they were having another special and sure enough I got their newsletter and this time the upgrade was $269. Procrastination sometimes pays. :)

CaptainMarlowe
03-22-2015, 01:22 AM
I was quite tempted, but more in order to use it as a plug-in for Final Cut Pro, but following their tutorials with the demo, I found out that the effects were very similar to Motion 5, and so similar in fact that I was able to reproduce almost all effects inside Motion 5 with its native tools. The only thing Hitfilm would really add is the ability to load 3D objects, which I don't really need, since I use LW for all renders with 3D objects.
So yes, it's a pretty nice software, but for people already having the combo Motion5/FCP X, I would advise to spend the money on motionVFX plug-ins instead.

Anyway, it's cool you got it at a lower price.

Snosrap
03-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah PC here. I gravitated to Vegas on my quest to find something similar to Premiere. 13 years ago or so I was using Premiere on a regular basis at work and wanted the same on my home box. However at the time my budget was super small so naturally I tried all the free and/or cheap NLE's out there and came across Sony Movie Studio which was under $50 and operated similarly to Premiere. Also Sony Movie Studio had superior playback performance to what I was accustomed to with Premiere at work, so I've been sold on the Vegas family of NLE's ever since. HitFilm3 is the icing on the cake for me. :)

CaptainMarlowe
03-22-2015, 11:16 AM
I have often thought about switching to PC in the past, especially to use Lightwave and 3D-Coat, but Final Cut Pro and Motion have always kept me in the Mac environment. There are a lot of cheap and powerful plug-ins around that enhance drastically the softwares, and that can save hours and hours of renders in the 3D side (volumetric lights, for instance), so I definitely don't think one minute about switching any more.

Markc
05-03-2015, 03:53 PM
I have just purchased Hitfilm, and having trouble with Image Sequences with Alpha.
All my render passes are PNG 32, different passes of space ship work fine, stars I have to convert to jpg (24 bit) but that's fine coz its back layer. But a Nebula layer and Engine glow lights just will not display (seems like any small rendered elements like particles on black background). Tried converting frame to tiff,tga still no joy, these all display within OS file browser, but not in Hitfilm. This all worked fine in Shake (Apple app) and djv viewer.
Anyone use any workarounds when rendering out of LW?

lightscape
05-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Hitfilm is really not good as a companion for 3d users.
It doesn't support exr, etc. With fusion being free its hard to pick hitfilm over fusion.

Markc
05-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Hitfilm does support OpenExr.
As soon as Fusion is available for the Mac, I will be downloading.

Snosrap
05-04-2015, 06:39 AM
With fusion being free its hard to pick hitfilm over fusion. It's easy to pick it when it's part of another upgrade. :) It's also easy to pick when it can actually be used - not saying Fusion can't of course - but keep in mind Blender is free too and yet a lot of people on these forums shell out dough for LW. :)

Markc
05-04-2015, 06:47 AM
What I like about Hitfilm is its also an Editor and FX package.
I managed to get my Stars and Nebula passes in using PNG 24, don't know why PNG 32 doesn't show for these passes?
I suppose I should look at the manual, but I only got it yesterday and just dived in (interface is so easy to use).

Snosrap
05-04-2015, 07:47 PM
(interface is so easy to use). Exactly! I've got Creative Cloud and still elect to use HitFilm over AE which has a similar interface and easy to get into workflow, but not quite like Hitfilm. :)

Megalodon2.0
05-05-2015, 03:50 AM
Hitfilm does support OpenExr.
As soon as Fusion is available for the Mac, I will be downloading.

I thought it was only 16 bit and not the full 32bit float. Did they change that?

Markc
05-05-2015, 11:52 AM
You may be right.
I tried a couple of exr images, but when I try to add any Color correction effects to them, they go blank.
Will keep playing.

lightscape
05-05-2015, 12:22 PM
It doesn't support buffers in exr. That's a big issue for 3d users rendering projects with multi layer exrs. No way to composite with them.

Oedo 808
05-05-2015, 01:05 PM
I remember a while ago they referred to multi-layer EXR as something their higher end users wanted (maybe that and/or linear colourspace), I wondered if that meant they thought it wasn't something the vast majority would want and so wasn't that much of a priority.

If you look at the wishlist (https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4432/the-wishlist-feature-requests-and-suggestions), EXR image support has a strike through it and that is the only EXR entry. Maybe that's all they're going to do in that regard for the time being.

Mind you I haven't read the entire thread.

Philbert
05-07-2015, 10:19 AM
I got HitFilm 2 Express when they gave it away free a while back. I still use it today. I'd love to upgrade to 3 Pro but I just don't have the extra cash, I still have to save for my LW 2015 upgrade.

Markc
05-16-2015, 12:17 PM
I have just purchased Hitfilm, and having trouble with Image Sequences with Alpha.
All my render passes are PNG 32, different passes of space ship work fine, stars I have to convert to jpg (24 bit) but that's fine coz its back layer. But a Nebula layer and Engine glow lights just will not display (seems like any small rendered elements like particles on black background). Tried converting frame to tiff,tga still no joy, these all display within OS file browser, but not in Hitfilm. This all worked fine in Shake (Apple app) and djv viewer.
Anyone use any workarounds when rendering out of LW?

OK I got fed up with Hitfilm for Compositing so bought Motion, it works fantastically with my passes.
Will just use Hitfilm for Editing/FX

(FYI the problem was I couldn't find anywhere in Hitfilm to change the Alpha Type)

Jmation
06-19-2015, 08:37 PM
For those interested I have just uploaded a "LW2Hitfilm" export script in the Third party section of the forum.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147053-LW2Hitfilm-Lightwave-to-Hitfilm-exporter

calilifestyle
07-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Hitfilm Express is now free..https://hitfilm.com/express

Philbert
07-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Sweet! Guess it's time to upgrade from HitFilm 2 Express!

Markc
08-27-2015, 02:24 PM
:dance: Yaayyyyy Fusion 8 for Mac is in Public Beta.
Finally a replacement for my trusty Apple Shake.

You really can't beat node based compositors.
Installed and works great so far :)

lightscape
09-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Sweet! Guess it's time to upgrade from HitFilm 2 Express!

Hf3 express seems to be a step down from hf2 express. A lot of plugins were removed and pay to play.

calilifestyle
09-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Yeah been messing with and figured that out.

lightscape
09-09-2015, 11:26 PM
The only good thing is I can open my hf3 pro file in hf3 express less the special plugins.