PDA

View Full Version : Export EXR files. Which one?

sculptactive
03-21-2015, 12:04 PM
LW-OpenEXR_RGBAFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBAHALF(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBHALF(.exr)

So much choice!!
Could someone kindly point me an explanation of the various exr options.

Thanks

m.d.
03-21-2015, 01:01 PM
LW-OpenEXR_RGBAFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBHALF(.exr)

So much choice!!

Thanks

well the 'a' is alpha...thats fairly obvious, the only remaining choice is floating point or half float. Floating point will give you slightly better precision at the expense of filesize.

Personally I quite often go for the PXR24 option (not default lightwave) for filesize....good enough for pixar, probably ok for me

Ma3rk
03-21-2015, 02:48 PM
LW-OpenEXR_RGBAFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBFP(.exr)
LW-OpenEXR_RGBHALF(.exr)

So much choice!!

Thanks

Ya, it does get confusing. I'd suggest visiting http://www.db-w.com/ and go to the EXR Trader section. You can d/l the pdf for the plug-in but on the right there's also a link to a video done at the LA Lightwave User group meeting a few years ago that Jennifer H. presented that might help.

m.d.
03-21-2015, 07:41 PM
i think hes just asking about the native format in LW

sculptactive
03-22-2015, 07:53 AM
THanks for the explanations. It was the FP that confused me.

jwiede
03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
BTW, highly recommend picking up exrTrader from db&w. The template functionality it offers makes setting up new scenes with complex buffer-based workflows a breeze compared to doing it with LW-native outputs. Basically, after you get your "workflow common" output setups entered and saved as templates, you'll only need to manually configure scenes for tweaks and one-off configs.

It's one of the very first plugins I install in a new/reset LW config, because I refuse to use the native LW functionality instead. It's that much better, IMO.

Greenlaw
03-29-2015, 12:34 AM
I absolutely agree with jwiede on exrTrader. If you're serious about composting Lightwave .exr renders with channel buffers, you must get exrTrader. In my experience, exrTrader is a lot easier to use and also more reliable for network rendering.

Re: the presets feature, yes, it's fantastic. My preset for Fusion allows Fusion to read any of the channels automatically. For example, if I add a vector blur node to a Lightwave exrTrader render, the node will automatically apply motion blur to the image in comp--this can save you hours for every render, and exrTrader makes it so easy.

G.

Cageman
03-30-2015, 01:30 PM
RGBAFP = 32 bit + Alpha
RGBFP = 32 bit, no Alpha
RGBAHALF = 16 bit + Alpha
RGBHALF = 16 bit, no Alpha

I agree with above statements that exrTrader is a _must have_ for serious exr outputs regarding to compositing!!!! A fantastic plugin, really!!!

Oh... Most of the RGB passes (Colour, Spec, Reflection etc) are perfectly fine in 16-bit... what you want to store in 32-bit are datapasses, such as PointPosition and Normals.