PDA

View Full Version : Strek TOS and Aliens

hazmat777
03-20-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm sure this must have been brought up before.

I've been binge watching Star Trek and I couldn't help but notice the similarities of "The Devil in the Dark" and Aliens. Thoughts from Trek and Aliens fans???

gerry_g
03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
well having just watched it on utube I would say none of the cast of Aliens sounded like they came from Queens or the Bronx as per the miners in that episode, besides Aliens is more or less the re imaging of The Thing wherein a group of over inquisitive scientist bite off more than they can chew out of reckless curiosity and nearly destroy themselves, I don't see that here just the coincidence of a silicone based life form with acid for as a digestive system rather than blood (couldn't stop looking at the casts cuban heal boots, totally mesmerising)

KurtF
03-20-2015, 08:33 PM
"Planet of Vampires", Mario Bava, 1965:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059792/

They even did a large skeleton of some alien creature. Very imaginative, especially for 1965.

hazmat777
03-20-2015, 08:42 PM
"Planet of Vampires", Mario Bava, 1965:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059792/

They even did a large skeleton of some alien creature. Very imaginative, especially for 1965.

Cool tip thanks!

bazsa73
03-21-2015, 02:24 AM
I remember that episode. Spock talks to an intelligent pizza :D

Shabazzy
03-21-2015, 03:08 PM
...besides Aliens is more or less the re imaging of The Thing wherein a group of over inquisitive scientist bite off more than they can chew out of reckless curiosity and nearly destroy themselves...

I have to take issue with this assessment, there are three inaccuracies that I know is going to drive me nuts if I don't get it off my chest.

The first one is that the Aliens comparison with The Thing isn't really an accurate one. Aliens was the sequel to Alien and was about marines being sent to a colony to ultimately retrieve one of the Aliens (it did not go to plan or end well).

Secondly, Alien (on which you're comparison applies) wasn't about recklessly curious scientists investigating an alien. The reason they set down on the planet in the first place was because their mining ship (The Nostromo) had been programmed by 'The Company' to detect alien lifeforms and signals and to use the crew to retrieve one 'for study' or investigate and report back. Given that they were employed in a mining transportation capacity, their job was only to transport mined ore from other planets back to Earth, so being awoken out of stasis to investigate a 'strange signal' was not something they were prepared for or knew (with the exception of the captain and the android) they had a contractual obligations to follow.

The only scientist on The Nostromo was an android created by The Wayland Corporation and as such couldn't really qualify as being the reason to base your comparison on.

Lastly, The Thing isn't about over curious scientist either. The alien in question literally ran into the arms of the scientists who were not even aware they were in danger until it was too late. They didn't have time to get curious, they were completely ambushed by it and more or less wiped out.

Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive or provocative, it really isn't meant to be it's just that as a bit of a fan boy of these films I just had to vent a bit.

My apologies in advance if I caused any offence.

Shabazzy

safetyman
03-24-2015, 05:30 AM
You should put spoiler alerts in your post Shabazzy. Dang. Now I can't watch Alien. Thanks a lot.

gerry_g
03-24-2015, 08:38 AM
I meant Alien, it's the only one that matters and clearly the one he was referring to besides I forgot Aliens existed always hated the sequel, my recollection of The Thing is a bunch of scientists excavating a flying saucer embedded in the polar ice and removing an alien life form still encased in a block of ice and taking it back to their research shack, whether that is how it remained in the John Carpenter remake I am not sure as I prefer the original, and Scott did too, even having the actors overlapping their dialogue with one another as was the case in the original.

Shabazzy
03-27-2015, 07:32 AM
You should put spoiler alerts in your post Shabazzy. Dang. Now I can't watch Alien. Thanks a lot.

Sorry dude.

safetyman
03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Sorry dude.

A joke really. I've seen Alien like a hundred times.

Shabazzy
03-29-2015, 06:15 AM
A joke really. I've seen Alien like a hundred times.

Yeah, I know.

I was being a bit facetious.